2ZZ-GE rpm limit in different models

Started by Matasb, July 25, 2017, 11:50

Matasb

Hi fellas,

I found a lot of information about 2ZZ-GE engines. However, I didn't find a source that could provide the rpm limit (to a fuel-cut) of this engine in various Toyota (Lotus, too) models.
Maybe someone here knows, what are the rpm limit for following cars?
Toyota Celica GTS (USDM)
Toyota Celica 190 UK-spec
Toyota Corolla T-Sport prefacelift
Toyota Corolla T-Sport facelift

Maybe there is some sort of "holy bible of 2ZZ" somewhere?  s:D :D s:D

alancsalt

"Toyota commissioned Yamaha to design the 2ZZ-GE, based on Toyota's ZZ block, for high-RPM operation and producing a power peak near the top of the RPM range. The high-output cam profile is not activated until approximately 6,200 rpm, (lift set-points are between 6,000-6,700 rpm depending on the vehicle) and will not engage until the engine has reached at least 60° Celsius (140° Fahrenheit.) The Toyota PCM electronically limits RPM to about 8200 RPM via fuel and/or spark cut. The "lift" engagement and the engine redline vary by application. Lotus 2ZZ-GEs are rev limited to 8500 RPM, for example, whereas Celicas were rev limited to 7900 to 8200 RPM in North America, depending on the model year. The first Japanese versions were rev limited to 8600 rpm with a peak of 190 hp. Consequently, it is impossible to "over-rev" the engine with the throttle alone; a downshift from a higher gear must be involved. A typical "over-rev" can damage the oil pump, commonly disintegrating the lobe ring, resulting in damage similar to the picture at right. The oil pump is the Achilles heel of the 2ZZ, though incidents are rare and usually occur due to fault of the driver. Even the briefest period of oil starvation is usually fatal to this engine design."

m https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_ZZ_engine#2ZZ-GE m

My understanding is that the light valves are a limitation, and if installing higher peak power cams you need upgraded valves and valve springs as well.
Toyota MR2 Spyder, November 2002, Engineer approved 2001 Celica 2ZZ motor and C60 trans, MWR Carbon lined synchro set, SMT to Manual conversion, PPE headers,Fabricated Cat/Exhaust, Power FC ECU

shnazzle

When I researched it, I came to the conclusion that the 2001 ECU was the higher rpm limit of the celicas (8200). Hence I have one and keeping it,just in case

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
...neutiquam erro.

alancsalt

Same. Initially I used an immobiliser free JDM ECU (Only drawback was the Japanese 185kph speed limiter, which needs a "Defense Cut" device to negate if yr bothered), but then you don't really see much gain from mods, so I shelled out for a PowerFC, kinda expensive, but can tune properly and set yr own RPM limit and all. I didn't explore it, but there may be "piggyback" ECU systems for less?
Toyota MR2 Spyder, November 2002, Engineer approved 2001 Celica 2ZZ motor and C60 trans, MWR Carbon lined synchro set, SMT to Manual conversion, PPE headers,Fabricated Cat/Exhaust, Power FC ECU

keljon

i thought the early celica activated lift at 6200 and redlined at 8400
mr2 2zz with T-Sport gearbox and 8200rpm Celica ECU, DIY lightweight exhaust, K&N Typhoon induction, MiesterR coilovers, Rear Strut Brace, Underbody brace, EBC Yellow stuff and braided hoses all round, Rota slipstream 16x7 6kg a corner, Lightweight optima battery, spare wheel, tools, radio & aerial removal. Wifi ODB2 reader with dash command app for iPhone

alancsalt

There are more than a few part numbers for early ECUs, so I'd expect that even in among the earlies there'd be variations. My old JDM ECU (89666-20060) was 6000 and 8200.

In USA they say that for 8400 you need:
2000 or 2001 ECM (89666-20081, 89666-20080, or 89666-20082)
2000 or 2001 Knock Sensor 89615-12090
2000 or 2001 Knock sensor connector (single wire)

Their ECUs have different pollution controls, but there could easily be equivalent part number Euro ECUs for 8400 rpm. They'd be 2000/2001 anyway. Toyota progressively lowered it over the years...

rich_p

My 05 T sport Celica is as follows:
Lift active 6200
Rev limit/bounce 8200
Change gear as damn close to 8199 as you can get!

I'd actually not heard of anything oem going over 8200, interesting to know the US was a little different.

There's been guys on CCUK over the years with aftermarket ECU's mapped to higher rpm but generally hitting lift any earlier didn't gain them much.

Tags: