Type R

Started by Anonymous, June 12, 2004, 07:55

Anonymous

Can I get a Honda TypeR engine in my Roadster? can I?
Really miffed how a civic typeR wiped me out yesterday. I did get him in traffic when he was looking around but next straight - whoosh and I couldn't make an impression at all. Really not playing the game is it, going that quick in a ruddy civic. DOH!

Slacey

I suppose it could be possible - it's been fitted into an Elise before now. Personally, I would reckon that by the time you have sourced an engine, then done all the R&D and fabrication necessary, a turbo (which would definately give you a Type R whooping edge) would be far cheaper!
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

markiii

tjhe company that does these into Elises is Blink Motorsport.

Adam had a quoye of £8000 to put one into a roadster, Before he decided on the 2zz
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

LeeUK

Drove my boss' Type R yesterday afternoon, he had fitted a K&N Typhoon induction kit to it and wanted my opinion.

What a boring car!  Guess I've been driving the Roadster too long, the Civic didn't reach my expectations.  It's pretty slow all the way until the cams swap, when they do it sounds like someone grinding the gears and then bang off it goes (the fun part).  I don't particularily like the way you have to rag it to get some speed out of it.  Plus the handling isn't as much fun either!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Wonder if he'll let me drive the Ultima GTR when he is finished building it   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  !
[size=100]JELBE[/size]
MR2 Roadster 2zz Track/Racecar Project ......2% complete......

MR2ROC Go-Karting Champion 2005
[/color]

juansolo

The Blink Elises are devastatingly quick pieces of kit.
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

Anonymous

my Corolla with 2zzge feels loads faster than my MR2, and it is not that hard to keep it between 6k and 8.2k really... Its lots of fun...

Yet, MR2 has something that makes you love it too much... where is that TTE kit, I cant stand beemeers passing by anymore!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Anonymous

The more I drive this car with the 2ZZ, the more I love it!  It's like night and day.  I still don't understand why Toyota didn't make it like this stock.  The switchover isn't anything to get your lawyer's panties in a bunch about.   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

markiii

so how does it compate to your old turbo? since your one of thefeqw to be able top make teh comparison? and why the change?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Beat me too  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:   raced him with my wife in car too at the drag strip. then tried again and messed up changing to 2nd (hand slipped). I would like to give it a couple of more runds before giving up though  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"so how does it compate to your old turbo? since your one of thefeqw to be able top make the comparison? and why the change?

Speed wise, about the same.  Power delivery is now more like a S2k.  If I were to do it again, I'd still choose the 2ZZ over a turbo.  I changed for a couple reasons, but the 3 main things are:

1.  Cost - The 2ZZ swap was much more economical assuming that you'll be doing labor yourself.  Not only was it cheaper to start with, but with the turbo my car became a money pit!  I always had that feeling of having to put just "one more thing" into it to complete it.  Injectors, water injection, PFC, and it just got out of control.  It's true that getting more power out of a NA engine is not only harder but expensive.  But the 2ZZ swap starts you off fast enough out of the box! (I suppose if you got really power hungry you could turbocharge the 2ZZ later on  s:shock: :shock: s:shock: )

2.  Reliability - I hated spending so much time troubleshooting and fixing things.  Less complexity = less things that can go wrong.  In fact, there hasn't been a single thing to go wrong since the swap  s:wink: :wink: s:wink: ...knock on wood.

3.  Gas mileage - Gas prices have skyrocketed here!  And it looks like it's only going to get worse!  It's nice to be able to get the same gas mileage as I did when I was stock but still have the same power as I did before when I was turbo'd.   s:D :D s:D

Tags: