FL vs PFL struts for Koni insert project

Started by LupinYonder, March 20, 2020, 12:44

LupinYonder

Hi all
I'm planning on refreshing my struts on my 2004 FL and I have a set of PFL struts I bought as they have tien springs on them I wanted.

I know there is a ride height and stiffness difference between FL and PFL struts and wonder if it would be a problem to use the PFLs on my car considering I'd be cutting them open for the Koni strut inserts anyway.

I was also wondering if the ride height difference between FL and PFL is down to strut housing, the core pistons, or the mounting points on the car.
Thanks

Bossworld

Quote from: LupinYonder on March 20, 2020, 12:44Hi all
I'm planning on refreshing my struts on my 2004 FL and I have a set of PFL struts I bought as they have tien springs on them I wanted.

I know there is a ride height and stiffness difference between FL and PFL struts and wonder if it would be a problem to use the PFLs on my car considering I'd be cutting them open for the Koni strut inserts anyway.

I was also wondering if the ride height difference between FL and PFL is down to strut housing, the core pistons, or the mounting points on the car.
Thanks

Aftermarket rear springs are 353mm PFL and 360mm FL.  I don't believe there's anything out there that explains the difference, initial thought was to perhaps compensate for the 16" wheels on the back of the facelift.

Anything beyond that would probably require like for like comparison of Toyota/OEM parts, but I think Tomo70 found that 'Toyota' shocks were actually KYB in different boxes, and KYB only list one set >2000 regardless of facelift/pre-facelift.

Another YouTube poster is convinced that the front springs are different heights but I found no 3rd party supplier with two different sizes, to back that theory up.  Again, I don't have two brand new Toyota sets to be able to compare.

tl;dr I think it's spring differences only and even then, only on the rear.

LupinYonder

Thanks, I think I'll go ahead with the project then.

Beachbum957

This has been discussed before, and while there are sources that suggest the 2004+ FL cars were raised, there is evidence that is not true for most markets. Here is a link that covers actual measurements done on cars.  There is additional information in the thread

https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=68569.msg814513#msg814513

Koni inserts will not change the ride height, as a measurement between a stock KYB strut and one with a Koni insert shows they are the same.

We have a 2002 with Tein springs and Koni inserts and the package works very well.

LupinYonder

Thanks for the information. Mysterious. I may do some measurements myself.
I have tein springs but I think for FL and PFL they are the same, I'll measure these against my FL springs that I'll be removing.

I can also measure the total height of the old FL struts and the new PFL cut struts with the Koni inserts and tein springs. We'll see what's what.

I'll also measure ride height front and rear before and after.

I'd like to double check the spring part numbers so I get them on the right end of the car ;-)

Tags: