Feeding Power Cable from Battery to rear bins

Started by Anonymous, May 31, 2005, 14:55

Anonymous

Just looking at running some 4 guage power cable from battery to amplifier.

How on earth am I to get this cable into the cabin.

Thanks

Stewart

kanujunkie

Stew,

2 ways for this one

1) drill a hole in the firewall and put in a new grommit

2) just outboard of the ECU in the corner of the LHS bin, you will find a nice big grommit, if you pop it out forward you'll find it's actually in 2 parts, an outer cover and an inner made of sealant, simply cut off some of the sealant, pass your wire through the cover, add some sealant to the inner part and plonk it back in the hole. It sounds relatively easy but will envolve a painful back and a lot of swearing, but with a bit of time and patience the wireing can be made to follow all the stock wireing.

Good Luck  s:D :D s:D
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Hi Stu

Did what you said mate and made a hole in the silicone of the drivers side rubber boot. I pushed through 8 guage first then puled it back through with 4 guage and covered it in fairy liquid and it slid through really easily.

Do you think I should silicone it up again or will the cable make a seal?

Also, any good earthing points that you know about in the bin area?

markiii

the bolts in the bin can be used for earth however as you are so close to teh battery I just ran earth wires through as well.

then you know you have a clean ground.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

kanujunkie

Quote from: "samhain"Do you think I should silicone it up again or will the cable make a seal?

i'd seal it up, better to be safe than sorry, not worth getting water on your expensive amps, bath sealant or something like that will be fine for the job
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"the bolts in the bin can be used for earth however as you are so close to the battery I just ran earth wires through as well.

then you know you have a clean ground.

As I am using the drivers side rubber I am at the opposite side of the battery, I don't think I have enough earth cable to reach, and it would mean that 2 4 guage cable going through the one rubber. Wouldn't that be too much?

I have to say I am a bit nervous to pierce the one at the passenger side as it looks like a more important entry point to the car

Thanks

markiii

both mine come through the passenger side grommet and have had no issues for 2 years.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

kanujunkie

your earth cable needs to be as short as possible, mine is only 6" long. As for the passenger side grommet, well it's awkward to go through but it the only real option and like Mark i've had no other issues from going thru that way
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "kanujunkie"your earth cable needs to be as short as possible, mine is only 6" long. As for the passenger side grommet, well it's awkward to go through but it the only real option and like Mark i've had no other issues from going thru that way

No probs, I will put the cables through the passenger side next to battery and that way all will fit.

Thanks

Tags: