Headlight differences

Started by frogger, November 17, 2018, 13:16

frogger

Just bought some replacement pfl headlights (different sellers)... and the passenger side one hasn't got the reflector that is in both in my current car, and in the drivers side one of the replacements :-/

url=https://ibb.co/b4KJ5L][/url

What do we reckon?   Is it going to make a difference to how they look fitted and illuminated?

Is the passenger one JDM spec maybe?  It isn't E marked and the drivers side one is.  But both are toyota originals made by Koito.

frogger

And yes, the lens transparency and 'orangeness' of the indicator lens is different too, but I can live with that!

frogger

Passengers side does appear to be a JDM and drivers side an EU unit, on further research.

The cup over the bulb in the EU unit was a requirement to prevent glare... but the H4 bulb has a blackened end anyway.

Still concerned they will look different fitted.

frogger

Also Koito, the headlight manufacturer informs me Koito Europe use regrind ABS, Japan use virgin ABS.  Which explains why the EU lights crack over time compared to JDM!

Carolyn

Very interesting.  I hadn't noticed the reflectors in my Euro spec car. 

Took it for granted they were all like my JDM car....  yet another difference!
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

shnazzle

Never stop learning on this forum...
...neutiquam erro.

Topdownman

Well, to answer your question, I wouldnt like them on my car as they dont match and that would bug me.

The fact that you are asking suggests to me that it will bug you too?

The only good thing is that they are pfl so much cheaper than fls I guess if you try to get a better matching pair (as long as you dont end up with 2 of the same light but on the same side of the car!).
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

frogger

Yes... I bought another EU one this morning about an hour after this post haha.

Ones with lenses in great condition ones don't come up all that often, but thankfully a few have popped up recently, and now I have them all!

Also bought osram night breaker bulbs and osram LED sidelight bulbs. Should be a nice refresh.

Tags: