Gear Changes

Started by Anonymous, July 15, 2004, 12:14

Anonymous

Hi all

I bought my 2001 mr2 a month ago and although im generally very very very happy with it there is one thing thats slightly concerning me.
When i change gear it doesn't seem to simply slip easily from one gear to another the way i've experienced with my other cars. is this a charactistic of the MR2 or have i got a problem somewhere??

Slacey

The 'box on all the 2's I've driven have been great - probably the best way to suss it out is to drive another one yourself, to compare. Your local dealer should be able to help there.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

mine jus doesn't seem to wanna go down a gear when i wanna put the rev's up to really get it going. its ok sorta normal driving miss daisy style but when i wanna push it that bit more it jus doesn't wanna get in gear, basically its just hard work

Tem

Quote from: "baz41182"When i change gear it doesn't seem to simply slip easily from one gear to another the way i've experienced with my other cars. is this a charactistic of the MR2 or have i got a problem somewhere??

It is stiffer than in most cars, so if you changed from "familycar" to the '2, it might be just normal.

Do what Slacey said and try another one  s;) ;) s;)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Tem

Quote from: "baz41182"mine jus doesn't seem to wanna go down a gear when i wanna put the rev's up to really get it going. its ok sorta normal driving miss daisy style but when i wanna push it that bit more it jus doesn't wanna get in gear, basically its just hard work

Oh you meant that...put Redline in the box then  s;) ;) s;)

Anonymous

ay whats redline???
sorry im a bit new to all this and im only 21 so haven't got ur guys expereince.
Well i had a Fiesta Si and a renault clio sport before my mr2 and both of them the gear change was so smooth, this mr2 jus seems a quite a bit more hard work to get it to comply with what u want it to dear gear change wise

SteveJ

This sounds more like the clutch is dragging during gear changes - for a start make sure that you have completely floored the clutch pedal before trying to change gear. Also if there is any air in the clutch system (it's a hydraulic clutch) then this may cause problems when trying to dis-engage the clutch quickly during 'spirited' driving.

Anonymous

yeh i have been fully florrin the clutch but the problem was still there, do u think if i take it into my local dealer they will have a quick look at it? and how much is that likely to cost me? is that the sorta thing they would do durin a service or is it something extra?

Anonymous

If there is another 2 owner in your area, you could let them try it out and see what they think?

MRMike

I don't know of any 2 that's 'that' difficult to engage the gears.  How old is your 2? I presume its a manual..could the Syncromesh be on the way out??

You mention 'redline' I know first is quite difficult to engage on mine if it s a really tight corner and i'm changing down from high speed. Though if I heel and toe I don't find there's much of a problem...

Again like Sean said take it to you local garage, I wouldn't have thought it would have cost a lot if anything to just haev a cursory glance at it..
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

2nd gear is a right PITA on mine its quite smooth during normal driving, but take the revs upto 6-7k in 1st and change up and its stiff as hell!   s:x :x s:x

Tem

Quote from: "baz41182"ay whats redline???

m http://www.redlineoil.com/ m

IIRC, MT-90 is the correct stuff for '2. It does make wonders, especially in high rev changes. I know I won't ever go back to normal fluids...

Sorry, no idea where to get that in UK, but I'm sure someone else will let you know  s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

im sure halfords do an equivalent?

markiii

demon tweeks waswhere I ordered mine.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

So do u guys think its a problem with my clutch? or do u think a simple oil'in will do it. and if its the later how do i go about oiling it and what exactly do i oil?? i think i might jus take it down my trusty toyota garage on saturday

Tem

Quote from: "baz41182"So do u guys think its a problem with my clutch? or do u think a simple oil'in will do it. and if its the later how do i go about oiling it and what exactly do i oil?? i think i might jus take it down my trusty toyota garage on saturday

Here's a good how-to:
 m http://www.spydermagazine.com/2002/Nov/ ... ansoil.htm m

markiii

it's not so much giving it an oil as changing teh gearbox oil.

This is much teh same as changing the engine oil.

having said which it's also possible that you need to regrease the shifter ball,

see hear for details  m http://www.mr2roc.org/content/articles/ ... ifter2.php m

this can dry out aND BECOME GUNCKY.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

kanujunkie

and here was me thinking Redline was when you were just having fun  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

GSB

Wherabouts in essex are you? I'll be floating around there tomorrow if you want a second opinion?
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Im in romford

Tags: