Tyre pressures

Started by dan944, September 15, 2018, 10:37

dan944

Just put some new shoes on the rear. My favoured Yokohama AD08r.

When I checked the old ones that had been removed the tyres were wearing heavily down the centre.

I usually run stock tyre pressures but will be lowering the rear to 30.

Now what about the fronts? I usually run 26 but thinking of dropping it to 24? This is my first set of Yokohama's on the front so haven't got to see wear pattern yet.

Sizes
205/50/15 fronts
225/45/16 rear.
"I swear mum I did try and sell the roadster"

Silver mr2 2003 FL. Custom Turbo build 209whp. Lots of handling mods.

Honda CR-V The Work Horse

Ardent

Could it be related to your non stock sizes.

I am running stock sizes and pressures and wear is even.

dan944

Quote from: Ardent on September 15, 2018, 11:31
Could it be related to your non stock sizes.

I am running stock sizes and pressures and wear is even.

It could well be. Personally I think I need the extra width. And at £240 a pair I'm not swapping them out now haha.

I have read somewhere that the ad08rs tend to run better at lower pressures. Can't find it though.

mikek

225 on the rear of mine @32
195 on the front 26

Same tyres as yours
2zz by Rogue. Se7en cams. BMC CDA. Competion clutches lightened flywheel, Megillian Racing Exhaust. TRD sportivo suspension and ARB\'s. TRD braces. TRD quick shift. TRD dash kit, Matts brace. Getting there but not sure when it will stop!

dan944

Quote from: mikek on September 15, 2018, 14:29
225 on the rear of mine @32
195 on the front 26

Same tyres as yours
How's your tread wear. I should have taken a picture really but there was about a 1mm difference from centre to shoulder.

Joesson

@dan944 - Rather than wait for the tyre itself to wear and show the contact area perhaps painting a stripe across the width of the tyre with a thin coat of water based paint would do the job. The paint would wear quicker than  the tyre and indicate high/ low or just right pressure.
Just another thought for today.

dan944

Quote from: Joesson on September 15, 2018, 15:53
@dan944 - Rather than wait for the tyre itself to wear and show the contact area perhaps painting a stripe across the width of the tyre with a thin coat of water based paint would do the job. The paint would wear quicker than  the tyre and indicate high/ low or just right pressure.
Just another thought for today.
That sir...is absolute genius.

We do the same for precision engineering but somehow didn't transfer that across to tyres.

Wonderful!!

Joesson

It's a very long time since I used " Engineer's Blue" but I think my suggestion is a similar principle. "Blue", of course, would be difficult to see against a black tyre.

dan944

Quote from: Joesson on September 15, 2018, 18:34
It's a very long time since I used " Engineer's Blue" but I think my suggestion is a similar principle. "Blue", of course, would be difficult to see against a black tyre.
Ahh same principle to me lol

Tags: