Headlight flicker

Started by Anonymous, October 17, 2005, 08:21

Anonymous

Hi Guys,
When using the headlights on full beam, I get the blue tell tail in the dash flickering on and off, and somtimes on and off for slightly longer periods.  This seems to co-ordinate with a flickering on the road ahead, but cannot work out from which side.
Does this mean that one of the bulbs is close to failing?
Does the non lighting of the blue tell tail mean a bulb is out completely?

Thanks
Ian

kanujunkie

more than likely, what usually happens with filaments is the solder at the end gets heated and the flux seperates/gases off. This then causes a hot junction and the bulb blows internally. If i were you i'd have one in rediness for when it goes, or just swap em both out now
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Just a piece of, perhaps, useless advice: change bulbs in pairs.

Anonymous

Thanks for the advise.
I am interested as to the reasoning behind changing bulbs in pairs?

Ian

kanujunkie

bulbs can age and have a less crisper and more yellowed look, newer gases do help to prevent this but the stock ones will suffer slightly. No real reason to change them as a pair as you wont notice it enough to make a difference
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

Like Stu said, bulbs do age.  The light intensity is not the same between an old and a new bulb but, as most things, it depends on the bulb type.  Changing them in pairs is just good practice; not mandatory or important.

roger

Doesn't look like anybody has spotted it, but in yesterdays paper I saw that Toyota are recalling 1.2m cars because of flickering headlights!

They say not many GB are involved, mainly Japan, and all RH drive. So if yours is an import from Japan its a good chance this is the problem.

I'll see if I can find an on-line article and I'll post seperately.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

spit

Quote from: "roger"Doesn't look like anybody has spotted it, but in yesterdays paper I saw that Toyota are recalling 1.2m cars because of flickering headlights!

I'll see if I can find an on-line article and I'll post seperately.

I just caught your other post Roger. Good work matey; Champion sleuth  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

I've got a bit of a flicker too ('99 MR-S), but its barely discernable & the dash beam indicator doesn't dance like Ian's.

Will raise it with MrT today - no doubt be met with blank stares!
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

Good spot Roger.  Never had any such issues with my '2.  It's a UK car.

Anonymous

Have replaced both bulbs and for the first light up, I got a small flicker but now after a few days use has stopped.  So hopefully dodgy bulbs now sorted.
Mine is a UK car, but if it returns, I shall go see MrT.

Thanks all for the help.

kanujunkie

it may be the bulb holder as well, they do tarnish up slightly and may require a bit of cleaning
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Tags: