Synthetic Engine Oil Data

Started by Anonymous, June 16, 2004, 22:46

Anonymous

In case someone finds it of interest in choosing a synthetic engine oil, I have collected some of the available technical info on various syns and posted the data at my homepage -  m http://www.apbw47.dsl.pipex.com/oils.htm m  Not are all widely available in the UK such as Amsoil and Redline but some are.

There are links in the product titles to where I got the data and I basically collected the most common stats such as kinematic viscocity at 40C and 100C as well as more obvious ones such as pour and flash point. Background on HTHS can be found at http://www.performanceoiltechnology.com/apimotoroiltesting.htm

I am still waiting some data from Shell on the HTHS data for Helix Ultra and Q8 unfortunately didn't supply that specific variable.

I think I need to get out more   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Anonymous

Erm.. so what oil would you recommend based on your findings?  s:? :? s:?  
Good job!

Anonymous

Quoteso what oil would you recommend based on your findings?

Well ... that depends on your pont of view  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Going solely on that data (which are based on agreed standards and so are hopefully not manipulated) and the following points:

- I do a low mileage drive every day so rarely run consistant high temp/operating conditions such as from racing or track days but do VTEC once the engine is warm
- I value overall protection as the highest factor

I was going to use Mobil 1 0W-40 (which I used before on the MR2) but once I saw Havoline's 5W-40 data I am edging towards it (although its kinematic viscosity at 40C is relatively high compared to similar products when I would want it lower as explained on the page).

TBH you will get a multitude of differing opinions/criticisms on oils so you could always leave it to Toyota to do it for you. I would always make sure the filter and oil are changed regularly (Honda recommend every 4.5K in 'extreme conditions' & 9K in normal conditions but Toyota make no exceptions at 10K). I was changing every 5K with the 2 eventually.

Tem

Quote from: "Lusaka"TBH you will get a multitude of differing opinions/criticisms on oils so you could always leave it to Toyota to do it for you.

This raises another question...do you think Toyota chooses the best oil for any given engine, or do they just use whatever some suite negotiated for a good price? Any oil will easily keep the engine in shape for the warranty period anyway...

Since many different Toyota dealers seem to use different oils, I'm guessing the latter myself...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Quotedo you think Toyota chooses the best oil for any given engine, or do they just use whatever some suite negotiated for a good price?

I agree with Tem's thinking and reckon it will be a trade-off between best protection/performance (.i.e. lowest parasitic losses)/cost/what marketing says 'customers' want ( my guess is longest interval between changes)/relationships between companies etc etc.

Once you factor in owner's personal experiences/prejudices and the variations between individual cars and the driving environment in which they operate who can tell which is best   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Thats why I just tried to go back to some standardised and readily available figures to try and inform my decision (short of scientifically testing each oil after it has been in my car.)

Anonymous

Im confsed, do you want the cSt values to be high or low? If high surely you want to buy Redline 15-50 if low then Mobil 1 10-30  s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

Quote from: "vibratingsky"Im confsed, do you want the cSt values to be high or low? If high surely you want to buy Redline 15-50 if low then Mobil 1 10-30  s:? :? s:?

High at high temperatures - retains some viscosity and protection.  
Low at low temperatures - circulates quickly on startup providing fast lubrication and not too much drag.

Anonymous

I'll be using the Shell Helix Ultra then, similar in character to the performance 0w-40's but without sacrificing too much viscosity at low temperatures  s:D :D s:D  
This sound right  s:? :? s:?

markiii

it's whats going in mine next time.

now try finding somewhere that has it  s:-( :-( s:-(
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Shell service stations, usually in small 1l bottles  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

There might be a better supplied store, i havent really looked about much  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Slacey

I'm sure if you asked, they would order in the larger containers for you.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Tags: