In dash DVD player and Monitor

Started by VVT-i, December 12, 2006, 20:52

VVT-i

m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/P105-Car-DVD-Play ... dZViewItem m

Has anyone got any info on these types of combination DVD players?

Would they fit in the '2.. would there be anything else that i would have to buy.. facia's ISO leads etc?

I've never had much experiance in wiring up stereo's and was thinking of getting a new unit after chrimbo.. but looking at this for 150 quid it seems ok.. ok i know it's not a Pioneer etc.. but for the price???.. i'm not really into thumpimg bass etc.. as long as i can listen to my cd's and the radio i'm happy enough.
2005 MR2 Roadster  (Black)
P.E. Turbo and other stuff that gives 234BHP  \";)\"

Quote from: \"Wabbitkilla\"Mine is a bit stiff when cold, but once it\'s warmed up it slips in nicely.

Anonymous

you might find that it won't pick up uk radio stations as the FM range in china / japan is much lower than the uk's.

Another possible issue with the MR2 is that because the stereo is set further back than the heater controls, the tft screen might not be able to come out properly because the HVAC controls would be in the way.

Apart from that, the price is good, as long as you can appreciate it won't be the same quality as a pioneer unit etc then fair enough.

Might be worth a shot for £99?

Richie.

roger

Quote from: "Richie"Might be worth a shot for £99?

+ £46 for delivery   s:? :? s:?
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

Quote from: "roger"
Quote from: "Richie"Might be worth a shot for £99?

+ £46 for delivery   s:? :? s:?

good point, and probably import tax too.

spit

Quote from: "Richie"and probably import tax too.

plus the 20 quid or so commission that DHL charges for the privilege of billing you for the import tax!   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

You can get converters for the radio that go in line of the aerial, but they don't alter the frequency display on the head unit.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

VVT-i

Looks like it could possibly be more trouble than it's worth.. any reccomendations for a cheap motorised screen?.. I don't want to spend a fortune on a system, for all i will really use it for.

Quote from: \"Wabbitkilla\"Mine is a bit stiff when cold, but once it\'s warmed up it slips in nicely.

Anonymous

Halfords are doing their motorised screen/tuner/cd/dvd player for £299 at the mo (single din unit) which is a good price and no customs hassle

quite a bit more than your original budget tho?

I had the alpine unit in my first 'two' and the screen postion was fine, but you did have to wait for it to come out and up before you could put the gear stick in first to pull away  (bit of a pain)

VVT-i

The Ripspeed one?  I saw it the other day.. looks a descent unit too... actually thought of getting it in the new year.

I never really have a "budget" for anything to be honest.. It's just that i don't think i need to pay over 500 quid for listening to cd's and the radio.. and watching the odd music video or movie... and just because something isn't expensive, it doesn't mean that quality is less either.. a lot of these unbranded units are Pioneer, Kenwood etc on the inside.

Another slight problem i have is.. the guy that fitted the dvd player i have now has cut the OEM harness.. this was before i knew about ISO leads etc... I think i still have the multi-plug so i can splice it back in.. and have also seen what i think i would need if i haven't got it......

m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Radio-wire-Harnes ... dZViewItem m

.. If i get the above that should enable me to re-wire in the original head unit?.. then i would need an ISO adaptor to wire in the headunit without cutting wires again?

Do Halfords do fitting for the MR2?.. the wouldn't touch my Yaris.

Finally.. is this what i need to convert it to single din?....

m http://cgi.ebay.com/Radio-Installation- ... dZViewItem m

the help is appreciated, thanks.

Anonymous

As far as I can see, those are the OEM connectors which you think you might have lying about and indeed these would do as replacements if you dont.

If it is an aftermarket stereo you have fitted at present, then you might find that the connectors that are fitted will be the same on your new stereo thus won't require changing.

Also, that appears to be the correct fascia adapter kit, the model no. should be toy-k975.

PM "Matt" on here as he supplies these significantly cheaper than elsewhere (that ebay price isn't bad but then theres delivery and maybe import tax too?)

You will need to reuse the surround off of the post-2003 original toyota stereo, if you dont have it the part no is 55423-17040 from Toyota.

VVT-i

Thanks for that.. I will Give Matt a PM when the time comes.. Christmas and 3 kids doesn't leave much for the Roadster lol.... saying that.. it's not stopped me before   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

I have, for some time been wondering why people fit DVD players in car dash boards....  lots of folk do it, so i must be missing something....

I guess you can watch a film (but not sure if I would want that in the car?), but can you record music onto them - i.e. vast amounts of MP3 files - more than a normal CD - hence the reason for having a DVD player in the car?

Confused!   s:? :? s:?

northernalex

yeah i agree.. can never see the point of having a DVD player.. you cant watch it when you drive,, well you can but you will probably die, a rear view camera ... ok good idea..  Maybe when your sitting in a carpark??

But hmm,,,, nope i wouldnt go there.. not at the moment anyway
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

VVT-i

Well.. you can fit a LOT more MP3's on a DVD.. so really as good as having a cd multichanger... you can have movies if you want.. or music video's etc.. any thing you want tbh.

Jigwar

Quote from: "adetri"....wondering why people fit DVD players in car dash boards....

Sat Nav? Think I'd prefer to have a monitor mounted in the dash rather than a sucky (in the sticky sense   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ) unit on the window.

Steve
Jigwar
Past: \'51 plate
Present: \'06 plate TTET\'ed

Anonymous

Sat nav - yes, now it begins to make sense...  With that and the capacity of the DVD disc, I can see the point.

I had visions of people sitting in the cold carparks watching Star Wars!

Cheers.

Anonymous

After reading all over the board about the nightmares of fitting aftermarket headunits/dvd players.... i decided that as i had nowt else on today, i would give it a bash....

PIECE OF PISH.....Seriously!!... i realy dont know what all the fuss is about...

i had a single din jap toyota standard radio when i got the car ( on tuesday ).

i bought a Ripspeed 710 and cant recomend then highly enough....

all in all fitting time from deciding to go for it to sat watching 8-mile on my driveway i would say took no longer than 1 hour.

all i needed was a phillips screwdriver!!!..

As my car is a Year 2000 (V Plate) Import i needed a Autoleads adapter ( PC2 17-4 (9.99 from Sexton`s and even cheaper on ebay £5!)

Here are a couple of pics.....

rtbiscuit

looks good!   s:D :D s:D
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

Anonymous

had it in for a bit now and i have to say that i am pretty impressed so far.

the screen is nice and bright during the day and dims at night and is in no way in your face and distracting.

think i may upgrade the door speakers next and help on make/model`s i sould be looking at.

is it worth amping them up?

I was thinking or fitting 6x9`s one in each storage bin door? has this been done before? do they sound any good?.

Any help or advice apreciated!

Daz

Anonymous

have the same setup,i just bought an fm xpander(60€) and toyota to iso converter.i put spacers at screwfix point to bring unit more forward so screen would drop back more

Tags: