Advice wanted should I buy another 2

Started by NorthandSouth, October 14, 2007, 14:31

NorthandSouth

Hey all

I had new tyres fitted on my 2 yesterday and it now appears that the car has had a shunt up the back end.  The bumper is almost touching the rear tyre so I know I need to get this sorted out BUT before I do...this happened today...so I need some extra advice.  Most of you will know that I have had trouble with this 2 from the day I bought it which is about 8 weeks ago.  I dropped into the garage today to pick up some paperwork and I have now been offered a special edition Red in sable on an 04 plate with 7500 miles YES you did see right, for a bit more than I paid for the black 2000 on an X and that has 72,000 on it.  Got no figures yet as I have said i will think about it and go back tomorrow night after work.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated

Lynne   s:D :D s:D
Lynne
2004 Sable Red Edition now sold :( and would so love another!

Anonymous

What are they offering you for your black 02? Did you buy the 02 from them? If so offer them yours plus £500 for the sable.

NorthandSouth

mine if a 2000 which i did buy from them and that they have had to put into toyota to get o2 sensor replaced.  I paid 6,000 for mine plus my part exchange as the screen price was 8000 and the sable is up for 9999.  i reckon he is going to be looking for 2000 plus mine
Lynne
2004 Sable Red Edition now sold :( and would so love another!

Anonymous

Offer him yours plus £1000 then, over the phone. Say it is the absolute max you can go and play the "help me out here card"

spit

Parking the figures of the deal for a moment, a move to post-facelift will get you 16" rears, better handling, better resale value, and get a problematic '2 off your hands.

Special Edition Red is perhaps a temptation for the garage to overinflate the value of the car on the basis that it is "special", so you've got a negotiation chip up your sleeve there by letting them know that you know that it "aint all that"  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  aside from some cosmetics.

That said, for that age (and mileage!) it looks like a good deal and what they're offering you for the tainted black also seems pretty decent .... but as Craig says it wouldn't hurt to push them a bit more to keep your custom and help out their turnover figures at this quiet time of year. Play 'em Lynne!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  (and Mike!)
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

spit

(PS - if your rear crash bar has deformed at the edge, I've got a mint spare one kicking about in the garage  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  )
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

£9999 for an 04 plate Red edition with such low miles seems too cheap to me as garages normally sell at top book.  I would definitely HPI it and probably have an independent check as well.

Chris_h

Quote from: "steveupton"£9999 for an 04 plate Red edition with such low miles seems too cheap to me as garages normally sell at top book.  I would definitely HPI it and probably have an independent check as well.

Having called a few sellers re used 2's, I can confirm the market is dead right now (nothing selling), so this isn't necessarily 'too cheap'.

Agree with the checks though   s:D :D s:D  

Fords of Winsford have a few 04/05 and 55 sub 1k cars around the 10k mark. ISTR one had a hard top.
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

roger

Inchcape have a silver 06 with 25 miles on the clock for £12K sticker price. Prices certainly down!
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

aaronjb

Quote from: "roger"Inchcape have a silver 06 with 25 miles on the clock for £12K sticker price. Prices certainly down!

s:cry: :cry: s:cry:    s:cry: :cry: s:cry:    s:cry: :cry: s:cry:
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

philster_d

Im sure they were closer to 15 when I went to Guildford the other week.

Anonymous

Im paying 10k for my 03 sable with 26 on the clock ....
so the ubove looks live a very nice deal .... mine is looking mint too ...

Anonymous

Wizard, hate to tell you this but I paid £7700 for my 03 blue in january with 19K on the clock!  s:) :) s:)

edit, unless you mean 26 miles not 26000 miles!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

roger

Quote from: "philster_d"I'm sure they were closer to 15 when I went to Guildford the other week.

I looked on autobytel which gives all Inchcape. There were some at that sort of level as well. That was the cheapest   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Roger

Anonymous

Quote from: "theWizard"I'm paying 10k for my 03 sable with 26 on the clock ....
so the ubove looks live a very nice deal .... mine is looking mint too ...

Ditto - if that is 26k then you've been had - Wouldn't pay more than around 9k at this time of year.

I part ex'd my 44k mint 03 (leathert,aircon, complete set of Toyota options) for £8,300 in June.

richbay

thats got me thinking of px my 2001 Y plate for a newer model, anyone seen any good ones in hertforshire? sorry off topic...
but the limited one does sound a very good buy if he is offering what you paid for yours. and it comes with piece of mind too, hopefully, perhaps someone local would come and look at it with you...

Chris_h

I recall the Wizard's car came with a htop and the assurances of a main dealer, so thats worth a few quid.

I think the main dealer pricing really depends whether they actually want to shift stock or not. The car supermarkets have a number of these 55reg corporate cars with sub 500 miles, all around 11k, under warranty etc - but presumably sitting around for 2 years being unloved cant be good..
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

Anonymous

Im selling my import MRS with bodykit if of any interest, £4,795.

Anonymous

Indeed i have the hard top, and as said its from a main dealer and looking around that price seems very reasonable from a main dealer, no doubt i could have got it cheaper from a general car shop or even private ... but did that with my last car and have vowed only to ever buy from main dealers from now on !

Anonymous

Hi guys

I bought an 06 in silver with less than 4,000 miles on at the beginning of October and the sticker price was 12995 from York Toyota but i got more than expected for my 06 hyundai coupe (1500 more than one conman offered) so was very happy with the deal. I'm not sure if the market is quite as slow as someone has said though, as the dealer had 2 when i went and they both sold that weekend.

I had a mazda mx5 from new in 03 and the mr2 is a million times better in every way. I lurrrrve it   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

roger

Welcome SarahAnn, glad you've seen the light.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Get yourself involved on here, plenty of information (and help) if you get at all stuck.
Roger

Liz

Quote from: "Brad123"I'm selling my import MRS with bodykit if of any interest, £4,795.

With or without the fault fixed!?
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

uktotty

So are these price drops due to the season and the weather or is the 2 losing  it's resale value hand over fist?
I was looking at 06's 3 months ago for £15,000

roger

Quote from: "uktotty"So are these price drops due to the season and the weather or is the 2 losing  it's resale value hand over fist?

There has always been a "winter" drop, we will only really know next spring/summer if its permanent or seasonal.
Roger

Anonymous

Quote from: "uktotty"So are these price drops due to the season and the weather or is the 2 losing  it's resale value hand over fist?
I was looking at 06's 3 months ago for £15,000

Paid 13k for my 06 with delivery mileage on it back in feb.

Tags: