MR2 Colour

Started by Anonymous, December 3, 2003, 23:10

Anonymous

Hi peeps,

I'm a bit of a girlie and am soon to be a proud owner of an MR2, although I am having an issue regarding colour. I admit I like the MR2 in silver but their seems to be a large price difference if you have yellow one (Sahara I think they call it).

I wonder if any of you could tell me if there's an issue with yellow MR2's such as resale prices. I have yet to see a yellow one in the flesh and looking at some of the posts on here most of you would appear to have black, blue, red or silver.

Cheers

leggie  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Hi Leggie, welcome to the club (another MK member... nice!   s:D :D s:D  ).

You can find some pics of the yellow ones either on my site  m http://www.mr2-roadster.co.uk m  or craigs site  m http://www.mr2-photos.co.uk m

IIRC the yellows are a special order (ie, not made in bluk like the blues, blacks, silvers etc...) so usually take longer to get... but i cant see why they would be either more expensive or a lot cheaper... its personal preference i guess. While i would personally not own a yellow one, i know a couple of people that have them and they do look good!

Hope that helps

Kris

Anonymous

Thanks Kris, I have just had a look at the piccies, have found a yellow one located in Sussex. I'll go down at the weekend and have a look.

Hoping to have the car before Christmas, so I'll let you know what I get.

Leggie  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Quote from: "Leggie"Hi peeps,

I'm a bit of a girlie and am soon to be a proud owner of an MR2, although I am having an issue regarding colour. I admit I like the MR2 in silver but their seems to be a large price difference if you have yellow one (Sahara I think they call it).

I wonder if any of you could tell me if there's an issue with yellow MR2's such as resale prices. I have yet to see a yellow one in the flesh and looking at some of the posts on here most of you would appear to have black, blue, red or silver.

Cheers

leggie  s:) :) s:)

Hi Leggie.

I have a yellow one check out my website for pictures.
Theres no problems with the colour. I guess the resale value of any car depends on whats in fashion at the time of sale to some extent, thus people "play safe" and get boring colours like black and silver that have a more stable value.

Mine you, real sports cars are either Red or Yellow (Farrari or Lambo for example).

Anonymous

Quote from: "victor"Mine you, real sports cars are either Red or Yellow (Farrari or Lambo for example).
The Pagani is silver.  Pagani chose it because silver is the fastest colour...

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"but i cant see why they would be either more expensive or a lot cheaper... its personal preference i guess.
The Silver is metallic, hence the £250 (if I remember correctly) premium.

Leggie, I own one in silver and I wouldn't change it... Combine it with red leather and you will have the fastest combination.

MRMike

Wow Emmanuel we seem to agree on quite a lot..headphones...silver with red interior..good choice! the way the silver contrasts with the red of the interior and the rear lights does it for me. Plus in the brochure all the main pics are in silver...they always chose the best colour for the brochure car!!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

hi...
here u can c my yellow mobil....
 m http://www.pic.co.il/UserAlbum.asp?uid= ... &alid=7500 m

Anonymous

Being a small car, I don't think they look too bad in Yellow (not like a massive big blob), but wouldn't have it as my first choice.   The car is partly about grabbing attention (that's why it looks like it does), and yellow helps that greatly.

If yellow is your thing, I'd get one!  s:) :) s:)

dreambackup

Don't forget to look for the rare classy fast comet grey

full size pictures:
http://www.leica-gallery.net/dreambackup/folder-5740.html[/img]
[size=67]2003 Toyota MR-S 1E3 SMT w/ hardtop, red painted calipers & red J-Spec nose badge, PPE intake w/ Apex\'i air filter, Way-Do TRD + C1 springs, front C1 sway bar, TRD front strut tower brace, Corky\'s breastplate, 1E3 Dev keyhole covers, Che header, Remus dual[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Emmanuel"The Silver is metallic, hence the £250 (if I remember correctly) premium.

True, but no one actually pays more for the metalic do they... you just say "i aint paying extra for metalic... I'll have that for free please!"   s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Racing Green.... Gotta be racing green Why else would you call a colour racing green unless... well it was a racing car!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

zud

I've always been told that less popular/fashionable colours affect resale value and/or make it a bit harder to sell.  But most of us won't recoup the full value of wheels, exhausts, SMT, leather, spoilers etc etc when we come to sell, but we put them on because we like the way they look while we own the car.  So, if you like yellow, then an extra bit of depreciation is probably worth it (and relatively small) over the years you'll have the car.

I wouldn't fancy a yellow car myself, but I've seen a yellow '2 in Hampton Village, and thought it looked pretty good!  Good luck with whatever colour you go for.  I'm sure you won't be disappointed!
Blue SMT with leather, A/C and TTE Twin.

filcee

Quote from: "zud"most of us won't recoup the full value of wheels, exhausts, SMT, leather, spoilers etc etc when we come to sell

This is probably off topic and mis-quoting zud but,

If a dealer tries to flannel you on how little the options are worth on your trade-in, offer him an equivalent amount for the options on the new car you are buying.  I have had free leather and free metallic on cars before now (1400 quid in listed options - for nowt!).  They always want to do a deal - it's just a case of agreeing on how good that deal is for you and the dealer.
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

zud

Probably mis-quoting a little... but worth it for good advice!    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   Most of us aren't going to match car salesmen for negotiating skills, so any tips we can add to our repertoire are worth mentioning.

What I was really saying was that many (most?) of us spend money that we won't fully recoup, but it's worth it for the pleasure it adds while we own the car.  I was including after-sales mods as well as options.  And chosing yellow might fall into the same category.
Blue SMT with leather, A/C and TTE Twin.

Anonymous

There is of course the speed issue again !!!! LOL   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

http://www.mr2-photos.co.uk/colour.htm - Full Details Here

Here's why Blue is the fastest MR2 Roadster colour.

Comer

Pleaes don't buy a black car.  They are so common (he says trying to keep his car a rarity!)
Michael

Ex:    Black 2002 MR2 Roadster
Now:  Black 2002 Rav4 Cruiser

Slacey

Quote from: "Comer"Pleaes don't buy a black car.  They are so common (he says trying to keep his car a rarity!)
Yeah, they're awful, don't do it!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

heathstimpson

I've got a silver 2 but raced a yellow one at Silverstone. You would certainly would get noticed in Yellow. Anyway welcome from another MK member  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Quote from: "heathstimpson"Anyway welcome from another MK member  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Oh yes, sorry where are my manners!

Welcome to the club and the car of the smiles!  Practice smiling in the mirror now, or you will have jaw ache when you take delivery.   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Yellow is a nice clean colour, it suits certain cars, for example the renault megané coupe looked half decent in that colour. Welcome to the board, you have joined an exclusive club   s:D :D s:D  

BTW, I like the look of that sable with hardtop (dreambackup). Looking to buy in the near future, glad to see it still holds its clean lines   s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Welcome welcome. Just a "impartial" view...... "cough" ........but if I had another choice, there is no better colour than Sable (even though I own a blue one!  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  )  s:D :D s:D

filcee

I have to agree with John Woodward, having owned a blue, and now a Sable!

(Elfin, you should see a Sable in the tin, with a top on - they look fab - but then I'm biased ..)
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Anonymous

welcome to the board.
yellow is nice but for resale i would personally go for silver,besides you get a nice silvery/purpley shine to it at sunset in the summer just after you have washed/waxed and polished it.  s8) 8) s8)  
besides its the best colour with a hard top on.

Anonymous

Welcome Leggie!

Personally, I think Chilli Red is the best (but then I would say that!)   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    I would say with the hard-top on silver/black looks the best, but with the hood down on a nice sunny day, you'd be hard pushed to beat a freshly polished Chilli Red...  (see pics in link below)  s:D :D s:D  

If you're looking at getting Sahara yellow, WoodenDummy's MR2 is probably the best advertisement going for purchasing such a colour - it really is a lovely car.  Try PM-ing him and ask him for a test drive, he isn't going very far with it at the moment   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Sundance   s8) 8) s8)

DAZ400

Welcome Leggie!

From another MK owner, mine is chilli red and I was told by the dealer that red is not a popular colour and it would take longer to order. My guess they have not heard of Ferrari !!!!!!

Pick what ever colour you like it is your choice the dealer is not going to give you a good price if you sell later what ever colour it is.   s8) 8) s8)
SOLD No more 2. Just a bus for the family..........

Tags: