Clunk / click heard and felt through the Brake pedal

Started by B_Tank88, March 17, 2022, 14:53

B_Tank88

Last couple of weeks noticed a click or a clunk that's heard and felt through the brake pedal. Fairly consistent, although not every single time I brake.

I had a quick feel around the brake pedal itself trying to find a loose bolt or nut or something but couldn't find anything. Quite nervous driving it like this.

Any idea what could be? Must be something between the brake pedal and the servo, surely something part of the linkage which has become a bit loose. Almost like a bolt/stud thread slipping or something.
2004 MR2 Roadster Sable/Red<br />2005 Corsa 1.2<br />2003 E46 M3 Coupe SMG

McMr2

Quote from: B_Tank88 on March 17, 2022, 14:53Last couple of weeks noticed a click or a clunk that's heard and felt through the brake pedal. Fairly consistent, although not every single time I brake.

I had a quick feel around the brake pedal itself trying to find a loose bolt or nut or something but couldn't find anything. Quite nervous driving it like this.

Any idea what could be? Must be something between the brake pedal and the servo, surely something part of the linkage which has become a bit loose. Almost like a bolt/stud thread slipping or something.

Does it happen after you've had the car in reverse? Might seem odd but this happens on my daily driver, brake pads are due replacement and they move around slightly in the calipers.

If not might be worth checking there's nothing loose on the caliper, mounting bolts etc. Might be slider bolts needing greased too.
2004 Silver. Stock(ish).

Dev

As it was suggested above you need to check the caliper mounting bolts.
In addition to this you need to check the control arms, ball joint and pretty much a full inspection shaking everything until you hear a click. Compare this with both sides.

If that is unsuccessful then you need to remove the caliper and inspect the brake pads for any cracks or misalignment. 

B_Tank88

Got a local garage to give it a check, recommended replacing front shocks and springs (one shock was dead anyway) and anti roll bar links.

Got the lot done and the noise does seem to be gone after driving it a few days.

Subframe next..

McMr2

Quote from: B_Tank88 on April  2, 2022, 09:43Got a local garage to give it a check, recommended replacing front shocks and springs (one shock was dead anyway) and anti roll bar links.

Got the lot done and the noise does seem to be gone after driving it a few days.

Subframe next..

Nice when a problem is solved, bet it feels good for some new parts.

Did you replace them with Toyota parts, just out of interest?
2004 Silver. Stock(ish).

B_Tank88

Quote from: McMr2 on April  3, 2022, 21:14Nice when a problem is solved, bet it feels good for some new parts.

Did you replace them with Toyota parts, just out of interest?

I let the garage source them, they probably aren't OEM parts most likely aftermarket but I'm ok with that.

Does make me wonder what it was it really sounded like something not right in the linkage.

Could have been the shock sticking maybe, I suppose that would make sense. I didn't remember hearing the noise on speed bumps though.. oh well it doesn't matter!

Tags: