Ceramic coated manifold?

Started by BahnStormer, July 16, 2018, 08:27

BahnStormer

As mentioned by @Nvy  on the sale thread (HERE), is this recommended? And if so, are there any recommended places in the UK to get it done?

Thanks!
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

Call the midlife!

Depending where you are in the country there's Ravenblast cleaning out Derbyshire way that are currently doing a lot of ceramic work. Can't speak for long term but they have a good reputation in the community for their work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

Nvy

Quote from: BahnStormer on July 16, 2018, 08:27
As mentioned by @Nvy  on the sale thread (HERE), is this recommended? And if so, are there any recommended places in the UK to get it done?

Thanks!

On paper it should keep some more heat in the manifold and working the same way like heat wrap. It will not harm anything at best.

Bcxbcx

A friend had it done on his race car. You could touch the manifold without burning yourself after a heavy ragging on track!

https://www.zircotec.com

Done here if I remember correctly.
2000 W PFL in black

Gaz mr-s

I have a v-twin motorbike & got the "stainless" separate headers & collector box done by Camcote some years ago. The main reason was for cosmetics, with the bonus that it should improve the efficiency.
I wouldn't be touching the pipes though.....the above claim sounds extraordinary!

krazysteve

RACING, because football, cricket, rugby and golf only need ONE BALL

Call the midlife!

Quote from: krazysteve on July 16, 2018, 11:55
Give carl a ring or msg him on FB. 
https://www.facebook.com/pg/Ravenltd/photos/?ref=page_internal

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Ravenltd/posts/?ref=page_internal
Knew you'd be along sooner or later, tried to "tag" you but couldn't remember either of your two's user names.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

krazysteve

RACING, because football, cricket, rugby and golf only need ONE BALL

BahnStormer

Quote from: Bcxbcx on July 16, 2018, 10:46
A friend had it done on his race car. You could touch the manifold without burning yourself after a heavy ragging on track!

Any idea if he just had the exhaust coating product or "thermal barrier"?

Since they do full exhausts, it sounds like it might be worth waiting until the entire exhaust system is ready to be done?
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

Bcxbcx

Quote from: BahnStormer on July 16, 2018, 13:40

Any idea if he just had the exhaust coating product or "thermal barrier"?

Since they do full exhausts, it sounds like it might be worth waiting until the entire exhaust system is ready to be done?

It was a coating, in white.

I know its pretty anecdotal, but I was with him after he had a new engine in, he took it for a few laps around castle coombe, it wasn't running right. When he bought it in, he popped the bonnet, and went to work on it. I watched him check the exhaust manifold for heat (As he was working next to it) and then rest his hand on it. I touched it, I didn't burn my hand off!
I remember being quite suprised.

If I ever turbo, I'd like to get all relevant engine bay bits coated, but I imagine it's expensive!
There must be downsides too.
I know his manifold cracked, but I'm not sure whether it was related.
2000 W PFL in black

BahnStormer

:o any chance of asking if he knows why? or what what manifold that was?!?

shnazzle

Quote from: BahnStormer on July 16, 2018, 17:44

People say that wrapping the mani can lead to cracking as well. So, same concept. I don't know if there's any truth to it but I don't think I've ever seen a wrapped mani on a race car.

@Carolyn?
...neutiquam erro.

Bcxbcx

Quote from: shnazzle on July 16, 2018, 18:05

People say that wrapping the mani can lead to cracking as well. So, same concept. I don't know if there's any truth to it but I don't think I've ever seen a wrapped mani on a race car.

@Carolyn?
I asked about the crack, he said it was probably a defect on the manifold (An mitsi evo iv aftermarket one).
He generally praised the ceramic coating, as it really worked well.
2000 W PFL in black

jvanzyl

I think it's got something to do with if the coating isn't even.... Pretty hard thing to get right... But basically thinner bits of coating lead to differences in the expansion and contraction with heat and this this can cause cracking...

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Carolyn

Quote from: shnazzle on July 16, 2018, 18:05

@Carolyn?

I think you'll find wrapped manifolds on most racing cars, unless they're of the expensive sort, in which case they are made of inconel and very special.  Ceramic coating is also common and found on many racing cars.  As for anecdotal evidence of heat coating/wrapping causing cracking, it won't happen to a well-made manifold made out of good materials.  (well,  not often.  Even F1 manifolds crack occasionally.)
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Tags: