Best/most durable colour for a new 2

Started by Anonymous, September 14, 2004, 22:00

Anonymous

I'm currently about to buy a new MR2 but don't seem to be able to decide on the best colour. Obviously I want the colour to do the car justice but I don't want to end up with paint work that chips, marks or fades easily/quickly. At the moment my short list is silver or red but would value your comments and advice before I buy.   s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

Well, silver's definately the fastest colour...   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

I can only speak from experience as a silver owner, but the little chips on my car (which you're bound to get however you decide to drive the '2) are pretty much un-noticable unless you decide to get really close and personal, and know where to look.

I also had the 'problem' over deciding whether to go for silver or red when I got mine last year. I had to go with silver as that's what the WTB wanted in the end, but I'm glad I did. IMHO the red, whilst looking absolutely fabulous in the showroom, looks a bit too 'lurid' under the bright sunshine. Looks better when polished to perfection though, mind.

Having said all that, if I were to buy one now I'd go for the blue or sable. They're both beautiful colours.

kanujunkie

totally agree, having owned a blue lagoon and silver, silver is the best and looks gr8 with the red interior, just wished i'd gone for the leather option on mine
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

heathstimpson

I have to agree too as Silver looks very nice and hides the chips best. I also love the blue but having had several cars in this colour can confirm that it chips more than any other colour and shows them up badly. Sable is also a good one as I've had a similar grey and it hides dirt well. Silver is the best though; and the fastest  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

zud

Blue is clearly the fastest and nicest colour.  But it shows the chips.  From experience with other cars, I'd expect silver to hide chips (and dirt) the best.
Blue SMT with leather, A/C and TTE Twin.

Anonymous

Having had EVO Magazine just choose my red car for their MR2 feature I think it's beyond doubt that red is infact the best colour.   s;) ;) s;)   Don't be a sheep and follow the silver posse, come over to the cool side.   s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

Silver is a great colour but if I was buying a new one I'd have to go for the sable.  See Darth Paul's beautiful mota.

Anonymous

I'm with Andy100.
Red is the best colour.
The reason is quite simple you never see a silver Ferrari.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Although I have a chip on my bonnet you can see from 12 metres  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

Darth Paul

Without trying to 'hard sell' the colour because I have it, Sable is a very good colour at hiding dirt and chips. I used to have black (which whilst absolutely beautiful when clean, shows everything really easily) and the pearl grey is a revelation.

My car still looks clean, and it was cleaned two weeks ago and has been rained on! Sure, the front is covered in bugs, but at a casual glance it looks clean. Stone chips are pretty well hidden too. And the grey isn't just metallic – it's pearl (called Phantom Grey Pearl in the US). It shifts colour with the light. From a warm sandy grey (there's sandy coloured paint in the engine bay which never received the top coat) to grey to silver. Stunning. I saw one on the motorway yesterday and the sun was really bouncing off it. This was only the fourth Sable I've seen on the road, so it's rare too. If you like silver, but want something a little different, then consider Sable.

Just one problem though – most Sables coming into the country at the moment are Roadster Reds (red roof), so if it's a black roof you're wanting then there's a bit of a wait. But in the end the black roofed Sable will probably be more exclusive.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Silver is the colour of choice for the TT/SLK/Boxter brigade.

Be different, go for a Ducati colour, Red or Yellow

heathstimpson

Quote from: "roadsterman99"The reason is quite simple you never see a silver Ferrari.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Yes you do; my mate has one and it looks reaaaaaally good  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Quote from: "heathstimpson"
Quote from: "roadsterman99"The reason is quite simple you never see a silver Ferrari.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Yes you do; my mate has one and it looks reaaaaaally good  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

The Silver 360 I saw in Reims was stunning!  

Sable's best for a 2 though IMO.  Agree with all that DP says about it, looks beautiful when clean and not too bad when dirty, which mine usually is.  Stone chips are not all that obvious because the primer is dark grey.  

hth and in the end the colour really isn't that important, just drive the thing!

roger

From one sable owner to another, I agree the colour is superb.

I bought mine 3 months ago - had to wait 10 days, 3 of which were down to me  s:!: :!: s:!:  Maybe I was just lucky, but I did buy bog standard - or is the technical term "stock"

I am not too sure how "rare" the colour is - including mine I have seen 3 in this little hick town in the country.

By the way I bought mine through Autobytel on the internet - they are the web site for Inchcape who are a Toyota main dealer. Standard discount is about 9%. If I wanted a stock item at a dealer I reckon I might have squeezed a better discount by haggling, I think, but all I saw had A/C, hardtop etc etc - which put the price up anyway. The only downside is you have to get the car from either Guildford or Nottingham.

No haggling on price, but at least the website gives you the final price, to use if you want to beat a dealer up  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

<CHANGE OF THREAD>

Just how do you put a section of a previous post into yours as a Quote  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  A bit thick around here.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

I've got to say if i had bought a new car it would have been sable but it wasn't available in 2001.

To post a quote (I only worked this out myself this morning) go to the post you want to include and click on where it says "Quote" in the top right corner.

roger

Quote from: "stevewarbs"To post a quote (I only worked this out myself this morning) go to the post you want to include and click on where it says "Quote" in the top right corner.

It works!!!!!!  Thank you

roger
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

My point nearly exactly "one"   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Quote from: "roadsterman99"

My point nearly exactly "one"   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

And the French one I saw, or doesn't that count?    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   Sorry Slacey...that I parked and photographed my '2 next to...  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Slacey

<MOD> On topic please... </MOD>
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Quote from: "Darth Paul"My car still looks clean, and it was cleaned two weeks ago and has been rained on! Sure, the front is covered in bugs, but at a casual glance it looks clean.

If you give it a good wash you will find it is actually silver underneath    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:     & it will speed up a bit     s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

I have 2 comments about colour choice.

1) Some colours just don't suit some cars. Apart from the green, which i am just not keen on (sorry green owners), I think the 2 suits any of the available colours well.

2) At the end of the day you have to live with it for many years, so see as many colours in real life as you can so you can pick the one that suits you. I nearly bought the yellow but just couldn't see myself enjoying the colour 3 years later. That's why i opted for the Silver.

MRMike

I love my ilver car, looks great with the red lights and red interior, plus makes the lights at the front look smaller, which in my eyes is a bonus.  If I was going to choose a second colour would have to be black or red.  Really like the red in the flesh, especially with a contrasting silver hard top!
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

The "nearly exactly" was my agreement that all cars can be bought in whatever colour you would like "he who pays the pipe names the tune"

The 2 comes in a range of colours that enhance it's appearance my preference is red, others silver, blue, sable (my 2nd choice), black etc.

For an unbiaised opinion I'd pick either sable or silver to hide the chips we all get.
When I bought mine all I wanted was red. Even though I keep being told it's the slowest  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

I think grey/silver is nice, however it's not the colour I would go for because most cars now are grey too (after all it's the "sensible practical colour"). The other reason that puts me off silver is that it highlights all the darker plastic elements of the car and makes it look cheap.

My favourite colour for the '2 is black (but it's a bitch of a colour to keep clean). Still that's the one I would go for now.

I've never been a fan of Toyota's reds (i find them too cheap and pale or orange looking). The Honda red (same as Ferrari's red) on the other hand is beautiful - it's a much deeper richer red (and it doesn't fade in the sun).

My '2 is dark blue, (almost as popular as grey) but almost as bad as black for maintenance (dust, stone chips, etc.)

Anonymous

flame suit on, but what about white?

Theres a picutre of one on spyderchat in white and i think it looks really good.

Its unique nowadays without being gawdy or tacky, i think it shows off the car and it'll hide chips much better (if the primer is also white).

MRMike

Quote from: "phat"The other reason that puts me off silver is that it highlights all the darker plastic elements of the car and makes it look cheap.

Wow thats the EXACT reason i chose Silver!, thought it showed off the vent accents more! Horses for courses they say!
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

heathstimpson

Quote from: "MRMike"
Quote from: "phat"The other reason that puts me off silver is that it highlights all the darker plastic elements of the car and makes it look cheap.

Wow thats the EXACT reason i chose Silver!, thought it showed off the vent accents more! Horses for courses they say!
Same here  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Tags: