Manually resetting the engine management light on a 2005 MR2

Started by Anonymous, November 22, 2011, 21:16

Anonymous

I've had the engine management light on for a good while now on my car, but there has been no change in performance or anything else since it has been on.

Is there any way to manually switch the light off without messing about with the battery or getting under the car?

Steve Green

What's the point? It will only come on again because the fault will still be there. It may even be masking another.
Better to get an OBD2 reader, find and resolve the problem than pretend it isnt there.
Lots of info on here when you use the search button.
2003 Facelift SMT

Did my old avatar offend you?

Anonymous

I know what the problem is. Error code p0136.
I even have the sensor required to sort it, but no idea how to fit it, and I can't put the car on ramps to get underneath it.

I just want to reset it manually before I sell it onto a car dealer

VVT-i

Get yourself an O2 sensor socket, some plusgas... heat the car up to get the exhaust as hot as possible... unplug the sensor then unscrew it.. fit the new one in and plug it in... disconnect the battery to reset the light, problem solved. If all goes well.. it should take no more than 10 minutes.

m http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/ ... opic=83024 m    < might help a little.

I'm also sure there was a video.. PM Les.. he might have it somewhere.
2005 MR2 Roadster  (Black)
P.E. Turbo and other stuff that gives 234BHP  \";)\"

Quote from: \"Wabbitkilla\"Mine is a bit stiff when cold, but once it\'s warmed up it slips in nicely.

Steve Green

Quote from: "jjlang"I know what the problem is. Error code p0136.
I even have the sensor required to sort it, but no idea how to fit it, and I can't put the car on ramps to get underneath it.

I just want to reset it manually before I sell it onto a car dealer

So if I read it correctly, you plan to mislead the car dealer into thinking he has bought a car with no problems.

I can only speak for myself but I am pretty sure that this club would frown upon such activity.

But to repeat what I said earlier, you could reset the ECU, but the light would come back on if the fault is not resolved. Perhaps just as you arrive at the dealers!
2003 Facelift SMT

Did my old avatar offend you?

Anonymous

Pop along to your local exhaust centre. They will fit it and clear the cel for a tenner(ish).

Anonymous

This can be changed without a ramp.

Wabbitkilla

Besides a decent garage does checks when taking a car in, they plug in a reader and will see the code pending straight away and know you're being dishonest with them. Get the sensor swapped out!
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Tags: