how good is this CAI?

Started by Anonymous, May 6, 2004, 00:06

Anonymous

markiii

8-10 BHP my arse.

and what exactly makes it a CAI?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

i know the performance gains are bullsh*t and lets just call it a WAI (warm air intake) shall we

but i was just on the lookout for some cheap mods for my 2, as my funds are a bit on the low side at the mo.

do you think the filter is of good quality? i dont want all sorts getting in my engine   s:( :( s:(

Anonymous

Best thing to do is: if you buy it, torch it.  s8) 8) s8)

MRMike

Quote from: "markiii"8-10 BHP my arse.

and what exactly makes it a CAI?

Please tell us Mark!  Ahh for some reason that sentence makes me laugh.  Nearly as much as this CAI.   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

The filter looks like a K&N rip off.  With an entire metal tube your going to get a lot of heat build up, and really I don't think there is any way this mod is going to make power.  It might make a nice sound but thats it.  The MR2 has a really well designed air intake, and I think there is little you can do to imrpove it.  If you want to see how hard it is to improve it look at Beanie's post on the other CAI thread, thats the amount of planning that should go into something like this before you can even think about gains.  It's sad that these companies make this generic tat and take peoples money.

If you want it for sound/aesthetic looks then thats another matter..but if your thinking of buying it for any other reason I wouldn't!
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

i know all to well that most induction kits dont offer any performance gains.

The reason im thinking of buying it is for the sound (hmm, maybe this should be in the Audio section??   s:? :? s:? )

ive already removed the elbow pipe, so will this make it sound much different from that?
also my other concern was the material the filter is made from as i dont want lots of dust paricles entering my engine

MRMike

IIRC Mark compared the two and said that the Apexi noise was slightly nicer than the inlet pipe noise. Obviously that assumes that this intake has the same sound properties as the Apexi.  

Regards the Filter, your not going to know untill you get it home, at which point you could change it I suppose.  But the replacement filter mushroom, and associated brackets etc are going to be really expensive, and all in all you would probably have been better off getting an Apexi in the first place if your after the sound.

Just noticed, that inlet tube doesn't seem to have anywhere for the MAF to go? Maybe i'm overlooking something, but the Apexi has a definite place to mount the MAF.
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

maybe it's a universal one then?

MRMike

Could well be..but if there's nowhere to mount the MAF your going to be throwing CEL's left right and centre plus it will run awful

Just had a look how much a replacement Apexi air filter would be if you wanted to take a chance on this air intake and it's £65.00, thats assuming the reed is the same, which I doubt.

Then.. Blue 350Z
NOW M3 V8

markiii

3 bhp at most if your very lucky, and I'd bin the filter as you have no way of knowing whether it's any good or not.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Bongo

Shipping's $37.95 to Canada - dread to think how much it would be to here...

Slacey

All the usual warnings above apply, but I'm sure a couple of SC guys have tried this and reckon it's OK. Have a search about over there.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Tags: