Replacing battery

Started by Anonymous, April 7, 2004, 10:39

Anonymous

The battery on the 2 seems to have given up life this morning and I'm going to pick up a replacement at lunch.

Now I need to get this fitted this evening and just want to know if there are any difficulties in doing this or whether its the simple 10 minute job I think it is?

Anonymous

allow 30 mins for you Jagster  s;-) ;-) s;-)

Anonymous

Cheers matey   s:D :D s:D  

Seriously, is it a piece of piss? Toyota quoted 1 hour to do it   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

markiii

15 mins max to anyone who has a brain.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Tem

Quote from: "jag"The battery on the 2 seems to have given up life this morning and I'm going to pick up a replacement at lunch.

Just wondering...but did you try charging it? I'd guess that you do a lot of short driving, which drains the battery and never has the time to fully charge it. The battery should be good for +10 years, I doubt it's actually dead.

Also, it's a special size, so the dealer might have to order it. And sit down when you hear the price  s;) ;) s;)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

AA came out and the guy did his thing. He said that it was losing charge and that he thought it was knackered.

Already called Toyota - £41+VAT but they had it in stock.

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"15 mins max to anyone who has a brain.

Assuming far too much there   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Chris

I've got it down to a fine art now - I reckon I could have it out in under 5!

What with the car just sitting around most of the time, the battery drains down (from the alarm i guess) and i've had to charge it twice now...   s:x :x s:x  
It's got some nice pop up handles on each side though, to make carrying it easier!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Anonymous

5 minutes hey? It'll probably take me that long to just get one of the bolts off!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Picked up battery from Mr.T. Doesn't fit   s:x :x s:x  

Apparantly I shouldn't expect the new batteries to fit as good as a stock one   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

The new battery doesn't have a groove down the middle where the holding bracket goes which is why it doesn't fit properly.

Apart from going back to Mr.T to complain, any other suggestions?

Tem

Quote from: "jag"The new battery doesn't have a groove down the middle where the holding bracket goes which is why it doesn't fit properly.

Apart from going back to Mr.T to complain, any other suggestions?

Just take it back, they sold you a wrong battery, probably hoping it would fit. You need to get a MR2-specific battery (or at least something similar).

Anonymous

I'm sure its a generic battery that is meant to fit quite a few different models.

The little scrotes!

Anonymous

Mine's given up this morning as well. Well I'm hoping it's the battery!

The alarm went off last night and wouldn't shut up. It was doing very odd things locking and unlocking itself and flashing random lights. The RAC got it started this morning with a huge booster battery and it's at Toyota being looked at now.

Worriyingly Toyota reckon it may well be an electrical grmlin rather than the battery. Ho Hum. So much for going to Wales tommorrow!

Amusingly my Citroen AX racecar has been more reliable than the '2 so far!

dave.

Chris

Quote from: "davejevons"The alarm went off last night and wouldn't shut up.

In my experiance lately, if you disconnect the battery with the alarm set, then it goes off because it thinks the car is being stolen/played around with.

Mind you, being the standard quiet-o alram it doesn't usually bother anyone!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Anonymous

I'm hoping that was what was happening. The level of the battery kept going so low it thought it had been disconnected and therefore setting the alarm off. Well I'll know for certain soon when Toyota call back [Stares at mobile]

dave.

Anonymous

You better hope its not the battery as the replacement from Mr.T doesn't fit! Went back at lunch and the part no seems right but the part isn't. They are investigating.

Anonymous

Quote from: "jag"You better hope its not the battery as the replacement from Mr.T doesn't fit! Went back at lunch and the part no seems right but the part isn't. They are investigating.

Hmmm. I called several times and eventually got through (why do Mr. T never call you back?!) to a tech who said that the battery was indeed dead and they have one on order to come in Saturday. Apparently it will cost between £60 and £80!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  for a battery! Is it me or is that a bit steep?

Anyway I'm without the '2 until Tuesday as that's the earliest I can pick it up. Let's hope they manage to find the right battery!

thanks

dave.

Anonymous

I've now been told that you may have to 'modify' the bracket to hold the battery in place   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Pants   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

Tem

Quote from: "jag"I've now been told that you may have to 'modify' the bracket to hold the battery in place   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Then you might wanna have them keep their £41+VAT battery and get the same for half in any car parts store...

It just can't be a MR2 battery, no matter what they claim. Toyota wouldn't sell parts that require you to cut your car to make it fit.

Anonymous

Anonymous

Went to another dealer and decided to let them fit the one as suggested in their little book. Fitting was £5+VAT so figiured it was worth it after all the hassle and to see if they could actually do it.

Anyway, they did   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Haven't checked it over thoroughly yet but the holding bracket looks bent so i guess they had to work at it to get it to fit. TBH, its not something I would have tried to do as I wasn't sure how much pressure it could take before snapping but it seems ok.

Anonymous

Just had the call from Toyota to say they have fitted the battery.

Not terribly impressed as it took them 6 days and cost £76.38.   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

dave.

Anonymous

£76 for battery + fitting?

Anonymous

Couldn't believe it, my battery gave up this morning  s:( :( s:(   (may be the 80gb hard drive - who knows?) but charged it all day & it started fine tonight, lets see if it starts in the morning  s:? :? s:?  

2 1/2 years old 16K on the clock & the battery dies - that's not right, I do about 25 miles a day & not little 5 minute shopping trips (obviously with no boot   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  )

Anonymous

I guess if it dies again in the next day you'll pretty much know if it needs replacing   s:) :) s:)

Tags: