Removing side indicators

Started by scottee, February 27, 2004, 16:50

scottee

How hard is it to remove the side indicators? do they just clip off. I've ordered new clear ones from fensport.

Anonymous

here you go - some pics for ya.

m http://www.mr2roc.org/viewtopic.php?t=654 m

Anonymous

Use a  nice wide bladed flat screw driver wrapped in masking tape inserted at the rerar of the light (towards the back of the car). you can also tightly roll up a piece of rag to use as a fulcrum to lever the light off.
That way nothing makes contact with the paintwork.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Quote from: "perry190"Use a  nice wide bladed flat screw driver wrapped in masking tape inserted at the rerar of the light (towards the back of the car). you can also tightly roll up a piece of rag to use as a fulcrum to lever the light off.
That way nothing makes contact with the paintwork.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

I did that when revmoing the vents, only using my fingers as the fulcrum.

Anonymous

Put them screwdrivers away  s:!: :!: s:!:  

A very nice man (who's name escapes me) showed me at JAE 2002 how to do mine.

1) Pop the plastic rivets from around your wheel arch.

2) Insert hand & disconect cable from rear of indicator.

3) Pinch indicator clips & push through.

4) Repeat in reverse for fitting of new ones.

& that is the height of my technical knowledge     s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

you dont even have to do that - just pull on them from one end and they will unclip.

Anonymous

I did mine last week. I got a kitchen knife and inserted the end of the knife behind the side of the indicator and twisted the knife. indicator pops out with little effort and no damage to paint work.

Tom

Slacey

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  Some of these methods involving tools and knives sound a little drastic! They do indeed pop out if you push them sideways toward the front of the car whilst pulling away... this is even the method the handbook shows  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Spangles"I did mine last week. I got a kitchen knife and inserted the end of the knife behind the side of the indicator and twisted the knife. indicator pops out with little effort and no damage to paint work.

Tom
Sounds like too much opportunity to slip with that knife across your beautiful paint work though  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Quote from: "Slacey":shock: Some of these methods involving tools and knives sound a little drastic! They do indeed pop out if you push them sideways toward the front of the car whilst pulling away... this is even the method the handbook shows  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
...and indeed this is exactly what I did when I replaced mine   s:D :D s:D    The only problem was that they were such stubborn g*ts to remove that I must have spent the best part of an hour trying to get the driver's side one off!  For some reason it was wedged in...!  I must say I was pushing so hard that at one point I thought my fingernails were going to scrape off... nice

Basically fitting them is like fitting the side vents - yank the B8stard hard enough and it should pop out...   s8) 8) s8)  

Sundance   s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

Quote from: "SilverMSD2"Put them screwdrivers away  s:!: :!: s:!:  

A very nice man (who's name escapes me) showed me at JAE 2002 how to do mine.

1) Pop the plastic rivets from around your wheel arch.

2) Insert hand & disconect cable from rear of indicator.

3) Pinch indicator clips & push through.

4) Repeat in reverse for fitting of new ones.

& that is the height of my technical knowledge     s:? :? s:?

Still not the best option - too much work   s:!: :!: s:!:  

Open the door and look towards the indicators between frame and wing   s:idea: :idea: s:idea:  
You can see the indicators sitting there and support with a plastic piece from the "back" if they're sticky   s8) 8) s8)  - usually they can be removed w/o any tool - as mentioned before   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

scottee

Fitted them today (thanks adam, top guy) they look lovely on my silver bodywork, kept the MR2 seals from the old indicators. i've kept the old indicators just incase for some reason someone wants them, they can have them for nothing.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Sundance"Basically fitting them is like fitting the side vents - yank the B8stard hard enough and it should pop out...   s8) 8) s8)  

Sundance   s8) 8) s8)

Which means I'll probably crack one of them   s:? :? s:?

Liz

I managed mine by myself - if you want a hand give me a shout.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

I'll give it a go myself.  A bit busy this weekend   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  but Monday evening I'll be there with all the neighbours wondering "What on earth is that new girl doing now"    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Liz"I managed mine by myself - if you want a hand give me a shout.

Thanks anyway for the offer.   s:D :D s:D

Tags: