Sticky caliper now!

Started by Chilli Girl, November 22, 2021, 18:16

Joesson

Quote from: TheTigerUK on November 27, 2021, 16:58
Quote from: Bossworld on November 27, 2021, 13:53My old car failed its MOT on the handbrake last week (for a change).  Rear calipers were brand new from Brakes International in 2018 and the handbrake cables were most recently replaced in 2019 I think. I've seen others mention premature failure from the Brakes International ones.

The calipers from Simon Sinclair / caliperrefurb.com seem to get a good write up and are reasonably priced.

Just looked at those prices, almost cheaper than restoring a set.

Be aware that repair kits are priced as a pair, £34 front total, the caliper as a single item £75front each. I don't believe the caliper comes with new slider pins or brake shims so they are extra in both cases, but nevertheless competitive pricing iirc.

Bossworld

Quote from: Ardent on November 27, 2021, 17:32
Quote from: Bossworld on November 27, 2021, 13:53I've seen others mention premature failure from the Brakes International ones.

I have never come across that.
Was that on here or elsewhere?
Do they elaborate as to what fails?

I'm going to rewrite this post as I've just remembered what it was.

Re: first point, funnily enough it may have come from you originally :D  https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?msg=786915

Re: Brakes International vs. others, the bit I've just remembered - I recall another post where someone mentioned a difference in the design of the handbrake cam/lever on the caliper itself.  There's a great YouTube video that shows the sheer amount of effort needed on the MR2 caliper arm, for the little bit of movement it does mechanically (vs. hydraulically).

I think the last discussion focussed on whether the difference in lever arms (possibly length) was a contributory factor in why some people had replaced cables and calipers, and still had a rubbish handbrake.

For what it's worth, the ones Simon advertises (via Frentech I believe) are billed as being brand new rather than remanufactured. The Brakes International ones are billed as being a 'budweg remanufactured caliper'.

Still staggers me as to how bad the handbrake is on these cars given the simplicity of the mechanism / the similar mechs used on a lot of other cars these days without the associated issues

Ardent

Brakes International list 2 separate part numbers for the rear caliper. Based on year.

Some swear there is no difference.
I don't know.

What I "believe" is.
Even with new everything, disc's, pads,cables calipers and everything working to spec. The spec is just not very good.
Not to mention the cables follow a soft S curve  not a straight line. Always going to be a compromise.

Ardent

@Bossworld

Just been back and re read the link in your #26 post.

Good read. But no reply from OP in the end.

Bossworld

Quote from: Ardent on November 28, 2021, 11:50@Bossworld

I'm going to try and ring my stepdad later as according to Mum, he's replaced the calipers but still experiencing issues.  Trying to relay the pedal dance, the wind out/in routine and the rest remotely is difficult enough. 

Re: FL/PFL, vaguely remember some difference in the design of the piston itself being mentioned. Danger is I'm verging on turning this into unsubstantiated rumour and the rest. I don't think we've ever found an answer to the length of the official Toyota cables either, other than they are listed separately for PFL and FL.  There are some aftermarket manufacturers who quote different lengths, and some who don't.

Ardent

Quote from: Bossworld on November 28, 2021, 13:07
Quote from: Ardent on November 28, 2021, 11:50@Bossworld

I'm going to try and ring my stepdad later as according to Mum, he's replaced the calipers but still experiencing issues.  Trying to relay the pedal dance, the wind out/in routine and the rest remotely is difficult enough. 

Re: FL/PFL, vaguely remember some difference in the design of the piston itself being mentioned. Danger is I'm verging on turning this into unsubstantiated rumour and the rest. I don't think we've ever found an answer to the length of the official Toyota cables either, other than they are listed separately for PFL and FL.  There are some aftermarket manufacturers who quote different lengths, and some who don't.
For what its worth.
I believe mine are still the original. Have noticed when I have been ferreting around underneath. They are colour coded. Either white and blue or yellow and blue. (wibbly wobbly memory)
Just bits of tape. But have that original been there forever look.

Chilli Girl

Well, returned to Salisbury this afternoon in Mum's automatic little 2, leaving  poor Sapphire suspended in the air at a garage in Somerset awaiting a new osf brake caliper. :o
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

Ardent

where is it coming from?
Almost sure mine turned up the next day.

Chilli Girl

Not quite sure @Ardent - I was surprised it was taking this long for it to arrive.  Looking forward to getting her back on the road this week. ;D
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

Chilli Girl

Sapphire is fixed once more.  New OSF caliper fitted this morning. Collecting her on Wednesday afternoon. ;D

Tags: