MOT failure!

Started by Chilli Girl, March 17, 2022, 18:20

Chilli Girl

Well I suppose 2 out of 3 of my vehicles passed this month so I can't complain.  My first car I've ever had that has ever failed its' MOT, strange feeling! :'(

Failed on the dreaded handbrake.

Minor defects were:- both front dust covers severely deteriorated.
                     rear number plate lamp out, naughty Chilli Girl, no excuse for this ::)

Advisories were:- one headlight lens, expected this.
                  Front coil springs both corroded, knew about this.
                  Brake disc slightly worn but not excessive.

So all in all, I think I got away lightly for over a 21 yr old. ;D The MOT tester thought it was a good solid car so that made me feel better. He'd owned loads of Japanese imports so knew the car inside out which was nice.
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

Carolyn

Do you want a hand with the handbrake?
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Chilli Girl

Thanks Carolyn for your kind offer but the MOT tester said bring it in after I've had my holidays and he hopes to be able to adjust it and he said he'll give her a new MOT ;D.  The other bits he mentioned arn't too massive things to sort, are they?
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

Carolyn

Quote from: Chilli Girl on March 17, 2022, 18:49Thanks Carolyn for your kind offer but the MOT tester said bring it in after I've had my holidays and he hopes to be able to adjust it and he said he'll give her a new MOT ;D.  The other bits he mentioned arn't too massive things to sort, are they?

Send him a copy of our 'how to'.  Sounds like you have a good man on the job!

Chilli Girl

Yes he was brilliant, he seemed very well educated as I just listened and didn't let on that I also knew abit about them and what he described was excellent. He knew the handbrakes on these cars were always abit of a pain. He talked about his Mk 1 & Mk 2's he owned. Interesting and honest guy. ;D

JohnGee

Quote from: Chilli Girl on March 17, 2022, 19:45Yes he was brilliant, he seemed very well educated as I just listened and didn't let on that I also knew abit about them and what he described was excellent. He knew the handbrakes on these cars were always abit of a pain. He talked about his Mk 1 & Mk 2's he owned. Interesting and honest guy. ;D

Sounds like you turned a negative situation into a fairly positive one for the near future. Good news, Jane.

John

2006 Roadster, manual, leather, in Sable

puma2

:(  :( always sad with with a fail even minor :(  :( 
like you say Jane some easy and not to expensive fix there :)
more important  is the positivity from your self and your faith in your MOT person  :)  :)

My 2 is about to fail on handbrake and rear brakes more of this come when i get it sorted hopefully before MOT  runs out at end of month  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:( 

TheTigerUK

When I bought mine from a trader I paid him his asking price which I now know was too much, hey ho :) but he did put 13 months MOT on it which I now know was handy and saved me some hassle and gives me plenty of time to sort out any problems hopefully.

I found out this week that a guy who lives just round the corner from me runs a garage/MOT center, which could be handy to know :)
Say it with love, say it with flowers but never, never, say it in writing.

The idea is to die young as late as possible :)

puma2

Quote from: TheTigerUK on March 18, 2022, 12:10When I bought mine from a trader I paid him his asking price which I now know was too much, hey ho :) but he did put 13 months MOT on it which I now know was handy and saved me some hassle and gives me plenty of time to sort out any problems hopefully.

I found out this week that a guy who lives just round the corner from me runs a garage/MOT center, which could be handy to know :)

sound like a little win there with someone you can trust hopefully

Chilli Girl

So as most of you know Sapphire had some minor MOT defects so any advice please on costs/labour for the following work to be done on her. Is this a matter of urgency to get done/anything else at the same time nearby to do too bearing in mind her age?

Anti-roll bar linkage ball dust covers both severely deteriorated. 

Thanks,

Carolyn

20 quid for parts and less than an hour's labour.

fawtytoo

Weird. Mine just failed the MOT on the handbrake on the same day. Turned out the n/s cable was seized.
But like you, not bad for a 20 year old car.
"My name is not important" - Slartibartfast

Mickemo

Quote from: Chilli Girl on March 17, 2022, 19:45Yes he was brilliant, he seemed very well educated as I just listened and didn't let on that I also knew abit about them and what he described was excellent. He knew the handbrakes on these cars were always abit of a pain. He talked about his Mk 1 & Mk 2's he owned. Interesting and honest guy. ;D
Hi @Chilli Girl sorry to hear you had a MOT fail, did you take it to Stuart in the end?

Chilli Girl

Passed MOT today after adjusting handbrake which just about holds, it's a close one the MOT tester said :o I see he's put it as a minor advisory but that'll do.

puma2

:) well that's you done for year plus now gives you time if you want to improve on your handbrake and any little jobs that will help with next years pass

Tags: