Valve timing question

Started by Petrus, November 11, 2019, 15:34

Petrus

Appearantly it makes hardly any diffence to drop a set of sports (CAT)cams in the 1ZZ.

I don´t doubt this because it is experience based.
It does not stop me wonder whý.
Comparing the standard and Cat-cam timing there should be more a difference then there is.

Any thoughts here?

Nvy

Quote from: Petrus on November 11, 2019, 15:34Appearantly it makes hardly any diffence to drop a set of sports (CAT)cams in the 1ZZ.

I don´t doubt this because it is experience based.
It does not stop me wonder whý.
Comparing the standard and Cat-cam timing there should be more a difference then there is.

Any thoughts here?

Based on my reading its due to many things combined but mainly head design, valve area, narrow intake(read TB and manifold) and header/exhaust design. Basically it lacks in everything compared to k series/2zz.

Call the midlife!

You can drop a set of stage one cams in and see some benefits with the standard ECU.
Add in some basic changes to the intake and exhaust and a piggyback/standalone and SOME have dynoed up to 170bhp.
But it's a massive money pit to look for 15-20 hp gains.
Stage 2 will improve the mid range torque but not necessarily top end.
You're kissing goodbye to at least £3k though to do it right.
60% of the time it works everytime...

Petrus

Quote from: Call the midlife! on November 11, 2019, 18:48You can drop a set of stage one cams in and see some benefits with the standard ECU.
Add in some basic changes to the intake and exhaust and a piggyback/standalone and SOME have dynoed up to 170bhp.
But it's a massive money pit to look for 15-20 hp gains.
Stage 2 will improve the mid range torque but not necessarily top end.
You're kissing goodbye to at least £3k though to do it right.

Accurate summing up of what I´d read.
All is all it seems that the design of the head; porting/combustion chamber is what sets the power graph and the rest is a rather well matched design within the parameters of environmental requirements.
Fits with Toyota going to Yamaha for a performance head and again design the perfect chain of flow = 2ZZ.

Makes sense. Still takes some to get my head accustomed to decénnia of classic tuning (for speed) around it.

Tags: