Temperature Guage

Started by Chilli Girl, September 24, 2021, 18:26

Chilli Girl

Well, I was stuck in very slow stop start Friday evening traffic tonight for 45 mins. Roof down of course & noticed that the temperature gauge remained on half way throughout. I couldn't decifer if the fan was clicking on or not due to other vehicles close by. I was just surprised not to have seen the needle move beyond half way as outside temperature was still around 20 degrees in full sun. Then I suppose if it was Sapphire's fan that I could hear, it was doing the job ;D Anyone else notices whether their needle moves beyond half way in heavy traffic?
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

Ardent

Never does

But  when I have an obd dongle plugged in and the temp is displayed. Up n down like you would sort of expect.

Think the needle does not move to preserve calmness.

Petrus

Slow traffic, 50 degrees in the shade,tarmac scorching, bang in the middle.

Dev

It is basically and idiot gauge to show overheating but not actual temp measurement. I believe there is a dead spot that keeps it locked at the halfway point once it is in its normal operating range and will only move once it exceeds a parameter indicating an overheat issue. It is unlike true mechanical gauges that will fluctuate. This is basically a digital to mechanical gauge that is driven from the ECU. 

Having the fans turn on when in traffic or idling is normal. Its part of the heat regulation and if it doesn't cycle on and off it is abnormal.
  These cars can take the heat far better with ECU management unlike cars from the past.

Chilli Girl

15 years plus and still learning about these awesome little cars.  Thanks @Dev  ;D
And still can't spell gauge!  My 23 yr old bike's temperature gauge moves to 3/4 and then the fan cuts in and you see the needle slowly return to normal. I was comparing Sapphire to that but now I know it's different. Thank you.
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

jonbill

Nice to hear something on it works properly 😀😬🙄

Dev

Quote from: Chilli Girl on September 24, 2021, 19:5015 years plus and still learning about these awesome little cars.  Thanks @Dev  ;D
And still can't spell gauge!  My 23 yr old bike's temperature gauge moves to 3/4 and then the fan cuts in and you see the needle slowly return to normal. I was comparing Sapphire to that but now I know it's different. Thank you.

I owned an air cooled sport bike that had an interesting way of temp regulation. If it got too hot from idling in traffic on a very hot day the engine would cut out but it was an extremely rare occurrence. It had no temp gauge so you never knew it was too hot but it was self regulating without damaging anything. After five minutes sitting it would be just fine. 
This is just before they went with a water cooled engine when they introduced the FZR. At the time I thought water cooling was better and it was for more power but it turns out that the air cooled version that I had handled better because it weighed less with no appendages like a radiator and hoses. It was also far more durable mechanically.

Chilli Girl

Yes, mines an air cooled but a parallel twin ;D

Petrus

Quote from: Dev on September 24, 2021, 20:14but it turns out that the air cooled version that I had handled better because it weighed less with no appendages like a radiator and hoses. It was also far more durable mechanically.

Inherently reliable it is called.
It also handles overheating WAY better than liquid cooling.

THE issue with it nowadays is noise regulations. The mantle of liquid damps sound nicely whereas fins ámplify it.

Next comes emission control. It is easier to get that squeezed when the engine operated in a narrow temp. range and aircooled engines tend to have a far wider one.

Dev

Quote from: Petrus on September 25, 2021, 17:24
Quote from: Dev on September 24, 2021, 20:14but it turns out that the air cooled version that I had handled better because it weighed less with no appendages like a radiator and hoses. It was also far more durable mechanically.

Inherently reliable it is called.
It also handles overheating WAY better than liquid cooling.

THE issue with it nowadays is noise regulations. The mantle of liquid damps sound nicely whereas fins ámplify it.

Next comes emission control. It is easier to get that squeezed when the engine operated in a narrow temp. range and aircooled engines tend to have a far wider one.

Very true. The inline 4 air cooled engine sounded like an exotic sports car at idle and at high rpms with a sweet tone. It was less raspy as the multi valve water-cooled engines that came after it. 

I think the best sounding engine of all time is the Honda CBX with the inline 6.

Petrus

Quote from: Dev on September 25, 2021, 23:31I think the best sounding engine of all time is the Honda CBX with the inline 6.

The Benelli 250/4 and 750/6 sounded just a bit less civilised.
The Laverda Jota 1000/3  (with high lift cams and not réally legal exhaust off the dealer floor) gave one goose bumps too. Mán what a beast to ride and coming back home in the small hours of the night; cool, a bit most air, shrédding the silence with the raucous ´asymetric´ bark... woooofff.

Ardent

@Chilli Girl

Although the gauge does not move from centre, at least there is a gauge.

I say that, because my daily, a CT200 does not have a temp gauge/display at all.

That done my head in.

Tags: