Quick question on 17" tyre sizes

Started by LeeUK, October 14, 2004, 18:39

LeeUK

Am looking for some 17" rims and have come across some 17x7 wheels.  Is it safe to fit 205's on the front and 215 on the rear?  I hope this won't upset the handling to much.

These wheels don't come in 17x8 size unfortunately   s:( :( s:(  

My wheelie good choice of wheel:        s:D :D s:D  

[size=100]JELBE[/size]
MR2 Roadster 2zz Track/Racecar Project ......2% complete......

MR2ROC Go-Karting Champion 2005
[/color]

markiii

can you? yes.

would I? no.

better would be 225/35 on the rear I wouldn't go from a 30mm stagger to a 10mm. plus it keeps your rolling radius down.

the most important thing you must consider though is offset of teh wheel.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Nice choice of wheels there matey   :-) :-) :-)

LeeUK

Thanks Mark, will that size tyre fit on a 17x7?  I'm not to good with tyre sizes etc so you'll have to excuse my ignorance!

You choice would be:

17x7 with 205/35 front

17x7 with 225/35 rear

What offset?
[size=100]JELBE[/size]

[/color]

markiii

wheels are fine, if you have the correct offset.

go for 205/40/17 up front and 235/35/17 at the rear.

I wouldn't advise going bigger than 225 with any profile on a 7"rim

on a side note budget for good tyres, some people have a tendancy to cut corners once they see how expensice tyres in those sizes can be. But it's not worth it in the long run.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

LeeUK

Cheers Perry, they should go well with the bodykit I have planned   s:D :D s:D
[size=100]JELBE[/size]

[/color]

LeeUK

Ok thats great, thanks.

I'm hoping to fit some Toyo's.  I'll assume the wheel shop (Xtreme) in Harlow will fit the correct offset.

With a bit of luck they'll fit the wheel and tyre package and lower my car on eibachs for under a grand!   s:) :) s:)
[size=100]JELBE[/size]

[/color]

LeeUK

Ok just had a look in Demon tweeks,  I don't think anyone makes a 225/35/17.   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

What have other people done in the past?   s:? :? s:?
[size=100]JELBE[/size]

[/color]

Anonymous

goodyear and falken are the only 2 makes that i know off that make 225/35's in 17".
i have the falkens on mine but they are around £80 a tyre and the goodyears are around £120.
best to shop around.

markiii

F1 GSD2 come in that size, I beleive, Falkens do, and so do S03

ref offset, don't assume, theres what will fit, and theres what is a good idea. not all wheels come in suitable offset.

you want 45mm in an ideal world, I've used 42mm, and 40mm would probably be ok.

38mm is tegh most common and I wouldn't use them myself.

also have you checked that they come in a suitable PCD?

LeeUK

yep PCD 100   s:D :D s:D
[size=100]JELBE[/size]

[/color]

LeeUK

With a 45 off-set they won't stick out like slacey's old wheels will they?   s:? :? s:?   Can't remember what he had but they looked a wee bit odd!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=100]JELBE[/size]

[/color]

markiii

yep thats my point, Seans were 38mm IRC, they also rubbed and would not have worked witjh lowering springs.

PCD 100, but is it 4x100?

and are they hubcentric?

Anonymous

IIRC they are 45mm offset

LeeUK

Yes they are 4x100, what is hubcentric?
[size=100]JELBE[/size]

[/color]

markiii

it means that the wheel is aligned to be central on teh hub by the bit in teh middle of the bolts hub-centric.

the other alternative is lug-centric where it's actually the wheel bolts that are responsible for aligning the wheel.

you can't mix teh 2, at least not without teh appropriate rings.

LeeUK

Ah ha!  Hubcentric, but I will check.  Blimey you know your wheelie intelligent knowing all this stuff.....  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
[size=100]JELBE[/size]

[/color]

Anonymous

I have 16 inch wheels 16x6.5 with 195/45/16 all the way around!  Not sure of offset, just bought spacers to fit MR2 and they went on like a glove! never had any problems with handling (in the last year) but thinking of having 205/45/16 at the back when it is time to change.

What you reckon??

saying that, i thought the alignment was out as the car sometimes drifts, had it checked and everything is spot on  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  !!

also have a few pics but not sure how to post them!

LeeUK

To post pics you need a "host", basically go to http://www.spydermagazine.com

Click file library and upload the picture files.

Then make a note of the url to view the pictures which to help you out is:

m http://www.SpyderMagazine.com/files/you ... e_here.xxx m  

Obviously put your file name in the right spot as detailed and where it says "xxx" you need to add the file type eg. jpg, gif or bmp.

Then when you come to post all you do it click on the //button%20then%20type%20your%20spydermagazine%20path%20with%20the%20filename%20and%20type%20as%20shown%20above%20and%20then%20click%20on%20the button to close the path.

Before you submit the post click the preview button just to check the picture comes out!

Simple   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Hope this helps

Lee
[size=100]JELBE[/size]

[/color]

LeeUK

Ok I went to Xtreme and R-tec today wheel hunting with my mate Andy and found out that the wheel I originally chose doesn't quite go that well!

Here's a few pics of the wheels I've looked at today, some of the pics show 18's, please do not be alarmed!  I'm getting 17's, it's just that they had some styles in 18's only, at the time I visited to show me!

My original choice

My second choice which I still like somewhat:

I really like these:

MY FINAL CHOICE...I'm going to get them in silver finish to keep the car looking clean:

They have quoted me £701 for the wheel and tyre package, I'll get the bugger lowered at the same time just to stop everyone laughing at my SUV MR2!   s:P :P s:P  

What's everyones views on my choice/taste of wheel?  oh, the wheels are reasonably light.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

[size=100]JELBE[/size]

[/color]

Anonymous

i like the same ones as you, the 4th picture.
 i think they go well with the red car.

markiii

what are the weights?

ref black wheels, I suggest you actually see them on teh car.

I mocked soem up and liked it, in the real world I don;'t like so am going back to silver.

ref the last lot are you sure they do your offset? they look to deep dished to me.

LeeUK

The last wheels are exactly the same as the silver grey wheels.  They come in a 42 offset.  They're not deep dish, just slightly set back like my original choice (about 15mm).  I think the silver and grey on a red car makes too many colours, on a silver car they'd look great.  Therefore the all silver wheels are going on mine
[size=100]JELBE[/size]

[/color]

Anonymous

cheers Lee!

MRMike

Quote from: "markiii"what are the weights?

I mocked soem up and liked it, in the real world I don;'t like so am going back to silver.

Really? I thought they looked awesome at JAE! esp on yellow!

Lee:  Personally out of those wheels you've put up I'd go with the first ones, they look much better quailty than the others, though they are probably pretty heavy.

Also I think the last style of wheel would actually look much better in black personally, I think the 2 is too small a car to have lots of silver in its arches, but maybe thats because the ones in the pic are 18". Plus black still looks good when they're caked in brake dust. Just my two cents
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Tags: