RPM - Change

Started by Anonymous, January 8, 2006, 11:13

Anonymous

Hello...
Lets suppose that we want to get advantage of the maximum torque of a stock MR-2 (facelift).
Whats the best RPM to change the gears?
I noticed somewhere at the forum that there is no point  pushing the gear change to 7000RPM, as the car will not go faster.

I'm not experienced with the car, so could you please advice a RPM value for chaning the gears?

Thanks in advance,Simon.

Anonymous

Probably around 6000 and shifting as quickly as possible.  That way you'll be in the high torque and HP area all the time.  The most important thing is not letting the revs drop too far on the shift.

Anonymous

Ok thanks... I'll keep that in mind.

Anything over 6000 is no more power & risking to damage the car <-- -is that true?

Anonymous

Peak power on my car pre-turbo was at 6365rpm, so there's always a little bit more after 6K. Unless you keep bouncing off the rev-limiter, you'll never damage the engine by driving it to the red-line.

mrsmr2

All the fun has gone by 6.5k.

I woud say change around 6.3.  Depends on what revs you end up on the upchange.

Jason
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

Tem

Quote from: "mrsmr2"I woud say change around 6.3.  Depends on what revs you end up on the upchange.

My peak power was around 6.3k...considering the power stays above 105kW till redline, wouldn't it be better to get closer to redline instead of hurrying the change to get lower power and poorer gearing?

m http://koti.mbnet.fi/temmeke/tmp/dyno.jpg m
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

kanujunkie

Quote from: "mrsmr2"All the fun has gone by 6.5k.

try a lightened flywheel on an N/A, 1st gears as normal but 2nd gear reacts as first gear and its not until 4th gear that revs react as normal, i.e. changes at just over 6K. I know this is a time/torque appearance thing as the this is only the torque lowering itself to the lower gears but his is an excellent mod for the country roads  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

+1 for a lightened flywheel on an N/A '2

One of the best mods you can do for extra fun factor on the car, IMHO.

Anonymous

For absolute max acceleration, I always shifted at or a hair before hitting the rev limit, but that was not an everyday thing.  It always made me a little nervous, so I reserved that for autocrosses and 1/4 miles.  You don't want to know where I shift now. The first digit is an 8.  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Shifting at 6000 is "spirited driving" even now.

Whether it is rev limit  or lower depends  on how quickly you can shift.  Me: not as quickly as I'd like. Letting the revs fall too much drops you in a hole that takes time to crawl out of.  I've seen it on a G-Tech plot of RPM (or speed) vs time.

Tags: