Air filters - advice needed from clever people!!

Started by Anonymous, April 17, 2005, 12:45

Anonymous

I'm completely new to this air filtery stuff, but am considering getting one for my '2. I hear they can increase performance, economy, and sound better too.

I've checked loads of posts and Apexi comes up a lot, but a few people say it doesn't change performance at all and is purely cosmetic. Is this true???

Is there one generally considered to be the best? I'd want it to sound decent but not annoy me on m'way drives. Also, where can I get these from? I've looked on MRS Passion and the only similar looking thingamybob they have is 305 EUR!!!

Japanparts do an Apexi 'Power Intake' for £67. Is this all i'd need or are there various tubes and bits and bobs?

I'd like to know exactly what I need, so I can go to my garage with it and say 'oi, fit this'.

SOOOOOOOOO sorry for all the questions  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   but, as you may have noticed, I am a total 'mod virgin'.   s:P :P s:P   So please help me pop my modding cherry, guys   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Anonymous

Oh, almost forgot, my '2 is new so will twiddling with the filtery bits invalidate the warranty at all?  s:flame: :flame: s:flame:

Anonymous

It's understandable that you're looking for a bit more push from the car, Markymark, but slapping in a new air filter won't give you anything at all. For the kind of money this will cost you, you are much better off buying an antiflex plate.

Should you upgrade your exhaust system with an apexi, an H&K, a hi-flow cat, a TTE, dual pipes, something along these lines, then you want to upgrade the filter or go with a custom intake. Here's where the TRD filter comes into play, and it's a straight drop-in. Comes with a washing kit so you theoretically keep it for the life of the car. Expected gains? About 1/4hp.

Anonymous

Ah. Thanks for the advice. What are these antiflex plates?

spyderman

here it is

m http://www.spyderchat.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=19361 m

you can find more info, by clicking here

m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/search.php m

btw, since you mentioned your car is new, if it's a 2004-05 model, i dont really think it will make that difference to your car.. any other thoughts?
As you set out for Ithaka
hope your road is a long one,
full of adventure, full of discovery. Cyclops,
angry Poseidon - don\'t be afraid of them.you\'ll never find things like that one on your way
as long as you keep your thoughts raised high

-SOT-

markiii

oh yes it will just ask roger
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Markyboy"Oh, almost forgot, my '2 is new so will twiddling with the filtery bits invalidate the warranty at all?  s:flame: :flame: s:flame:

my garage says yes, but i know that others say no, go talk to where you got her from, they're probably the best people to advise, I fitted an Apexi to mine regardless and then just wack the stock box back in for services, they'll never know  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Tags: