Are Springs a Mod?

Started by Johnny5, February 24, 2019, 14:32

delhusband

Why gamble. Madness, to my mind. Ditto Patricks earlier comment. Interesting and topical article.

https://www.motoringresearch.com/car-news/invalidating-insurance-modifications/
Hate pointy animals

Ardent

Not proposing gambling. Just the emphasis when declaring. It is an optional extra rather than a mod.

shnazzle

Indeed. When I say I've declared every sticker, I'm not just being cheeky. I'm not being caught out on a technicality. Besides, such things don't increase your premium with greenlight anyway
...neutiquam erro.

Ardent

Mod or option is all irrelevant.

@shnazzle summed it up earlier.

Quote.
Remember, insurance companies are in the business of collecting as much premium as possible but paying out as little as possible.
End quote.

Simple as that.

How many will be contacting their insurance companies declaring moded tyres or side repeaters tomorrow?

Essex2Visuvesi

Quote from: Ardent on February 25, 2019, 20:02
Mod or option is all irrelevant.

@shnazzle summed it up earlier.

Quote.
Remember, insurance companies are in the business of collecting as much premium as possible but paying out as little as possible.
End quote.

Simple as that.

How many will be contacting their insurance companies declaring moded tyres or side repeaters tomorrow?

Yep
Currently in the process of helping my son sort out an insurance claim.  They are refusing to pay out due to undeclared modifications.

His mods I hear you ask?
Aftermarket gear knob

Like many have said... don't give them the opportunity to screw you over

Ardent

Bossworld

Quote from: Ardent on February 25, 2019, 19:26
Toyota offered the tte spring as a
Manufacturers option.
Declare it as such. The youngest are 13 yr old. How many original bills of sale are still with the car. Who truly knows what  car was specified with what. Where does the burden of proof lie?

Taking the above insurance assessor and the spring scenario. You could well apply that to tyres.
How many here are running non stock sizes? How many are running tyres with the incorrect load or speed rating?
Anyone thats running the falkens on the front for a start. The load rating is higher, therefore not to spec. Insurance null and void.

It's one reason I've stuck with stock 185/55/15 and 215/45/16.  Though I did call Flux to tell them I'd changed the Mini over to non run flats and they weren't fussed, though at least it's noted.

That gearknob one is a bit worrying mind, might give them a call at some point and check our lists match up.

moredun

When I renewed my insurance, I give them a big list of mods from bigger wheels and tyres, coilovers, ss exhaust and manifold, braces etc to name a few

They replied a few days later saying that was ok as long as I did not increase the HP of the car. They also told me to report any further mods and keep reciepts of the items in case of a claim as it affected the value of the car.

The good news is it cost me nothing, my quote remained the same, so they got my renewal.

Winner of the Numb bum award 2019

Johnny5

One of my old cars, a Clio 182, had two small (2.5") stickers applied by a former owner.  Rang the insurance company so they couldn't later wriggle, expecting them to say no prob, no charge.  But ... not only did they charge me £25 extra, per year, but they also said they would not cover any performance mods.  They said they were only willing to cover the stickers as they were strictly non-performance related.

However, I later rang them to ask if I could have the alloys on my old 130i painted grey, and they said it didn't count as a mod, and there would be no charge.  So, they can be a fickle bunch.  Real shame there's no industry standard for exactly what is, and is not, a mod.

Call the midlife!

When I informed mine of the coil overs there were two levels of drop, obviously I only went the first level anyway but there was no increase in premium as their particular algorithms classed it as making the car safer by improving the road holding. Figure that one out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

Ardent

:notworthy: :D >:( :-\ :'(

All at the same time

Tags: