16" wheels?

Started by Anonymous, March 4, 2004, 13:51

markiii

yes they will
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Quote from: "mph"
Quote from: "WoodenDummy"I'm thinking of changing my MR2 to a newer one and installing the Sportivo which is why I wanted to check.
Sanity check: the Sportivo isn't really suitable/necessary for an '03 - only need anti-roll bars and springs as the shocks have already been uprated.

I have a 2003, and I have mounted konis, tte springs, tte stabi set and the complete Lampka brace/stabi set, and I can truly say that I feel a huge improvement on handling.

Anonymous

Quote from: "WoodenDummy"I really wanted a black or grey.  I'm having a hard time finding a grey/black 12lbs wheel in a 16"

Have you looked at gunmetal OZ SuperLeggra's, i dunno how much they weigh but they ARE meant to be some of the lightest wheels available and OZ make GREAT wheels, they also make them in 42mm Offset as of about 6 months ago  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Only thing is you're looking at a 7" width whether you go for 15, 16 or 17" according to their site.

Anonymous

I know there's been a lot of descussion about rim sizes and off-sets/pcd etc but does anyone know what the centre bore figure is please?   s:? :? s:?

GSB

According to my vernier's, and the spare wheel sitting under my bench, and the centre bore adapter for my 17"s, 54mm...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Many thanks GSB!

Anonymous

s:?: :?: s:?:  Whilst on the subject or wheels &  tyres does anyone know if you can safely fit a 205 tyre onto a 6" wide rim? I know (thanks to Phil4!) that the pre-03 model which has 205 rears uses a 6.5" rim.

Tem

Quote from: "SteveM":?: Whilst on the subject or wheels &  tyres does anyone know if you can safely fit a 205 tyre onto a 6" wide rim?

Depends from the tyres...check the manufacturers website.

I have 205/50/15 and 225/50/15 S03's on the stock 6/6.5" wheels. According to Bridgestone, that's just fine...but those tyres do have pretty stiff sidewalls, which probably helps on that.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Thanks Tem!

markiii

Quote from: "SteveM":?: Whilst on the subject or wheels &  tyres does anyone know if you can safely fit a 205 tyre onto a 6" wide rim? I know (thanks to Phil4!) that the pre-03 model which has 205 rears uses a 6.5" rim.

had it done by accident when my dealer cocked up.

makes life interesting and I had to run way over pressure to stabilise the sidewalls.

I'd only do it with something like S03's which have a very stiff sidewall. Though it's still not ideal.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Still on the subject of wheel sizes etc, can anyone tell me if a 7x16 rim will be ok front and rear on a pre-03 car that is lowered with TTE springs?   s:?: :?: s:?:

Anonymous

If anyone wants to see Superleggeras used to good effect, check out Kabinski's steed on spyderchat:

http://www.spyderchat.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=12079

His are 17x7. 15.2lbs each. A little bit heavier than I would prefer personally but IIRC the 16"s seem to be disproportionately lighter than the 17"s. At the end of the day the trade off is looks vs performance - just depends on which way you lean.

Anonymous

Thanks for that Rusty, the OZ's look superb IMO, these were what I had in mind!

Anonymous

Quote from: "SteveM"Still on the subject of wheel sizes etc, can anyone tell me if a 7x16 rim will be ok front and rear on a pre-03 car that is lowered with TTE springs?   s:?: :?: s:?:

Steve,

Those sizes should be fine since it is what TRD recommend with the Sportivio set up, which itself lowers the car.

markiii

the 16x7 bit should be but don't forget teh offset issues. Alos teh sportivo lowers by 20mm, the TTE by 30mm

Anonymous

Thanks guys, I'm looking an off-set of about a 38mm which will push the wheels out by about 7mm, do you think that will be ok?   s:?: :?: s:?:

markiii

I think Seans Mille Miglia 17" were 38mm, in which case no it won't.

Slacey

Yeah, mine were about that, and they ate holes in the arch liner... as they are off the car at the moment I will go check for you later.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

markiii

and that was before he lowered it.

Anonymous

Sean what offset were your wheels? Also where were they rubbing the liners, above the inner or outer edge of the wheel/tyre?   s:?: :?: s:?:

Anonymous

I have the 16" superleggera in silver with 205/45 front and 225/40 back.
Check them out at  w www.alessandrocasero.com w .

Be warned, the size is just perfect, handling gets a little "heavier" but you have more grip. I guess you lose a little acceleration (supposed) and I felt like loosing a little bit of top speed.

BIG problem: you will find very little choice of tyres. And they are expensive too. That really s%&£$.

s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

aaronjb

Quote from: "Alex Rome"I have the 16" superleggera in silver with 205/45 front and 225/40 back.
Check them out at  w www.alessandrocasero.com w .

That's a nice looking car Alex.. You're not wrong about Oz being expensive though - a friend had 18" Super's on his car (not a 2, don't worry  s:) :) s:) ) and they cost an arm and a leg..

BTW - slight drift - have you got any close-up-ish pics of that stubby aerial fitted to the car?  s:) :) s:)

Aaron
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  I am assuming that a stubby aerial is an antenna?

No...I don't have a closer pic...but i can teel you all about it. The easy part is bying it on ebay. To mount it...well you need to be ready to get your hands dirty, meaning it's not a clean job on the inside but it looks just perfect on the outside.

s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

aaronjb

Quote from: "Alex Rome":roll: I am assuming that a stubby aerial is an antenna?

Yup.. I've seen them on ebay (and elsewhere) before, just wondered what it looked like on the car (from a closer angle than the one pic on your site).. Ah well, thanks anyway..

Aaron
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Tags: