Tinny rattle ?

Started by TheTigerUK, March 3, 2022, 18:12

TheTigerUK

I often get a tinny rattle from the back end when moving off, when not doing high revs or when I take my foot off the accelerator especially if going slow or if I change up to early etc etc.

Is this the norm from the exhaust or from one of the heat shields ?

Its not a major problem but it niggles :)

Thanks
Say it with love, say it with flowers but never, never, say it in writing.

The idea is to die young as late as possible :)

Ardent

Sheilds are often top of the list of usual suspects.

There can be a sneaky rattle in the cat shield. There can be some sort of spacer that detaches and can rattle inside the outer sheild.

Joesson

Quote from: TheTigerUK on March  3, 2022, 18:12I often get a tinny rattle from the back end when moving off, when not doing high revs or when I take my foot off the accelerator especially if going slow or if I change up to early etc etc.

Is this the norm from the exhaust or from one of the heat shields ?

Its not a major problem but it niggles :)

Thanks

That will be the catalyser heat shield welds breaking particularly around the exhaust flexi area. DIY mendable, I did mine at same time as de pre cat.
PS .That is to say exactly what Jason said

paulj

If you are not changing any exhaust components you can solve the rattle by wrapping jubilee clips/straps around them. I did that to mine about 3 years ago as a temporary fix and it is still permanently temporary.
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

J88TEO

I used a TamTorque clip on mine and no more rattles. Drove me mad!

TheTigerUK

Thanks for the replies, any chance of a photo showing me were the rattle is, sorry.

paulj

You'll spot it if you get under the car and knock the heat shields.  Make sure it is cold first!  The shields have small tack welds and rusty nuts holding them in place so you will see the ones which are loose.  One of mine wasn't a weld, it was a nut that had rusted enough to allow movement.  If I remember when home this weekend I will add a photo
Today
In the late 1980's

J88TEO

! swapped out a few bolts & nuts and added the clamp to the mid section.

Joesson

Quote from: J88TEO on March  3, 2022, 20:41I used a TamTorque clip on mine and no more rattles. Drove me mad!

I had to Google that. Now I note that these can be fastened / unfastened only with a special tool apparently a 1/4 inch hexagon, is that correct, did you already have the special tool?

J88TEO

Yes you need the TamTorque too - its special and different from the usual hex bit you get.
We use these clamps at our work ( putting up parking signs ).

TheTigerUK

Have I found the culprit ? :) awkward to get too.

Carolyn

That'll be the bugger.  Take the nappy off and it's no problem.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

normanh

Thats exactly the same as mine went, I also found the the weld on the lower shield cracked as well when I replaced the cat.

Norman

TheTigerUK

Quote from: Carolyn on March  5, 2022, 16:25That'll be the bugger.  Take the nappy off and it's no problem.

Took your advice (again) and like you say much easier, three bolts in total had rusted away.

Nappy came off without problem but I would like to replace the three self tappers at the rear, any idea what the correct ones are ? thanks.

Really nice to drive without hearing the occasional rattle.

Carolyn

@TheTigerUK

M6 x 1.5 by quite short.  ;D

TheTigerUK

Quote from: Carolyn on March  6, 2022, 17:19@TheTigerUK

M6 x 1.5 by quite short.  ;D

Thats what was at the front but at the rear there was 3 self tappers.

Carolyn

Ah - they are quite fat ones.  I can't recall the size, but they can come with a 10mm AF dead on them.  On fleabay

Joesson

Quote from: J88TEO on March  4, 2022, 10:28Yes you need the TamTorque too - its special and different from the usual hex bit you get.
We use these clamps at our work ( putting up parking signs ).

Thank you, now I have to find something to use them on!

TheTigerUK

Quote from: Carolyn on March  6, 2022, 17:31Ah - they are quite fat ones.  I can't recall the size, but they can come with a 10mm AF dead on them.  On fleabay

I think they could be these 90159-60383.

TheTigerUK

Quote from: Carolyn on March  6, 2022, 17:31Ah - they are quite fat ones.  I can't recall the size, but they can come with a 10mm AF dead on them.  On fleabay

These are the ones, arrived today.

paulj

I applaud your attention to detail with searching out OEM self tappers. I would have probably gone with "whatever was in the shed"
Today
In the late 1980's

TheTigerUK

My other hobby is watches and if possible when restoring a watch especially vintage we always want to use original parts whenever available even if they cost quite a lot more, the use of aftermarket parts is becoming more and more necessary but i'm not keen but has OEM parts dry up there is often no choice.

ps: It is a pleasure to drive now that the tinny rattle is no more :)

J88TEO

Do you restore watches?
I have 2 Seikos - not worth much but has sentimental value to me.

Ardent

TheTigerUK

Quote from: J88TEO on March 11, 2022, 21:35Do you restore watches?
I have 2 Seikos - not worth much but has sentimental value to me.

It is mainly Seiko that I collect, I did have 400 at one time but i'm down to less than 80 now, parts are getting hard to find and expensive, repairs often cost way more than the watch is worth.

Tags: