Help - new stereo

Started by CJW, March 30, 2012, 15:45

CJW

Hi - Mrs CJW here, asking some questions as we're a bit stuck
We've bought the Kenwood DPX404U to replace the currently installed Fisher Price unit. I bought a lead that, according to the catologue was the correct one but, it doesn't fit. The garage have told me it has active speakers and this means we need a different lead. The car is a 2005 Red but, from searching on the internet it seems it shouldn't have active speakers.
Can anyone advise on what we need to make this unit fit or, do I just give this to hubby to fit in the Cougar? Thanks

Anonymous

active speakers no if you do a quick little search someone will have a post with the exact lead required.
and keep it for the 2 it deserves it

CJW

Chris here,
looks like it might be going into the Cougar, because we cannot find, anywhere, the information we need. Believe me, we've spent all afternoon sending emails, searching various forums and the web in general.
Looks like the POS Fisher Price unit will have to stay. Crying shame.

Raptor

Hi, I have this unit fitted in my 2 with no problems, it was fitted by REVS WEST in Torquay
 m http://www.revswest.com/ m    
No mension of any extra leads as i'm sure they would have charged me for one if it was needed!

CJW

Quote from: "Raptor"Hi, I have this unit fitted in my 2 with no problems, it was fitted by REVS WEST in Torquay
 m http://www.revswest.com/ m    
No mension of any extra leads as i'm sure they would have charged me for one if it was needed!

I don't know what to tell you, the wife took the car to our local garage to get the stereo fitted (these are the guys who have always serviced our vehicles and we trust them). They told her, once they'd dismantled everything, that they discovered that the wiring just did not match nor did the adaptor harness (bought from elsewhere).
Sometimes living on the IOM has its drawbacks - you can't just pop out and get a replacement adaptor harness from a local car audio centre or Halfrauds (there ain't any!). So now we're stuck with this fabulous unit which can't be wired into the car for which it was bought.
I'm going to claim it for my Cougar, 'cos I'm just not that patient.

Thanks for the link, Keren (Mrs.) has written to them.

Raptor

Here's a link to the wiering harness for it!

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PC2-17-4-Toyo ... 2a14956df5 m

CJW

Quote from: "Raptor"Here's a link to the wiering harness for it!

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PC2-17-4-Toyo ... 2a14956df5 m

That's the one we have already bought and it doesn't fit. But thanks for trying.

onion86

You should have 4 cables coming out of the car loom into the Fisher Price, that cable above fits in to 2 of those (white end) then there should be an ISO lead in the box with you new unit that attaches to the black end and into the rear of the stereo. That's the exact lead I used less than a month ago to put a new stereo in my 55 without issue and the same lead that was in my W reg when I bought it so it definitely fits unless something has been butchered in your car!

Do you have any pics of the wiring and did you new unit come with an ISO lead?
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

DannyN

Put some pictures up of what youve got, both ends of the leads, back of the stereo, sockets in the car etc
We as a community can definitley fix this for you easily
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

CJW

Quote from: "DannyN"Put some pictures up of what youve got, both ends of the leads, back of the stereo, sockets in the car etc
We as a community can definitley fix this for you easily

It's really great that you're all so willing to help, much appreciated.
The problem is, we have the technical abilities of someone with zero technical abiities and we're scared to attempt the disassembly required to get at the back of the Fisher Price unit.   s:( :( s:(  
If I'm feeling brave, and the wife is willing to assist (and brave the inevitable shouting and blue language), we might have a look tomorrow.
Thanks again, watch this space...

CJW

So, the latest is, feeling adventurous I decided to have a go at tackling the removal of the Fisher Price unit so that I could at least get some pix of the wiring.

Stage 1: Side rails removed - those 'silver' panels at the bottom are very stiff, but decided a bit of brute force and tugging would work - it did.
Stage 2: Heater nobs removed, facscia plate removed - piece of cake.
Stage 3: Remove factory fitted surround to stereo. Errrr...no. No amount of cajoling, swearing and throwing things would persuade it to come off. What's the technique?

End result: several layers of skin removed from index finger and all pieces re-assembled. To summarise - epic fail!!

Interestingly, I could see no evidence of any of this work having been attempted by 'our' garage. All screw heads and surrounds were pristine and without any scratches. No way could they have removed that surround plate without leaving at least some scratch marks.

loadswine

Chris, once you have the head unit removed, the fascia is removed by inserting your thumb between the sides of the head unit and the plastic of the fascia surround. This facelift is just clipped in position in 3 positions on each side. i am uploading pics to help you now.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Anonymous

Did you refer to this?
 l viewtopic.php?f=47&t=12583 l
Iirc the surround just clips on.

loadswine

CJW

Cheers loadswine, but I haven't got as far as removing the head unit - I can't get at the retaining screws as they're behind the 'surround plate' and I cannot get it to unclip to enable access to the screw heads.
I'm going to take it round to a mate's house and see if he can fettle it.

loadswine

You should be able to prise off the fascia with it in situ.

onion86

Quote from: "CJW"Cheers loadswine, but I haven't got as far as removing the head unit - I can't get at the retaining screws as they're behind the 'surround plate' and I cannot get it to unclip to enable access to the screw heads.
I'm going to take it round to a mate's house and see if he can fettle it.
You need to take the surround plate off before you take the head unit off not after (Nige was obviously just showing you on one that was not installed in a car); as you've noticed you can't get to the 2 top screws without taking it off so it's a must unless you want to round them off!

Stick a thumb behind the one side of the surround (left or right not top or bottom) and pull it out away from the head unit slightly then pull back (as shown in pics above), it's pretty stiff but it will come off without breaking then the opposite side will come off easily. As a bit of good news for you the surround will go back on the new unit much easier than it comes off  s:) :) s:)
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

CJW

Woohoo! It's fitted!!!
Took it to a mate's house and he didn't even need to remove the surround plate off the old unit - one long shafted phillips, 5 minutes and the old unit was out.
5 minutes later it was connected to the wiring adaptor harness and slotted back into place.
All I need now is to get a surround plate to hide the sides of the new unit - but it sounds brilliant.
Thanks everyone for your help and advice.

Rinzleristron

Quote from: "CJW"Woohoo! It's fitted!!!
Took it to a mate's house and he didn't even need to remove the surround plate off the old unit - one long shafted phillips, 5 minutes and the old unit was out.
5 minutes later it was connected to the wiring adaptor harness and slotted back into place.
All I need now is to get a surround plate to hide the sides of the new unit - but it sounds brilliant.
Thanks everyone for your help and advice.

Did it not come with the surround plate? Here's mine:-

l viewtopic.php?f=31&t=37418 l

CJW

Quote from: "Rinzleristron"Did it not come with the surround plate? Here's mine:-

l viewtopic.php?f=31&t=37418 l

No, just as you see in the pic.
Now, obviously, there's some cosmetic adjustments to be made, but I can get a surround plate made by the engineers at work.
I'm just happy to have the thing in situ.

IMAG0027 by CJWormwell, on Flickr

Rinzleristron

If you have the original double din size factory fitted fascia you can re-use that and just get one of these (it fits the Roadster too):-

m http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/autolead ... -3039.html m

It might save you having to make something custom. All you would need to do is ditch the cage that came with the stereo, and fit the above fascia mounts to the side of the new headunit and the factory fitted fascia will fit around those

Rinzleristron

...like this.

... and good choice of headunit, your taste is impeccable!

iPap

Why are they not fitted flush?

My Pioneer sits flush, I'll try and find a picture
2001, Black MR2, Elise Leather Seats, Aircon and Factory TTE Kit, BC Coilovers, SP Brace, Corkys Front Brace, Devs\' Front Bushes, Rebuilt Toyota 1ZZ Engine, Head and Six Speed Box, Cobra Twin Exhaust, Decat Manifold, Short Shift and Solid Bushes, etc...

CJW

Quote from: "iPap"Why are they not fitted flush?

My Pioneer sits flush, I'll try and find a picture

Because the side brackets aren't adjustable to allow it to sit further back?

onion86

Quote from: "iPap"Why are they not fitted flush?
Same thing I was thinking, looks pretty awful, even with those extra side bits to make it look 'better'  s:? :? s:?

Tags: