Engine Bay mesh template??

Started by Slacey, August 6, 2003, 10:59

Slacey

Kris, did you get round to knocking a template up for the shapes to cut the mesh?
Also, where did you source the plastic / rubber trim from?

TIA

Sean
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

I was actually working on this the other night - i dont think that unless you have an A3 printer a template will be any good... what i am doing at the moment is working out the height, width & cut in points.

What you will need to do is cut the mesh to these measurements and then do what Mark did on mine... try to fit it and trim it where required (as Craigs copy of my cut outs still needed tweaking).

I'll get the measurements sorted tonight if i can, but i dont want to rush in case you all go out and buy mesh, then end up cutting it too short cos my measurements were wrong! I'll stick the instructions in a PDF (with diagrams) and post it here.

The plastic/rubber trim bits to hold the mesh in place are actually door protectors that you can buy from Halfords or TMC - they only cost a couple of quid. You will need however some strong 3M double sided sticky tape... Mark knows exactly what it is, so when he reads this post he can let us know exactly what it is called... i think its quite expensive as you can only buy it in big rolls.

markiii

It's the stuff that they use for applying exterior car badges.

Once it sticks, it sticks.

I haven't got the the part number any more as I binned the box. But I found the best place to be brown brothers (do a web search) they are automotive trade suppliers but they will sell to the public.

Just ask for 3M automotive double sided foam tape and they'll know what your on about.

If you need the actual part number just look up that description on the 3M website.

Mark.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Slacey

Thanks guys, I'm still in two minds as to doing it or not, but currently erring on the side of yes.
I'll keep a look out for your update Kris.

Anonymous

Ok, I will try to work on a guide today while im at work, but depends on how much im left alone...

At the very least i will draw a diagram and post measurements for tonight.

Peter Wright

Did my mesh in silver when I got home from JAE after seeing how nice
krisclark's was

You really do not need a template just hold the mesh to the area and trim to you get it right

Strong double sided tape is a must for the outside edges

Pete
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Peter Wright"Did my mesh in silver when I got home from JAE after seeing how nice
krisclark's was

s:D :D s:D  

Quote from: "Peter Wright"You really do not need a template just hold the mesh to the area and trim to you get it right

Strong double sided tape is a must for the outside edges

Pete

Wasnt your mesh quite thin (in width) to what i had? I think with yours you would be able to do that, but with the stuff i got it was too thick to line up and take a guess.

So did you stick the mesh to the bodywork rather than puting it into some rubber supports?

(for everyone elses info, im drawing up a 'rough' diagram now and will add the measurements when i get home tonight)

Peter Wright

Yes I think mine was thiner then yours as it cut so easily and pushed into the inner sections so was able to cut while still in position

Double sided tape straight onto bodywork I did not see the need for rubber supports

Pete
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

Anonymous

Yeah thats what i thought. I guess if you can do it that way then it might be a bit quicker, but as you saw... my mesh was not exactly easy to cut!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

So where are the photos then... i wanna see what it looks like on your '2!

markiii

I'm waiting to see Peters pictures to see how well his worked.

However a word of warning.

The cheaper mesh like Peter/Khris and Craig have used is expanded aluminium mesh not welded stainless as per the Pelican grills. From a looks perspective it's purely personal taste however, with the black stiff Kris used it will stay black.

The silver stuff will discolour over time because it's not treated.  (see Andy Hope4Sun original front grill to see what I mean) this can be a pain to clean.

I would recommend the proper stainless stuff for anyone going silver. Though it is sigificantly more expensive.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

What about expanded aluminium mesh and a small can of hammerite paint?

Worth a try?

--H--

markiii

hmmn, not sure if it would look too plasticy? but you could try it.

Peter Wright

QuoteI'm waiting to see Peters pictures to see how well his worked.

Will take some pics tonight and email to Craig if he does not mind as last time I tried to send some pics it took me three days and then I got it wrong

Peter

Peter Wright

At last

Web site up and going

Here are the pictures

Sorry its took so long but I am useless at these computer things

Hope you like them and hope they work

Pete   s:D :D s:D   Feedback please

[/url]

Anonymous

Apart from the last pic that has had a little bit of a benny it looks really good mate. I think seeing as the existing mesh on your car has been sprayed silver, that just finishes it off nicely!   s:D :D s:D  

(but dont those dog-shaped wind deflectors reduce rear visibility a bit?   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  )

Peter Wright

QuoteApart from the last pic that has had a little bit of a benny it looks really good mate. I think seeing as the existing mesh on your car has been sprayed silver, that just finishes it off nicely!  

The bendy bits are a trick of the light

Quote(but dont those dog-shaped wind deflectors reduce rear visibility a bit?   )

Bet you dont know which ones the wife   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Pete

Liz

Done mine today, put the drip tray back on after painting it black on the inside - mainly to stop cluttering up the garage with bits of the car!

I went for Ripspeed   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   in the end because it matched the chromdesign grills better.

So therefore I have some aluminium grill stuff for sale - see:

m http://www.mr2roc.org/forum/viewtopic.p ... highlight= m
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

im after some black aluminium mesh after my plastic stuff melted  s:? :? s:?  

not having much luck finding some so is it best to buy silver and spray black?

Anonymous

you mean like this:

Kris Clark original that is   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

I managed to buy it in a shop.

Bongo

What does the plate bit actually do then?

Any downsides to removing it?

Anonymous

which shop mate? ones ive been to only sell it in silver (halfords, motormania) and its £30!!!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Anonymous

The Motorist Centre. I have a mate that works there so if they still sell it i can get it cheap. He's on his honeymoon at the moment, i can have a word when he gets back if you like?

Anonymous

im interested if you can get it on the cheap mate. cheers

bongo, do you mean the drip tray? its to stop all the rain and other crap getting your engine bay dirty. i removed mine ages ago as it lets more heat out the engine bay, plus it looks cool when you are sitting in traffic and you can see heat waves pouring out the back   s8) 8) s8)

Bongo

Yeah, i guess i mean that   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Do most people keep it aswell as the mesh?

Slacey

I've got rid of mine for the warmer weather, but during the winter (rain and snow) months I'll put it back on.

Tags: