Mount the Mobile !

Started by crankshaft, April 6, 2004, 16:11

crankshaft

OK, where's the bestest place to mount my mobile ??

U know, the normal Ericsson mount with a 2 axis swivel mount.

I don't want to drill any holes in the dash, on 'my other car' I have a gooseneck which is bolts to the floor using the passenger seat rails.

Is there a really neat way of mounting it in the '2' ??

I don't mind making up some aluminiumm brackets !

Cheers

Crankshaft.
2001 SMT - Pete

Anonymous

I used the proper fitting bracket for the two that goes behind the console where the knobs are, but to be honest there were enough rattles in this mota as it was so I soon took it out and went bluetooth

noddynurdle

i have a special mount called keep it in my pocket. When i am driving my MR2 I aint gonna speak to anyone. its the only chance of peace i get
  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
it might go off it you touch it
2000 red/black second hand had 5500 on clock
now got 38000.
MODS after market valve caps, dynamatted focal 165a speakers, visor pluged, painted calipers and a set of Victor\'s bags.
oh and me nodding dog called spot.

Slacey

Mine is kept in the centre console cup holder! (I use BT too)
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

filcee

Switch it off and throw it in the glovebox.  No-one can hear you with the top down anyway, and you don't want anybody to ring you just as you are about to let your right foot loose on your favourite bit of road  s;-) ;-) s;-)

If you are desperate to speak to people while driving, use Bluetooth.  It's good enough (except on the motorway, when I can't hear the caller, and they can't hear a word I'm saying).  And it saves you having to muck about with fitting kits and all that jazz.
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

aaronjb

Another vote for Bluetooth here - mine sits in the centre cup holder too.

Having said that, I'm probably actually going to get an Ericsson holder to put the phone in, given that you can't actually see it when it's in the cup holder to see who's calling.. I was planning on using the (usually) included sticky pads to weld it to the dashboard, though..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

crankshaft

Thanx for all the suggestions  :-) :-) :-)

Yep, I have the ericsson bluetooth car kit in my other car, works great especially the noise cancelling.

I am going to use Bluetooth in the 2 as well, but the law says that the phone must be held in a cradle and not kept on your seat, pocket, glovebox etc.

I was looking for ideas of where I could put a bracket that looks 'professional'
2001 SMT - Pete

GSB

Quote from: "crankshaft"I am going to use Bluetooth in the 2 as well, but the law says that the phone must be held in a cradle and not kept on your seat, pocket, glovebox etc.

I though the law said you were not allowed to "hold" the phone whilst driving. Its allowed to be in your pocket...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Slacey

Quote from: "GSB"I though the law said you were not allowed to "hold" the phone whilst driving. Its allowed to be in your pocket...
That's what I thought too - in your pocket / gloveboxx it is out os sight, out of mind - if it's in a cradle in front of your face it's more of a distraction, surely?
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Yep, ours stays pocketed.

crankshaft

I have a friend who is a policeman, that's what he told me. It must be permenantly mounted in a fixed cradle, or if not then it must be switched off.

So if they stop you and see the mobile on the seat next to you and it's switched on, AND the engine is running you can get nicked even if you are not using it !

He told me that 3 months ago, now my memory is not what it used to be but I am pretty sure that was the gist of it !

Crankshaft.
2001 SMT - Pete

GSB

Quote from: "crankshaft"I have a friend who is a policeman, that's what he told me. It must be permenantly mounted in a fixed cradle, or if not then it must be switched off.

Then his interpretation is wrong:

Quote from: "Department for transport"In a new regulation that came into force on 1 December 2003, it is a specific offence to use a hand-held phone, or similar device, when driving. The penalty is a £30 fixed penalty or up to £1,000 on conviction in court (£2,500 for drivers of goods vehicles, buses or coaches). Drivers still risk prosecution (for failure to have proper control) if they use hands-free phones when driving.

Q1. What does the regulation say about hand-held phones?
The use of a hand-held phone or similar hand-held device while driving is now prohibited. A hand-held device is something that "is or must be held at some point during the course of making or receiving a call or performing any other interactive communication function".

A device is "similar" to a mobile phone if it performs an interactive communication function by transmitting and receiving data. Examples of interactive communication functions are sending and receiving spoken or written messages, sending or receiving still or moving images and providing access to the internet.

2-way radios are subject to special treatment under the regulations. See Q14 below regarding 2-way radios for further information.

Q2. Is hands-free phone equipment allowed?
Provided that a phone can be operated without holding it, then hands-free equipment is not prohibited by the new regulation.

And pushing buttons on a phone while it is in a cradle or on the steering wheel or handlebars of a motorbike for example is not covered by the new offence, provided you don't hold the phone.

However, hands-free phones are also distracting and you still risk prosecution for failing to have proper control of a vehicle under Regulation 104 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 if you use a hands-free phone when driving. If there is an incident, the use of any phone or similar device might justify charges of careless or dangerous driving.

Q6. Will mobile phones have to be switched off in vehicles?
No. Passengers may want to use them. And drivers can use them when they are safely parked.

Q10. Can I use a hand-held mobile phone when stopped in a traffic jam?
The prohibition applies when driving. Driving includes times when stopped at traffic lights or during other hold-ups that may occur during a typical journey when a vehicle can be expected to move off after a short while.

In exceptional traffic jams, such as a lengthy stoppage on a motorway, it would be clear that someone wasn't driving if the engine was off.

Q11. Are there any exemptions?
Yes. There is an exemption for calls to 999 (or 112) in genuine emergencies where it is unsafe or impractical to stop. There is also an exemption for the use of 2-way radios (see Q14 below).

Q12. Am I be able to cradle a phone between my ear and shoulder?
No. The offence applies if a phone has to be "held" while making or receiving a call. Therefore you should not hold a phone between your ear and shoulder - or anywhere else - when driving.

source:  m http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/d ... 25216.hcsp m

Other reading:

m http://www.thinkroadsafety.gov.uk/advic ... phones.htm m
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

crankshaft

Thanx, certaing seems he is !!
2001 SMT - Pete

kanujunkie

if you have the standard sony swivel mount the with a piece of foam and some thin tye-wraps, it can be very neatly attached to the to of the tube/handle on the door, perfect position and best of all, no holes drilled!

do you want photo's?
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Try this one:

My personal solution   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

markiii

eifell, what make is the chrome surround on your emergency red button.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

If you are going to use a Cradle! then the best place is to clip it to a vent choie of center or side i perfer the center. If any cables need feeding to teh cradle then all you have to do is feed them throught the air vents found behind the h/u drill a hole and then plug it with plastercen !

very simple and easy way or mounting a moble without wires being seen.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Eifel-Roadster"Try this one:

Ah Ha I see....................   you've unpicked the stitching on the seat and slip your phone in there covert style  s;-) ;-) s;-)

Anonymous

sorry for topic drift - but what's going on with those side vent / air intake things then?

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"eifell, what make is the chrome surround on your emergency red button.

s:arrow: :arrow: s:arrow:   KLICK

includes also the link to the ESAD-HP   s:!: :!: s:!:

Anonymous

Quote from: "perry190"
Quote from: "Eifel-Roadster"Try this one:

(pic removed)

Ah Ha I see....................   you've unpicked the stitching on the seat and slip your phone in there covert style  s;-) ;-) s;-)

s:?: :?: s:?:    s:?: :?: s:?:    s:?: :?: s:?:   - didn't get this one   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  , but if you're German is as good as my English, feel free to express yourself in my native language....   s8) 8) s8)    s8) 8) s8)    s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

Quote from: "swp"sorry for topic drift - but what's going on with those side vent / air intake things then?

Standard TTE, in original blue colour.

Tags: