Strip and restore side mirrors.

Started by TheTigerUK, April 1, 2022, 20:12

TheTigerUK

I bought some plated mirrors for my 2 from Yahoo Japan, my Japanese is limited to zero but the seller did mention rust.

Over the last couple of days I have started stripping them down.

They are both seized solid so I have started working on one for starters so soaked in plus gas and removed a couple of parts but still seized.

Today gave it another go and more plus gas and I have got it moving on its base, but still stiff but moving.

I would like to split the base from the top but it looks like I need a small spring compression tool which I havent got so that I can remove the clip holding the shaft in place, it would be nice to clean all traces of rust from the shaft, don't know on that yet.

The base is a REALLY nice metallic green so I have either got to use the one on my existing mirrors which I think is easier said than done or spray these black, I think spraying these is the easier option plus it leaves my existing ones as is.

All good "fun"  ::)

Say it with love, say it with flowers but never, never, say it in writing.

The idea is to die young as late as possible :)

Joesson

@TheTigerUK

John, the mirrors are notoriously stiff, some Members have thought that they don't rotate, but given some gentle persuasion and lubrication they do.
I think I would pull the cable out and then you may be able to compress the spring with two pairs of needle nose ( or similar fine point ) pliers, but then you would need a third hand to slide the clip off.
May be better to leave well enough alone!

TheTigerUK

I think that spring will need more than a needle nose pliers on it unfortuanatly.

The wire has a plug either end so it won't pull through.

I am leaning towards cleaning it all up the best I can and then spray the base in situ.

Joesson

Quote from: TheTigerUK on April  1, 2022, 21:01I think that spring will need more than a needle nose pliers on it unfortuanatly.

The wire has a plug either end so it won't pull through.

I am leaning towards cleaning it all up the best I can and then spray the base in situ.

Not meant to last 20 years and be taken apart for renovation obviously!
But as with our cars the have made it this far.
Probably best to leave well enough alone.
I have soaked small parts in vinegar to " convert" rust , I don't know what proprietary rust killers would do to nearby paint finish/ chrome etc.

Bernie

I had the base sprayed before fitting and they are a bit clunky but do fold I guess keep persevering

https://youtu.be/IfG1nLZpLeM >:(
Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

TheTigerUK

I stripped the right (drivers) side today, which even though it was seized it wasent seized as bad as the left side.

After stripping it I worked it until it was totally free.

Now it is totally free I find the drivers side has four positions.

Position 1) Fully folded to face the door window and stops.
Position 2) Moves to 45 deg position and stops with a clunk.
Position 3) Moves to 135 deg position and stops with a clunk.
Position 4) Fully open to face away from the car and stops.

Please note the deg figures given are just estimates to make the explanation of the clunk positions easier :)

I found the passenger side has the same amount of movement but it moves freely with no positional clunks.

I wish I could remove the base from the top to see whats there and clean the shaft better.

When I freed the mirrors on my 2 I did find there was a clunk on the right and not on the left.

Any idea what the white grease would be that has been used ?

Joesson

@TheTigerUK
The white grease is likely to be Lithium grease. That is white and a general purpose grease.

TheTigerUK

Quote from: Joesson on April  2, 2022, 22:37@TheTigerUK
The white grease is likely to be Lithium grease. That is white and a general purpose grease.

Thats what I was thinking but I had read this. These plastic gears and rubber shrouds.

Lithium-based lubricants are used in cars and machinery in general. It's not advisable to use them on plastic parts. As lithium is based on petroleum, it tends to speed up rubber and plastic components decay. Lithium-based grease can withstand high temperatures and are perfect for cars, heavy machinery, and guns.

Joesson

Quote from: TheTigerUK on April  3, 2022, 14:12Thats what I was thinking but I had read this. These plastic gears and rubber shrouds.

Lithium-based lubricants are used in cars and machinery in general. It's not advisable to use them on plastic parts. As lithium is based on petroleum, it tends to speed up rubber and plastic components decay. Lithium-based grease can withstand high temperatures and are perfect for cars, heavy machinery, and guns.

Maybe that's part of built in obsolescence!
Perhaps the white grease you are seeing is a silicone grease?

Carolyn

Lithium is an element. As such it has nothing to do with petroleum, which is a mish-mash of various hydrocarbons.  Some hydrocarbons (found in the grease that may or may not contain Lithium, depending on its formulation), can attack plastics.  'Grease' is catch-all term for a very high viscosity lubricant, which will usually contain hydrocarbons and can contain many different additives and compounds including Silicon, Lithium, Molybdenum and so on.

Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

TheTigerUK

SV-3

'03 Mk3 Chilli Red (Avon ZV7's: 26F/32R)
Sony WX-920BT
"Hardtop Cognoscenti"
"Stock Cubed"
"AirCon Aficionado"
"Keeper of the Beeper"
Ex '88 Mk1b White (Yokohama A539's: 26F/28R)
"Here we all are, rumours and old toffee abound." John Martyn

Tags: