Horn

Started by Anonymous, October 31, 2005, 08:42

Anonymous

is it only my 2 or do they all have worst sounding horns ever?  can i change this?

edward.carter

yep they are all as bad! sure can be changed though, dont know if anyone has  s:?: :?: s:?:

Anonymous

so annoying, aggresive looking car and great speed then some one cuts you up and you cant even blast your horn or youl embarress yourself   s:D :D s:D

edward.carter

i know ive had a couple of cars like that not good! if i need to make a noise for someone to be aware of a situation i tend to just dip clutch and rev engine, all because horn is to soft! not good... think its time for a horn upgrade!

Anonymous

Has anyone replaced their MR2 horn with something that sounds a little better? If so, how is it done? Many thanks

Peter Wright

Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

Anonymous

Good to see my old MR2 page still in use.

Some of the pics are down as my ISP's servers went down and the pics went with it. When it is back I will get them uploaded again.

s:D :D s:D

markiii

upgraded mine with one of teh halfords twin air horn sets

much better
  s:D :D s:D
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Silverman

Quote from: "reddi"is it only my 2 or do they all have worst sounding horns ever?  can i change this?

I suppose it depends what you want really, but my 'other Toyota' has a horn which really sounds like a ferret with a spot of the windypops!  Compared to this, my MR2 sounds like the QE2 entering New York harbour and I am very happy with it as a warning device.  However, if you want more - they are available.   Regards, S'man.
Sold after 4 great years......         04 \'2\', 6s, Silver, TTE Interior Trim Kit No 1, TTE Sports Twin Exhausts.

"An MR2 is good for you."

Anonymous

Reddi see my post on the link below, I can HIGHLY recomend this horn it sounds really good and is a LOT loader  s:D :D s:D  

m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... highlight= m

GSB

Halfords sell a cheap set of Ring/Fiamm horns that sound very good. I've put them on both my MR2's now. Its a pain in the backside to do though, as you have to remove the front bumper...

However, it is doable, and worthwhile, so heres the info on bumper removal:
 m http://www.spydermagazine.com/2001/Nov/ ... bumper.htm m

And heres the thread with the details of the horns (about £15 by the way):
 m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... ight=fiamm m

And heres the instructions for obtaining and fitting them...

Quote from: "GSB"No problems. Take a jumper with a hood attached and make sure you wear it with a baseball cap worn at an unusual angle. Approach Halfords superstore at con-rod threatening rpm's in first gear, with windows open and Drum n' Bass music at painfully loud and preferably distorted levels.

Park in disabled parking bay.

Shuffle into Halfords in surly manner and head directly for the ICE section, pick a unit at random and tune it into illegal pirate rave radio station. Turn bass levels and volume to maximum and walk away.

Now go to the Ripspeed / Min Power section and look around for a pair of red horns in clear plastic packaging, you should find them somewhere between the neon radio antenna and the chrome "bad-boy" exhaust extensions. They have a "Ring" manufacturers logo on the label, and have small chrome grilles attached to them. (DON'T WORRY -They come off...)The horns are actually made by Fiamm.

Take the horns plus whatever other overpriced purchases you may want to the till, ogle checkout girls tits without having the bottle to say a single word to her, and shuffle out the door. Get in car. Start Engine. Immediatley rev engine mercilessly from cold to demonstrate your sexual prowess, before backing out of the disabled parking bay without looking and driving away in the wrong direction...

Once you get home and turn back into a human being again, remove the front bumper according to instructions on Spydermagazine. Underneath you'll see two very feeble horns. Remove these and mount the new horns, you may have to be a bit creative with a vice and hammer on the mounting brackets but its a fairly easy process. Also you'll need to add earth connections from the (-) terminals of each horn as the toyota ones dont have any. Other than that, its easy, but make sure you test your new horns out before you put the bumper back on, and make sure you angle them so they dont fill up with rainwater.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

I managed to fit mine from under the car without removing the bumper just the undertray.

heathstimpson

Quote from: "SteveM"I managed to fit mine from under the car without removing the bumper just the undertray.
Did you jack her up or just crawl underneath  s:?: :?: s:?:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Quote from: "heathstimpson"
Quote from: "SteveM"I managed to fit mine from under the car without removing the bumper just the undertray.
Did you jack her up or just crawl underneath  s:?: :?: s:?:

I jacked her up, you haven't seen how big I am!  s:D :D s:D  From memory I think I just removed the undertray and released the lower edge of the inner wheel arch liner. I remember thinking it was quite easy considering I'd previously read somewhere that you had to remove the bumper.

Capvermell

Just had my feeble and pathetic horn completely die on my 10.5 year old Roadster (only the sound of a clicking relay in the engine compartment still remains).

To be fair given my personality type (more French/Italian than a typical stiff uper lip Brit) it has probably already had about 20 years intended use with a typical UK driver.  My memory is that for the first three years of the car's life the horn sound wasn't quite so feeble but at that point it became really embarrassing (presumably due to something corroding in it given its cheapness and proximity to the road below) although never poor enough to fail the MOT.

I would be quite happy with one of the magnetic RING jobs from Halfords with a better low note and don't need the full air horn trip but I assume there is no way to do this without either front bumper removal (safe but very long winded and something I'm very reluctant to have to do unless the radiator was also being changed at the same time) or risking squishing oneself to death by all that scary stuff with axle stands and crawling underneath.  I'm afraid the latter is simply out for me and I would rather pay a garage with a ramp to use the said route of access than risk being squished by my formerly favourite mode of transportation.

However given that I would be happy with the small magnetic RING item is there no way this could be fitted in say the engine compartment instead by intercepting the relevant wires from the relay box there?  There seems to be plenty of space in the engine bay to fit a magnetic horn but I presume its a lousy place to get the best possible sound output conveyed to the world outside?

Presumably for a garage with a ramp this shouldn't really be more than about 1.5 hours job if they remove the tray to get access and at say about £50 an hour is just about bearable compared to the alternative (taking one's bumper off and then finding one can't put it back or being squished to death when the car falls off its axle stand if accessing via the tray underneath).

Any other thoughts or experiences by anyone else here who has had their horn fail and so been forced to replace them rather than someone who had just optionaly decided to replace a perfecty good horn that they don't like the sound of?

trevsmr2

Fit one of these

m http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUwsYR7ofK4 m

ive got air horns on mine

Tags: