Knob

Started by Liz, December 12, 2003, 01:39

Liz

Thought that the title might get your attention!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Ok, I am a woman and I can't figure it out, soooo, how do you get the gearknob off of the '2, I have tried twisting mine and pulling (no innuendo being suggested here...honest) and I can't get it to budge.  I have got the Momo gearknob from Hardcore which I had forgot about until spotting it in the garage today and I want to put it on.

Thanks in anticipation
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Tem

Just screw it  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

Turn it anti-clockwise and it'll open. It's a bit stuck especially in colder weather though...but in the summer mine doesn't stay still at all...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Slacey

Yeah, as Tem says it just unscrews anti-clockwise, if it's the standard knob, it should be fairly easy. Don't forget though, the Momo ones usually attach using a rubber sleeve and grub screws, they aren't threaded.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

markiii

it will probably require 2 hands in my experience   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Liz

I've changed mine for a Cosmic cobra-head chrome and leather one from Direct Car Parts (£13). I do recall when fitting it I had to give the stock one some serious force to unscrew it. Just as slacey said the new one came with 2 sizes of rubber slieve that screws over the gear-stick, protecting the thread from being damaged by the 2 grub screws.

aaronjb

A towel and a pair of molegrips is usually a good way of applying lots of force to stubborn gearlevers, if two hands fail.. (Afterall, we all know women are a bit weedy, right guys?   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  (I'm kidding!))

Just wrap the towel around the gearlever once, to avoid tearing it to bits, then tighten the molegrips nice and tight, and lever away...

Aaron (Who's now going into hiding, less Liz and AnnMarie hunt him down and torture him to death..  s:D :D s:D )
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"it will probably require 2 hands in my experience   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Boasting again Mark!

Try to wrap elastic bands around it!.  It works with jam jars

<edit>Try to wrap elastic bands around the GEAR knob</edit>

Anonymous

i found that you can only fit ball type knobs on as others go to high up and look silly!

i have tried borring one out but it still looks hidious
so i gave up, Oh and another thing while the gear knobs off cut downt the shifter so then you will have a short shifte. i cut mine down by about 2 inches left a small amount of thread then PTFE taped around the thread and tighen the gear knob back on and it looks like i have a B&M thingy   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

markiii

now all you need are the kumosport bushings then.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Liz

Thanks guys, I am going to go out to the car tomorrow armed with a towel, elastic bands, molegrips and brut force, I will probably take a washing up bottle as well just for the Blue Peter effect, will let you know how I get on!!

aaronjb

I'm trying desperately to think of something witty and rude to say in reply to that but... I can't.. must be losing my touch!

Good luck anyway  s:) :) s:)

[edit]One way to loosen the gearknob - simply turn your car upside down, and dribble a little dismantling oil in...   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  (groan)[/edit]
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Slacey

Quote from: "Buster"i found that you can only fit ball type knobs on as others go to high up and look silly!
Not so, Mr Buster!

I fitted my Momo knob last week, and as you said, it sat really high up - that high that it turned my B&M back to almost stock height, and it was horrible, both to look at and use (so used to a short shift now)  s:? :? s:?  

So, today I have had a go at modifying it - now the shifter is back as I like it and only about half an inch taller than it was with the standard B&M knob. Firstly, forgive all the inuendos...  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Basically, the channel inside the knob was wide enough to drop over the shifter shaft, so I first removed the nylon disc that prevents the shift boot fom dropping down, then took the slightly large sized rubber sleeve and cut the closed top off, and dropped that onto the shaft.
Then I fitted the correct sized sleeve over the top of the shaft as you are supposed to. Then it was just a case of pushing the knob right down as far as it would go, and believe me, this took some serious effort - I thought I was going to break the shifter cage I was having to push down so hard.
Once on as far as it would go, I srewed in the grub srews, using the first bit of rubber as the ant-slip guard on the steel shaft - it's on really tight now and isn't going anywhere!

The only problem is that there is now nothing to hold the boot up, but as it is pushed so far down anyway, it pretty much supports itself - I have folded it back on itself and it looks pretty good IMO.

If anyone wants to see some pics, I can take some and post tomorrow.

Anonymous

Well I like my stock leather one - maybe thats just the masocist in me?!

Slacey

Quote from: "cstevens"Well I like my stock leather one - maybe thats just the masocist in me?!
I'm just an addict to spending money on the car - after the stock and B&M, this is my third!  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

kanujunkie

here liz, have you tried straddleing it, grabbing it with both hands and screwing it!!!! sorry unscrewing it  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "kanujunkie"here liz, have you tried straddleing it, grabbing it with both hands and screwing it!!!! sorry unscrewing it  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Don't forget to take your top off before doing this, as you will need the extra purchase!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Les

Liz

Quote from: "kanujunkie"here liz, have you tried straddleing it, grabbing it with both hands and screwing it!!!! sorry unscrewing it  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

No I haven't - it is still sitting on the shelf in the kitchen, I am ashamed, but after Slaceys graphic description of putting it on, I am gagging to get out there and have a go!!

Slacey

If nothing else Liz, if you still haven't sorted it by the treasure hunt I'll screw it for you  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

carm down anyone would think somthings going on   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Anonymous

My wife's asked if I can get one!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Les

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Les"My wife's asked if I can get one!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Les
This one has got the whole female species interested  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Jap GT300

I had trouble getting mine off too and found that if you pull while screwing it does come off.

I changed mine for this

I got it from  m http://www.ekoesling.com m  it cost $40 shipped!

Slacey

Whats the quality like Adam? How is the J-Spec logo presented on the leather? (stitched, printed etc.)

Anonymous

Quote from: "Les"

Don't forget to take your top off before doing this, as you will need the extra purchase!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

*faints*

Sundance   s8) 8) s8)

Jap GT300

It is manufactured in the same way as the steering wheel badges.  However, it is a smaller diameter and recessed into the design with the leather stitched around it.

The gear knob is smaller than usual and probably best suited to an SMT.

It is an extremely well produced product.

Tags: