I'm thinking of getting one of these........

Started by Leeber, May 25, 2007, 07:52

Leeber

.......to drive my Rainbows. Anyone here got any experiences/informed opinions in relation to Blaupunkt amps?

m http://www.bluespot.co.uk/stock/amplifier_13.asp m

I'm wondering if I might be able to shoehorn it under the driver's seat.
I\'m Pink, Therefore I\'m Spam.

Tem

Quote from: "Leeber"I'm wondering if I might be able to shoehorn it under the driver's seat.

You won't, it's too high.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Depending on how tall you or any of your regular passengers are I'd fit it to the bulkhead behind the seat.

Leeber

I generally have the seat as far back as it'll go, I'll have a look at where the mrs puts the pax seat. If not, I guess it'll just have to go in the rear bin.

heathstimpson

I have a Blaupunkt amp under the cubby hole plastics that drives my under dash sub. It's a good piece of kit  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Leeber

Thanks Heath, that's good to know. I've just ordered one.

Did you build your underdash sub yourself?

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Leeber"Thanks Heath, that's good to know. I've just ordered one.

Did you build your underdash sub yourself?
Put it in myself but bought through Grant GSB from the Spyderchat GB from several years ago.
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Leeber

Oh of course, I forgot about that. Well, if you ever decide to sell it.......

Liz

After living with the UD sub for a few weeks now, you'd be very lucky if someone wanted to sell one, they are magic! Roof and windows down at motorway speed limits you can still hear clearly.  I bought Grants Genesis Profile 4 amp - that is very slim, possibly would go under the seats?
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Tem

Quote from: "Liz"I bought Grants Genesis Profile 4 amp - that is very slim, possibly would go under the seats?

I currently have the control boxes for GReddy gauges under the drivers seat. They are maybe some 20mm high or so. They barely fit and I can't move the seat forward/back anymore. It works by setting the seat to correct position and then bolting it on the car. There is really, really, little room under there.  s:? :? s:?

I'm not sure if an amp that low exists.  s:? :? s:?

aaronjb

Quote from: "Tem"I'm not sure if an amp that low exists.  s:? :? s:?

Pass - but the Profile Four is definitely thicker than Greddy control boxes (the PF4 was mine, and I have Greddy guages in the other car, too), so I don't see that amp fitting there..

Behind the passenger seat on the bulkhead would work well, though, since it's only 3cm thick or so, you'd lose next to no legroom.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

markiii

Profile 4 won't fit under the passenger seat

might do teh drvers but only if the seat is at it's highest
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Leeber

Oh well, it's not desperate. It would have been nice to have been able to use that little bit of dead space under the seats for something rather what little useful space there is in the bins.

On the subject of the UD sub (Thread creep alert! I know), has anyone managed to build one themselves? It can't be that hard can it (he says, running for cover)? If we ever do manage to finally move house I might have a go myself if someone can provide me with a few measurements. I'll be sure to alert the local A & E though as the last time I attempted a spot of woodwork I stuck a chisel through my finger severing 2 nerves.

rtbiscuit

if some one has one i can take a look at, and take measurements from, or see pictures of. i could probably knock one up in an afternoon.

already got a template for a rear bin mounted sub box from the one i bought off of dan
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

aaronjb

The UD sub is a very strange shape - and, from memory, fibreglass, not wood.. (Think lots of compound curves to fit nooks & crannies)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

rtbiscuit

GRP work isn't to difficult, and fairly easy to make a mould of the section out of GRP.

Previous cars:

Liz

Wasn't the design kept a secret ?  There are pictures of it on the forum somewhere.

Edit - this thread:

m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... dimensions m
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Tem

Quote from: "aaronjb"The UD sub is a very strange shape - and, from memory, fibreglass, not wood.. (Think lots of compound curves to fit nooks & crannies)

The original UD box is wood.  s8) 8) s8)

markiii

Quote from: "Liz"Wasn't the design kept a secret ?  There are pictures of it on the forum somewhere.

Edit - this thread:

m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... dimensions m

it was but since Musical Touch stopped selling them I don't see an issue with copying them
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

rtbiscuit

that seems easy enough  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Previous cars:

Leeber

Thanks for that link Liz, that seems like pretty much all the info that's needed.
Rich, I'd be interested to know how you get on if you try and make a copy of the sub. If you find it quite straight forward I'd gladly buy one off you at a decent profit. As I say, I'm so cack-handed I'd probably lose a couple of fingers in the process.

Chris

and i'm due royalties for sharing the design me thinks!!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s8) 8) s8)  

Surprised the pics still work as I left wanadoo after orange cocked it up..   s:x :x s:x
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

northernalex

I found that using the sony headunit that comes with pre 03 cars, and some 15 what rear speakers in the storage bins (doesnt take up any storage space) the sound quality is sweet and its louder than i need for my VERY noisy exhaust and driving at 70 with the top down.  Consider this before you get an amp.
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

rtbiscuit

if you don't mind waiting till the summer i will have plenty of time to knock one up.

if liz has one of these i can take a look at hers, although the dimensions given are pretty good, as long as the box design isn't tapered, which it doesn't look like.

making the box is not a problem, the only thing you would need to do extra is sort out the wiring, although with a little help i'm sure people would help me source one. as with the carpet covering.

Previous cars:

markiii

Rich, they are a pain to fit, so taking Liz, back out will be fun  :-) :-) :-)

however I can tell you they are symetrical and don't taper

Tags: