Focal 165a's £79.99!

Started by Anonymous, May 21, 2004, 11:48

Anonymous

I have just bought a set of 165a's for £79.99 at Halfords in Norwich.  I have no idea if this offer is available at other H's, but I do know that when I looked in my local H's in Ashford 2 weeks ago they were not stocked but listed at £139 in the catalogue.  In Norwich the shelf tag says were £105 previously.  I am confused but well pleased!

Worth a call to Halfords if you're looking for upgraded speakers!

Darth Paul

Are these the speakers that Buster advocates? If so I might have to get some.

DP

Slacey

They are indeed the very ones... as fitted to my car by the man himself  s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Comer

Anyone know the difference between Focal 165A's and 165CA's? (apart from the extra letter!)

Cheers
Michael

Ex:    Black 2002 MR2 Roadster
Now:  Black 2002 Rav4 Cruiser

Anonymous

B4st4rd ... I got these for £150 about a year ago!  They are quality thought I have to say!

Anonymous

Thanks guys   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

I'm now going to have to go and check my two local Halfrauds to see if I can part with some more cash that I wasn't planning on spending   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

heathstimpson

I'm going down too in the morning to see if I can land a pair   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  ; result  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Well they never had any in our local Halfords  s:( :( s:(  Might try the bigger Derby one tomorrow  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Pride Park in Derby should have the pair I did not collect because I baught some in Birmingham £30 cheaper.That is when they where £129-95 a pair.

Anonymous

Not bothered if they're 130 quid then  s:( :( s:(  I want a bargain  s;) ;) s;)

Might pop in just in case... seeing as it looks like I'm driving around looking at potential new houses (or so I've been told   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  )

Anonymous

Quote from: "Comer"Anyone know the difference between Focal 165A's and 165CA's? (apart from the extra letter!)

Cheers

CA's are the newer modles and sligthly thinner in mounting depth

Anonymous

...more!  My local Halfords still list the 165a's at £129, so I've no idea where Norwich's prices are from.  

Fitted the speakers and I have to say that they are FANTASTIC!   Couldn't believe what nasty horrible cheap speakers the originals were when I took them out.  Changed the HU first (for Phil Dye's old Alpine) and the sound was still pants, but the Focals and Alpine together are very nice indeed.  

2 tips from the speaker install.  100mm flashing tape from Wickes is great, easy to use, cheap (£6.99 for more than you need) and effective.  I've mounted the crossovers Duck taped on top of the sound deadening foam in the door panel.  Looks perfect to me, no need to remove the foam and no risk of them rattling against the door panels.

Still some issues around tidying up the HU installation, I may be posting photos and begging for advice soon!  

Cheers
Andy

Comer

Quote from: "Buster"
Quote from: "Comer"Anyone know the difference between Focal 165A's and 165CA's? (apart from the extra letter!)

Cheers

CA's are the newer modles and sligthly thinner in mounting depth

Are they better in sound.  I'm sure I've seen them cheap but from the US.
Michael

Ex:    Black 2002 MR2 Roadster
Now:  Black 2002 Rav4 Cruiser

Anonymous

I dont think so but the stats on the box say otherwise.

but with thinner magnets the bass will be less

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Andy S"I have just bought a set of 165a's for £79.99 at Halfords in Norwich.  I have no idea if this offer is available at other H's, but I do know that when I looked in my local H's in Ashford 2 weeks ago they were not stocked but listed at £139 in the catalogue.  In Norwich the shelf tag says were £105 previously.  I am confused but well pleased!

I've been to several Halfords and they all say £129. Andy do you know if  your pair was a one off or if that is the price to order them  s:?: :?: s:?:  If so I will order from your branch. Cheers.

Peter Wright

Quote from: "heathstimpson"
Quote from: "Andy S"I have just bought a set of 165a's for £79.99 at Halfords in Norwich.  I have no idea if this offer is available at other H's, but I do know that when I looked in my local H's in Ashford 2 weeks ago they were not stocked but listed at £139 in the catalogue.  In Norwich the shelf tag says were £105 previously.  I am confused but well pleased!

I've been to several Halfords and they all say £129. Andy do you know if  your pair was a one off or if that is the price to order them  s:?: :?: s:?:  If so I will order from your branch. Cheers.

I will go to Halfords in Norwich tomorrow morning and sort this price out
Will someone please post what exactly I am asking for as I do not know anything about audio !!!
If the price is cheap I will ask for names for a group buy and I will purchase them straight away for you to PayPal me
Is this OK ???
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

Anonymous

I'd be in for a group buy if they are 80 quid and you can sort it  s:) :) s:)

I believe you need to ask for the Focal Access 165A Component speakers.

Anonymous

Quote from: "heathstimpson"

I'm not 100% certain.  I was in Norwich visiting a mate on Thursday (Snetterton track evening   s:) :) s:)  and we got onto talking about my plan to buy speakers for my '2, saying  that I wanted the Focal 165a's  He'd been onto Norwich Halfords 2 weeks earlier and noticed they were for £80.  So we took a drive down there Friday morning.  There was a set on display and on the shelf they were labelled as previously £105, now reduced to £80.  As I've said that bears no relation to prices in my local Halfords, but I bought a brand new boxed set for £80.  The guy in there was really helpful, even to the extent that he actually looked in the storeroom for more sets when the computer said he had none!  He was willing to sell the display set at a further discount if he'd otherwise run out.  
I'd suggest giving them a call.  (sorry I don't have the number to hand)

hth
Andy

Anonymous

Quote from: "Hanslow"I'd be in for a group buy if they are 80 quid and you can sort it  s:) :) s:)

I believe you need to ask for the Focal Access 165A Component speakers.
Completely right, you can't get it wrong.

Peter Wright

Focal 165a
They were £79.99 this was a price to get rid of old stock
Now out of stock & these are not being made anymore been replaced by 165ca @ £150
Sorry cant be of more help

Pete   s:? :? s:?
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

Anonymous

the only reason focal are ending the "a" range is that they have been around for 5 yeasr now so they need tonupdate a few things LOL

as i said before not much differeence between the 2 but u will get some deasl out now in big outlets trying to get rid of old stock

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Peter Wright"Focal 165a
They were £79.99 this was a price to get rid of old stock
Now out of stock & these are not being made anymore been replaced by 165ca @ £150
Sorry cant be of more help

Pete   s:? :? s:?
Cheers for trying mate

xdesign

Is it possible to buy those online?

Thanx.

heathstimpson

Quote from: "xdesign"Is it possible to buy those online?

Thanx.
They are not on the Halfords site as I have looked there as well.

Anonymous

There are about 3 or 4 places I have found online that sell them in the UK. Can't post them at the mo as the post that I found them on is on another BBS that I can't access from work  s:( :( s:(  Will post them up though if people are interested.

I've emailed halfords-online to see if they can locate any of the 165As in any of their stores and to let me know. Again, I'll let people know if I find any. My local Halfords didn't have any in stock and the other nearby one had noone on the Audio department when I rang up, but I'm gonna give them a bell when I get home to find out.

Would be a good bank holiday job fitting them if I can find some in time!  s;) ;) s;)

Tags: