Engine Bay Mesh 'Guide' Template

Started by Anonymous, August 6, 2003, 18:55

Anonymous

Ok, now the measurements are approx, but are more likely to be a bit too long rather than too short so you should be ok.

This is the rough shape the mesh would have to be to fit the passenger side engine bay vent.

The right hand side will slot in the centre section under your drip tray (where the catch to close the cover is) and the left hand side will be fixed using the rubber strip and some sticky tape stuff.

On the top right, you will need to nick the mesh in by about 1cm and then gently curve it round (you will see where when you lay the mesh up against your car)... the top of the mesh will need to be poked under the top section...

Here are some random photos that people took of the bay.

Watch this plastic screw, it may snap like mine!

After all the bolts are removed, this is what will happen - make sure you have someone on hand:

The bay before the mesh:

Top view of the mesh:

YUM YUM:

I will do a proper installation guide in a PDF when i get a chance, but for now i hope this helps.

Slacey

s:D :D s:D  Thanks Kris!   s:D :D s:D  
Decided to do it now...   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Slacey

Finally, only four months after I badgered you to put this together Kris, I installed some mesh in the engine bay  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

I'll post a pic later, providing AnnMarie hasn't written the car off  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Anonymous

You havent let her take it to tescos have you?  It WILL end in tears!

MRMike

Kris, in one of the pictures it looks as though the drip plate has been re-installed after the mesh..have you done this? I've been thinking of taking my drip plate off for a while to aid cooling..just wondering if and why you put the drip plate back on.

Cheers,

Mike
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Slacey

Quote from: "Mikeharper2"Kris, in one of the pictures it looks as though the drip plate has been re-installed after the mesh..have you done this? I've been thinking of taking my drip plate off for a while to aid cooling..just wondering if and why you put the drip plate back on.
I fitted the mesh yesterday, and decided to leave the drip dray off. But today, as I have been out and about, I noticed the car takes even longer than usual to warm up, which leaves me without heaters for ages!
So, I have literally just put it back on. I reckon I will leave it there through the winter, and remove it when the weather warms up again, it only takes two minutes.

Quote from: "cstevens"You havent let her take it to tescos have you? It WILL end in tears!
No (although we have been to Tesco's!), I am letting her drive it to her friends house about a mile away, and yes, I will be with her  s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Mikeharper2"Kris, in one of the pictures it looks as though the drip plate has been re-installed after the mesh..have you done this? I've been thinking of taking my drip plate off for a while to aid cooling..just wondering if and why you put the drip plate back on.

Cheers,

Mike

Yup, i put the tray back on... im one of those people that like to keep the engine bay spotless (as some of the other members will tell you!  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  ) so i left it on to keep it clean (as i park under trees and didnt want sap all over the engine).

MRMike

Cheers guys!  Good point about the cold weather hadn't even thought about that! I think i'll leave mine until the weather improves!.  I like my engine bay to be clean as well but it seems to get filthy anyways as with the TTE they remove the shield under the engine so water gets thrown up and makes it filthy and as i have no over hanging trees i'm not too fussed.  I can remember reading on SC that a few members swore that removing the drip tray masively improved reliability, i know that the weather over there probably highlighted any probs but anything that improves the longevity has to be good?  Incidentally have you noticed any problems with water seeping in when you had the plate removed Sean? especially with regards to what i presume is an exposed lambar probe?

Cheers,

Mike
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
NOW M3 V8

Slacey

Quote from: "Mikeharper2"...as with the TTE they remove the shield under the engine so water gets thrown up and makes it filthy
Mine wasn't removed, the tech cut it so the second exhaust would fit through OK.

Quote from: "Mikeharper2"Incidentally have you noticed any problems with water seeping in when you had the plate removed Sean? especially with regards to what i presume is an exposed lambar probe?
I'm not sure if you mean the underside tray (which as I said above wasn't removed) or the drip tray, which without there was a lot of water inside the engine bay this morning.

Slacey

At last, the pic...

Anonymous

looks alright mate!   s:D :D s:D

MRMike

Cheers for the reply Sean, yeah i meant the drip tray..if it does let in a lot of water then i'm really adverse to removing it! Your mesh looks great! where did you guys get the mesh from incidentally?

Then.. Blue 350Z
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

Guys,

I'm definitely taken by Kris's pics of the engine bay mesh but have recently fitted the Chromdesign kits to mine.  Do you reckon it might look a bit OTT if I do the bay too  s:?: :?: s:?:  

Better still - is there anybody here who has done the whole lot and could post a pic    s:) :) s:)    s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Quote from: "R2MUL"I'm definitely taken by Kris's pics of the engine bay mesh but have recently fitted the Chromdesign kits to mine.  Do you reckon it might look a bit OTT if I do the bay too  s:?: :?: s:?:  

Thanks!   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

And 'no'. i dont think it will look OTT at all... go on... do it! (then again, you could not and we could keep it as a 'select' group mod!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  Dont want it to end up like a clear deflector or style bars or something!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  )

Comer

Quote from: "R2MUL"Guys,

I'm definitely taken by Kris's pics of the engine bay mesh but have recently fitted the Chromdesign kits to mine.  Do you reckon it might look a bit OTT if I do the bay too  s:?: :?: s:?:  

No I think it will look fine.  I've got the Chromdesign kit and will fit some mesh in the engine bay in the new year.  People in cars behind you will still only see the Chromdesign grills.

You could always debadge the rear if you think there is too much chrome?
Michael

Ex:    Black 2002 MR2 Roadster
Now:  Black 2002 Rav4 Cruiser

Anonymous

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"then again, you could not and we could keep it as a 'select' group mod!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  Dont want it to end up like a clear deflector or style bars or something!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  )

LMAO - well they say that imitation is the highest form of flattery Kris  s:!: :!: s:!:  

I think I'll give it a whirl - worst case scenario is that it has to come off again.  Mind if I ask where you got the mesh from?

Ray

Anonymous

I got mine from a local motor centre store 'like' halfords (but a mate done me a deal for me and cstevens)... just pull your trousers down to your knees, put on a hilfiger hat and say you have a 'festa or something and they will point you in the right direction of the bling bling boy racer section....   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Slacey

Alternatively, I just did a quick web search and went with the best price.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Slacey"Alternatively, I just did a quick web search and went with the best price.

yeah, but then you have to wait for it... and you all know you want it NOW!!!!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Nah, seriously just pop down to halfords or something and pick some up (assuming your not worried about paying a little extra).

Slacey

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"Nah, seriously just pop down to halfords or something and pick some up (assuming your not worried about paying a little extra).
TBH, Halfords were only a couple of quid more, so the web thing could be hassle - but, I'm a contractor, and we are all tight!

Anonymous

I might have a bash at this myself in the new year, what held it in place?

Sean, looks very nice on the black!!

Slacey

Quote from: "Viggs"I might have a bash at this myself in the new year, what held it in place?

Sean, looks very nice on the black!!
Three edges of the mesh tuck under parts of the bay cover, you'll see if you remove the drip tray, the last side edge is fixed down using door-edge protector (again, from Halfords) and double sided sticky stuff - and thanks for the compliment!

Tags: