Rear ARB bracket screw issue

Started by ralf321, March 22, 2022, 17:40

ralf321

Hello,

today I started to remove my rotten rear subframe. I still struggle with some bolts but the 4 screws for the ARB brackets ruined my day.
- 1st one: snapped
- 2nd one: inner nut came loose, screw turns together with nut
- 3rd one: came out as is should
- 4th one: inner nut came loose, screw turns together with nut
My plan now is, after cutting the head off #2&4, to make a bracket with 2 bolts, weld it to the frame and fix the ARB brackets with nuts.
Any smarter Idea ? Is there any way to get the nuts out of the frame?
I am pretty sure I am not the first one with this issue...

BR
Ralf

Call the midlife!

I might be remembering wrong but I think I heard of something doing something similar but cutting a hole out above the nut and using a long socket/extension then repairing the hole and welding a nut back in.
60% of the time it works everytime...

Joesson

@ralf321
An alternative to welding could be drilling. Not necessarily drilling out the old fixings/ nuts, which can be awkward, but slightly to one side of the existing position.
If you can drill through, perhaps using the bush, bracket and ARB as a template to keep everything in the correct line, then a single sided fixing could be used.
Such fixings are Riv nuts, that require a setting tool, the lower priced ones not having good reviews or a thin wall fitting such as a TWbolt from
https://www.blindbolt.co.uk/

ralf321

@Joesson: Thank you for the inspiration, I did not think abt. Riv nuts. I found some here with a hexagonal shaft. In addition to drilling, they require some filing but at least they should not come loose and rotate.
I have to sleep over this.

ralf321

Today was the day. I bought the small 50mm angle grinder from Proxxon and as planed, cutted half the screwhead and bracket so the ARB came off. Then I drilled a 6 mm hole next to the centre hole. Through this, I saw that it is a very small square nut on the inside. So I drilled another 3 holes in order to reach every corner of the nut. I welded the nut back in and hoped that the heat might losen the bolt but no way. I ended up drilling them out and recutting the thread. I am afraid that I will run into then same pita when working at the front ARB.
Wewill see...

Tags: