Quote from: Call the midlife! on June 26, 2018, 12:32
Quote from: shnazzle on June 26, 2018, 12:31
Quote from: Call the midlife! on June 26, 2018, 12:23
Quote from: shnazzle on June 26, 2018, 12:17
Quote from: Call the midlife! on June 26, 2018, 11:45
Quote from: ilovejapcrap on June 26, 2018, 11:36

im having huge issues getting top mounts for front suspension

anyone purchased any of late ?
Try asking KTM Rider, I'm sure he fitted new top mounts in the carpark at Ding Day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He did not.
Sadly these are one of the more expensive items and one without an aftermarket counterpart.
Options are new (TCB, mr2-ben, or Toyota) or finding a good set from a reasonably young breaker.
That's me wrong twice in one day!
Time I gave up...

Nah man! We don't start punishing until strike 3
That Meister buy looks like it'll have a few people doing some man maths! I'll leave it there...

Unless Helen gets involved for some woman math
...neutiquam erro.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: shnazzle on June 26, 2018, 13:00
Quote from: Call the midlife! on June 26, 2018, 12:32
Quote from: shnazzle on June 26, 2018, 12:31
Quote from: Call the midlife! on June 26, 2018, 12:23
Quote from: shnazzle on June 26, 2018, 12:17
Quote from: Call the midlife! on June 26, 2018, 11:45
Quote from: ilovejapcrap on June 26, 2018, 11:36

im having huge issues getting top mounts for front suspension

anyone purchased any of late ?
Try asking KTM Rider, I'm sure he fitted new top mounts in the carpark at Ding Day.

He did not.
Sadly these are one of the more expensive items and one without an aftermarket counterpart.
Options are new (TCB, mr2-ben, or Toyota) or finding a good set from a reasonably young breaker.
That's me wrong twice in one day!
Time I gave up...

Nah man! We don't start punishing until strike 3
That Meister buy looks like it'll have a few people doing some man maths! I'll leave it there...

Unless Helen gets involved for some woman math
[emoji23]

60% of the time it works everytime...

frogger

I've had a bargain line on front top mounts for a while... and have helped source 2 pairs for people this month for about 95 delivered (for the pair)... but right now I can only get my hands on 1, not a pair!    I'll post back in here if I can get another.

MrT

Frogger I'd be interested in a set also please. What brand are they please?
Cheers
Tyler

RIPieces: Sable \'05 Roadster \'Red\' edition.
Project: MR-S import (JDM) now my toy and mule for:
SC build OR a 2AR-FXE swap (ref: Frankenstein Motorworks) OR Electric conversion
AND rebody with a fibreglass replica of Porsche 550 Spyder.

Bossworld

Forgive my suspension lack of knowledge, but mum refreshed the suspension on hers a few months back.  Are we talking about these or something radically different?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Replacement-Japanparts-Front-Top-Strut-Mounting-RU-2320-/192043766836?hash=item2cb6b35434

shnazzle

Quote from: Bossworld on June 27, 2018, 23:16
Forgive my suspension lack of knowledge, but mum refreshed the suspension on hers a few months back.  Are we talking about these or something radically different?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Replacement-Japanparts-Front-Top-Strut-Mounting-RU-2320-/192043766836?hash=item2cb6b35434

Result! I guess they're more readily available now.
...neutiquam erro.

ilovejapcrap

Quote from: Bossworld on June 27, 2018, 23:16

I got one from this guy. It was his last one I got other from amazon (same seller ! )  and it took forever then was sent to wrong address .

Anyway got a refund. So I'm buying this one see how we get in eh   

ilovejapcrap

Heads up it arrived no issues via eBay now I have two [emoji4]

MrT

Cheers
Tyler

RIPieces: Sable \'05 Roadster \'Red\' edition.
Project: MR-S import (JDM) now my toy and mule for:
SC build OR a 2AR-FXE swap (ref: Frankenstein Motorworks) OR Electric conversion
AND rebody with a fibreglass replica of Porsche 550 Spyder.

BahnStormer

Coilovers preferred, but they do come with the loss of some ride comfort.

If I didn't want the adjustability and the option to put it on a track (and tighten it RIGHT up), then I'd go for aftermarket shocks and progressive springs, so you can get lowered springs, a fair amount of initial travel (comfort), but they'll stiffen up after the initial travel to make up for the fact there is less travel :) I'm not sure what the options are for MR2's, but the Koni shocks + Eibach spring on my old Gold set me back nearly £2000 (incl install) on my old Golf... compared with <£700 for coilovers + accessories (then spannered it myself with the help of one of the people on the forum).

For me, it's worth the comfort sacrifice, even though I'm on Yoko AD08R's and my commute is 20miles of B roads and ~10 miles of ratty Surrey A roads. I just love the turn-in: the way the nose darts around like a little hover-fly with coiilies, so I'd be reluctant to put mine on shocks and springs... and I'm on relatively entry-level BC Racing coilovers with 4kg/6kg spring rates - same as stock (most coilovers are 5kg/7kg).
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

Bossworld

Quick question re: suspension refresh.

From frogger's original list, do you also need the spring top cup seats on each side, or are they re-usable?

(yes I'm aware I'm finding ways to spend money I don't have :))

Ardent

if you are talking top mounts. Sadly, you never really know until you strip them down.
The good news is, most are fine and just a good top up of grease is required.

Bossworld

Quote from: Ardent on February 11, 2019, 21:40
if you are talking top mounts. Sadly, you never really know until you strip them down.
The good news is, most are fine and just a good top up of grease is required.

Below the top mount, isn't there something else that holds the top end of the spring?  The exploded diagrams seem to show extra pieces.

Joesson

There is a short length of plastic tubing that goes over the last section of the spring at top and/ or bottom of the spring.

Bossworld

So please forgive my ignorance, what are parts 2, 3 and 4 on here?  Is that piece of tubing you mention part of that assembly?

https://www.mr2-ben.co.uk/products/4

1, 5, 6 and 7 seem to be covered by the original list but it seems extras are necessary (and I'm well out of my depth lol)

shnazzle

The only one I know is 2. That's just a little foam washer.
I've had 3 sets of suspension apart now and I genuinely can't remember 3 and 4.
...neutiquam erro.

Joesson

@Bossworld

Dudi has a " For sale" thread with a photo of the OE struts that shows there are extra items below the top mount. Link:

https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=66857.0

Bossworld

Quote from: Joesson on February 14, 2019, 19:19

@Bossworld

Dudi has a " For sale" thread with a photo of the OE struts that shows there are extra items below the top mount. Link:

https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=66857.0

Thanks mate, yeah I'm going to see what arrives in my top mount/strut order and see what else would need to be purchased from there.  I'm not entirely sure what could be re-used of these mystery items.

Bossworld

So turns out, more purchasing required

https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=65730.msg773471#msg773471

https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=37550.msg447803#msg447803

#2 possibly not necessary as I've got the japan parts top mounts.

Interestingly, one of the threads I found mentioned that someone found the old rubber spring insulator had swollen due to too much grease.  I packed my existing top mounts out with grease earlier in the month.  With my current suspension being so old it doesn't really matter but food for thought when changing out

https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=61925.msg720492#msg720492

frogger

On the front suspension there is a 'cup' that the spring sits in below the top mount yes. I and many others reused it... as it is just a jump of metal... but it upset me greatly as everything else was new and I wish I had new 'cups' too!  I'm sure the old ones will last another 10 - 15 yrs though.

Bossworld

Quote from: frogger on February 18, 2019, 21:37
On the front suspension there is a 'cup' that the spring sits in below the top mount yes. I and many others reused it... as it is just a jump of metal... but it upset me greatly as everything else was new and I wish I had new 'cups' too!  I'm sure the old ones will last another 10 - 15 yrs though.

Did you reuse the rubber insulator (that goes with the cup) as well?

Thanks

MattB

I kept mine original but lower, new KYB in each corner, and Tein springs. PolyBush for the bushes. Inspect the top mounts these are available from KYB if needed

litr0m

I would buy the yellow KONI Suspension. The Rebound is adjustable and it's complete with springs and topmounts for round about 599€ (~490GBP).

Regards Thomas
'04 JDM Subaru Legacy GT Wagon
'05 EDM Toyota MR2 W3 Red Edition

Bossworld

I've set out on a path of buying things as I can afford them, so far procured

Front left/front right struts
Front top mounts (2x)
Front brake hoses

I'm going to have to find some more budget for the spring insulators, top cups and potentially top rubber bushes as I don't want to reuse stuff that's 135k miles/14 years old if possible

I did spot a set of four lowering springs for £48 but I don't think I'd get the car on and off the drive

ManInDandism

Useful thread.  My rear shocks look pants even though they obviously still do the job.  So have just ordered KYB shocks, springs and top mounts, Delphi drop links and boot covers from MR2 Ben.  Total of £232.50, though just got the items ordered rather than spending time shopping around.

I am missing the service history from the last couple of years, but car failed MOT on leaky front shocks in late 2016, so those were obviously replaced - car has covered a mere 6K since (now on  81K). History also shows corroded rear spring, so I guess I hoped that rear shocks had been done as well. But I had the car on stands at the weekend as intended to do discs/pads, paint calipers and put hammerite on what remains of the dust shields. I got as far as painting the calipers but couldn't get the calipers bolts out on either side as a 12mm spanner just swirls around them. I reckon they were rounded off by someone being heavy-handed as they can't have been there that long as calipers are in good nick having also showed up as needing attention in the same MOT.  Have ordered new bolts and will end up farming the job out to someone more skilled than myself in attacking stubborn fastenings. I had a bit of a go with a set of Irwin bolt extractors but there's no room to work in and will just end up making things worse.

Whilst looking under the car I was not liking the host of rusty bits that showed themselves. Can barely make out the nuts on the shock absorber struts as now just several blobs of brown on a base of brown!
Black 2004 Roadster
Previous: Black 1994 Mk2 Turbo

Tags: