Grease leaking from rubber boots

Started by Mr Lazy, November 21, 2021, 11:47

Mr Lazy

While trying to put my MR2 back together, I've just noticed that grease is coming out of all the rubber boots that cover the ball joints on the outer front suspension and steering linkages. I think I've brought it on myself because I've had the struts off for ages and the castings (hub carriers?) have been left unsupported.
The trouble is, I can't actually see any splits in the boots and they appear to be positioned correctly, but grease still comes out when I rotate them in the normal position. So how do I repair something that doesn't appear to be broken? Also, what kind of grease should I refill it with?

Dev

I would have to see it but if it's just a little ooze of grease from the top it should be fine. Sometimes removing it from the knuckle let's some grease seep out. My belief is there is more than enough grease packing to lubricate the ball joint.

Mr Lazy

Thanks Dev. Quite a bit seemed to be coming out of he bottom of the boot, but I'll see how it is when everything is back together and settled down.

Dev

Quote from: Mr Lazy on November 21, 2021, 17:29Thanks Dev. Quite a bit seemed to be coming out of he bottom of the boot, but I'll see how it is when everything is back together and settled down.

I believe there might be replacement boots from the dealer that can be sourced. From what I vaguely remember there is a grove that holds the bottom of the boot in place and if it has stretched or deformed it possible that is where the grease is leaking. I would repack it with specific ball joint grease once you get a new boot.

Mr Lazy

Quote from: Dev on November 21, 2021, 22:17I believe there might be replacement boots from the dealer that can be sourced. From what I vaguely remember there is a grove that holds the bottom of the boot in place and if it has stretched or deformed it possible that is where the grease is leaking. I would repack it with specific ball joint grease once you get a new boot.

Thanks again. That brings me on to my next question...how do I actually remove the nut on the lower arm above the ball joint? The manual quotes a Toyota specific tool, but is this really necessary, or is there a way around it to avoid buying a tool that I will probably only use once? I was going to finally replace the whole arms, but I can't get them off.

Dev

Quote from: Mr Lazy on November 21, 2021, 23:22
Quote from: Dev on November 21, 2021, 22:17I believe there might be replacement boots from the dealer that can be sourced. From what I vaguely remember there is a grove that holds the bottom of the boot in place and if it has stretched or deformed it possible that is where the grease is leaking. I would repack it with specific ball joint grease once you get a new boot.

Thanks again. That brings me on to my next question...how do I actually remove the nut on the lower arm above the ball joint? The manual quotes a Toyota specific tool, but is this really necessary, or is there a way around it to avoid buying a tool that I will probably only use once? I was going to finally replace the whole arms, but I can't get them off.

If you mean the castle nut you can use any socket.  The hard part is separating the ball joint from the hub.

I use a tool like this. It makes removal very easy.

You cannot view this attachment.

Mr Lazy

Ah ok. I could see that a socket would fit, but as it is a bit seized up it seemed to be putting a bit of strain on the steering rack. I suppose that doesn't matter if it is allowed to turn to full lock. I don't think I need to actually split the ball joint, but I'll bear it in mind, thanks.

Dev

Quote from: Mr Lazy on November 23, 2021, 00:25Ah ok. I could see that a socket would fit, but as it is a bit seized up it seemed to be putting a bit of strain on the steering rack. I suppose that doesn't matter if it is allowed to turn to full lock. I don't think I need to actually split the ball joint, but I'll bear it in mind, thanks.

An impact gun is needed to get that nut off. Fortunately there are many cheap electric options for impact guns these days but I would invest in a good one if you ever plan to do more work like this.

Tags: