MR2 Vs Celica T Sport

Started by Anonymous, December 11, 2004, 10:17

Anonymous

I got into a bit of a dual with a Celica on Friday. It was on a straight over quite a short distance and I had my foot to the floor to keep up. I can't tell if he was hoofing it or not, but if he was pulling away from a junction 'as normal' the T Sport is bloody quick!

Anonymous

I should have also said that from behind in the MR2 the Celica looked a if half the rear bumber was missing. I could see struts the lot, I had to check that it was a Celica and not a tractor! Fast tractor though  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Slacey

Yes, but don't forget that although heavier than us, the T-Sport has an extra 50bhp  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

How do you know it was a T-Sport?

If I remember I was have a play with ekona in his Silver 2 just after we got our standard celica (same engine as you!).  If I recal, ekona comments where "I thought I would be all over the Celica, and was quite surprised!.

As with all these "races" you never know if someone is pushing it or not, or how they can handle on corners.  The Celica is no way as nible on bends, but is certainly not a slow coach.  In the same way I held of a scooby in the 2 for a long while due to late braking and good cornering...then he left me for dead on a straight.

I had a race with a Mr T salesman who was driving a T-Sport, I was remarkably faster than he was low down, but apon hitting a dual carriageway, he eat me alive.  The 1zz apparently has a lot more low down power (or touque whatever), but the 2zz kills it at 6500 revs.

mrsmr2

Sounds about right.  I tried to outdrag a standard Celica up hill on a dual carriageway.  This was a proper >6.5k revs in third and foot to floor in fourth.  Initially I was only slightly faster, then the Celica either changed up early or ran out of revs and I nipped ahead.

I asked a work colleague who owns a Celica to see if they rev to the same 7k as the MR2 to see if that was the reason.  Alternatively, it could be gearing.  Or, they might be almost as fast as the MR2.

I would expect to get humbled by the T-Sport in a similar situation.

Regards

Jason
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

Anonymous

Not sure how the 2 is geared compared to the 1zz Celica, probably similar?.. I just know that the 1zz is supposed to be pokier than the 2zz through up to 6k.  However, isnt the 2zz a VVTIL or something.  I think it actually has "lift" at 6500 revs?

Anonymous

Quote from: "cstevens"If I remember I was have a play with ekona in his Silver 2 just after we got our standard celica (same engine as you!).  If I recal, ekona comments where "I thought I would be all over the Celica, and was quite surprised!

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

That quote's going to haunt me for years, isn't it?!

Anonymous

Quote from: "cstevens"However, isnt the 2zz a VVTIL or something.  I think it actually has "lift" at 6500 revs?

yes, the 2zz-ge motor has vvtl-i......the L is for "Lift" i.e. a second cam profile that increases valve-lift, allowing more air into (and out of) the combustion chamber ..........

kev

Anonymous

Quote from: "cstevens"Not sure how the 2 is geared compared to the 1zz Celica, probably similar?.. I just know that the 1zz is supposed to be pokier than the 2zz through up to 6k.  However, isnt the 2zz a VVTIL or something.  I think it actually has "lift" at 6500 revs?

If they were both UK cars they would both have the same gearbox.  I have lost twice to 140 Celicas, you'll be surprised just how quick they are.

Anonymous

Brakes are crap though  s:) :) s:)

I would have thought equal match, apart from the weight, although saying that I thought the Celica was one of the lighest in its class.  Besides no soft top - still miss the 2 everytime I see one

Tem

...actually the 1ZZ and 2ZZ are more or less equal till the lift engages on 2ZZ...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

They are the same to ~57ish and then the VVTLi kicks in and the Celica starts to move away.

I know because my best mate works for MR-T and he drives it whenever he can and we often go for a play.

Having driven it i LOVED it, not too much understeer either.

Only thing is that its almost as expensive as a WRX   s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

Quote from: "bigun007"Only thing is that its almost as expensive as a WRX   s:? :? s:?

Yeah, but looks nicer!

Slacey

I had a little race with a Corolla T-Sport right by the factory in Burton (it had Toyota rather than dealer marked plates so was probably a Toyota-owned car), and to be quite honest he made mincemeat out of me accelerating along the A38  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Liz

Quote from: "Slacey"I had a little race with a Corolla T-Sport right by the factory in Burton (it had Toyota rather than dealer marked plates so was probably a Toyota-owned car), and to be quite honest he made mincemeat out of me accelerating along the A38  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Not for long, hope you meet him again after you have the Turbo fitted   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

as someone who owned both simultaneously for 3 years, although the MR2 is now sadly sold*, I would say that the Celica 190 is obviously faster in a straight line.....and around corners too, unless the MR2 is driver by a very good driver used to ME configuration.  ie The Celica is much easier to drive faster.  They really are a great drivers car.

*replacement arrives March: ME with 280bhp!

Tags: