Brake problem

Started by philster_d, April 12, 2006, 20:52

philster_d

Hard on the brakes beyond a point, made a grinding noise and seemed to jam and "stopped" stopping. this was not good, and I hit the car in front not fast luckily but still expensive. And very embarassing.

Someone on sc said rotors when I asked before about the general feeling, for me seems front right may have a problem.

What ideas ?  what part of the brake system is the rotor ?

Phil

aaronjb

rotor = American for 'brake disc'
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

philster_d

well i did think warped disk but its not obvious.

Add the ABS and that could lead to a jam of sorts, I guess.

aaronjb

I guess... I read your post on SC, incidentally - it's a very weird sounding problem.

Does kinda sound like the ABS getting 'stuck' on, but you should still have some braking power, at least..

Very strange, I'm out of ideas at the moment  s:? :? s:?
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

philster_d

If you read the guys description thats pretty accurate.

Braking suddenly diminishes, alot of electrical noise

Anonymous

Quote from: "philster_d"Hard on the brakes beyond a point, made a grinding noise and seemed to jam and "stopped" stopping. this was not good, and I hit the car in front not fast luckily but still expensive. And very embarassing.

Someone on sc said rotors when I asked before about the general feeling, for me seems front right may have a problem.

What ideas ?  what part of the brake system is the rotor ?

Phil

I have had this exact problem!! somebody pulled out of a junction in front of me in a 206 and i nearly hit them because of it but i managed to take evasive action.

It felt like my brakes werent working and the car just kept moving.

I have no idea what it is unfortunately, at the time i put it down to some sort of weird abs feeling.

it wasn't the discs (rotors) as I still had this charecteristic before and after changing mines.

could you post a link to the SC thread please?

please keep me updated on this as I'm a bit concerned now.

Richie.

philster_d

well me too.

this is gonna cost me, up to 2k by the looks of it just to keep it off my insurance I have no real choice

philster_d

not much to read there except i noticed 2 or 3 peopl  who had this...

"That is exactly what I was talking about... it makes a grinding sound and the brake force drops off. I was alarmed the first time it happened, I thought my rim was grinding on the caliper (but it wasn't). "

"I suppose that the awful noise I experienced was the ABS. It only happened when I was braking hard, maybe just beginning to lockup the front brakes. It really didn't feel good either, it felt like the coefficient of friction just dropped off (pads turned to stone). "
 m http://www.spyderchat.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=29097 m

I also had this at the track day into the hairpin

kanujunkie

mine does this too Phil, always has done, ironically it has never done it on track, for me i think this is the ABS system firing, there are so many bumps and potholes in the road and i beleive that some cars are just oversensitive to them, but its only a theory, but if its a bit odd that it doesn't happen on the smooth surface of the track under extreme braking
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

loadswine

Some cars are really upset by bumps triggering the ABS. My last car was a pig for doing that, if you braked as you went over a speed hump the ABS would initiate and the braking distance would increase dramatically.
Not sure if the ABS is linked to the suspension on the 2, but I wonder if the Tein setup you have Phil, makes any difference to that.
Either way mate, sorry that you've had a bump. As you say, highly embarrassing. What's that you said before about sharing your pain, Yes I do!
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

philster_d

it was bumpy, but still.

I need to look into a brake upgrade/overhaul

Anonymous

I ahd a similar problem which I put going to fast into a left trun corner which I went straight on at. What you need to remember is that with a turbo set up you are going a lot faster(may sound silly) and need to adjust you braking. I was lucky there was no car turing out but you are right the brakes need to be up graded as for stock they are great but for a turbo set up the are a bit lacking in my opinion.

Hope you get your car sorted soon.

ninjinski

This really sounds like the ABS on our cars - It feels like what you described to a T.

If you havent already fitted a front strut brace do as I found it reduced this somewhat especially when braking very hard and almost stopped on uneven surfaces - As Stu said it never happened to me on track either, just on the road.

The car feels like its running on and the brakes are like stone like said above but it has actually saved me from running up the back of one or two people in the wet!
Sable

PERF: TTE TURBO & exhaust, BC Coilovers Markii inlet TRD brace SP Downpipe Exedy Cerametalic Clutch TRD Short Shifter w brass bushings EBC discs/pads OMP steering wheel, front diffuser
ICE: JVC headunit JBL P652s Alpine SWD1600 & 2000 woofers Kenwood 600W amp
EXTERNAL: Mr T spoiler. black brake calipers Dynamat Toyota dust caps Dev\'s keyhole covers Simon\'s hairpins
INTERNAL: Red leather Carbon sill guards TRD stickers Mongo deflectors Chrome gear & dial surrounds Gregg\'s custom logo plate Taurec gauges

ninjinski

Quote from: "simonmr2"........you are right the brakes need to be up graded as for stock they are great but for a turbo set up the are a bit lacking in my opinion.

Hope you get your car sorted soon.

Agreed  s:!: :!: s:!:
Sable

PERF: TTE TURBO & exhaust, BC Coilovers Markii inlet TRD brace SP Downpipe Exedy Cerametalic Clutch TRD Short Shifter w brass bushings EBC discs/pads OMP steering wheel, front diffuser
ICE: JVC headunit JBL P652s Alpine SWD1600 & 2000 woofers Kenwood 600W amp
EXTERNAL: Mr T spoiler. black brake calipers Dynamat Toyota dust caps Dev\'s keyhole covers Simon\'s hairpins
INTERNAL: Red leather Carbon sill guards TRD stickers Mongo deflectors Chrome gear & dial surrounds Gregg\'s custom logo plate Taurec gauges

philster_d

my car is fine, thats the thing it was low speed.

Hmm do i have the strut brace ? I wonder ?

normanh

simple q have you pads worn down to the steel backing because ABS will not help if thats the cas, pad failure lights dont always work!!!!!!

normanh

philster_d

me and stu had a look the other day and they looked ok but maybe not.

Im gonna get some

aaronjb

Quote from: "normanh"simple q have you pads worn down to the steel backing because ABS will not help if thats the cas, pad failure lights dont always work!!!!!!

Especially when we don't have one  s;) ;) s;)

We do have 'squeal tabs' on the pads, though.. of course, it's not impossible for them to fall off.

normanh

Well I have to admit you can learn something everyday, knowing that I will keep a closer eye on my pads, phew to the cost of replacing back discs and pads on a 2 being around the £150 mark for pattern parts. God knows what Mr T would charge!!!!

Funny I thought most cars now would be fitted with wear indicators!!!! My old 405's were from 88 to 96!!!!!!

normanh

Anonymous

I just bought a set of front disks and pads, for £71 inc vat  :-) :-) :-)

normanh

yeah I've costed fronts about the same its the rears that are the killers on the wallet!!!!!

normanh

Bongo

Quote from: "normanh"Funny I thought most cars now would be fitted with wear indicators!!!! My old 405's were from 88 to 96!!!!!!

Why would we want the extra weight?   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

kanujunkie

Phil, your a good mate so no offence meant by this but are you sure its not that your not used to the increase in power and the mixture of that and going over a bump has activated the ABS and not given you any chance of braking in time.
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

philster_d

I think I have answered that question enough times.

And i didnt crash the beast at every juntion and it was alot more than these puny cars !!!

There was time to stop it just stopped braking, see what im saying.

I think Steve may have an idea I havent rang him yet.

philster_d

And Stu I told you I thought there was a problem in the brakes before I left if you remember. I wish I had had more time to get it sorted. Easy to say in retrospect.

Philster

Tags: