My SMT with Kirk's engine urethane mount inserts.

Started by Anonymous, August 10, 2005, 14:31

Anonymous

I had these with me for a couple of months without knowing if I should install it. However, for the past 1 week, I have been stripping my car for soundproofing, so I have the convenience to install these inserts.

This will be one of 2 reviews that I will be doing for the next couple of weeks. The next review that's coming will be on soundproofing. In it, I will give everyone a brief introduction of how I go about doing it, and what products to use.

Ok, if you guys know anything about Kirk's urethane engine mount inserts in SC, you should realise that none of the SMT owners have yet reported this installation yet (AFAIK). I'm doing this so as to put all doubts and questions to rest. However, I'm only speaking from my personal opinion, and thus, I hope you guys will use your own discretion and don't believe everything I say.

PRE-INSTALLATION NOTE:[/u]

Front engine mount prior to insert installation.

My SMT has always been well maintained. I'm currently using TRD full synthetic engine oil, TRD oil and air filter, Redline MT-90 tranny oil, Toyota OEM engine coolant. I service my car every 5000km including routine inspection on my engine, brakes and clutch. With all my chassis braces and struts (TRD front+rear tower struts, corky's, TRD front+rear member braces, TTE sways), my car drives with pretty much responsiveness. Other than the occasional clutching slipping from 1st to 2nd during cold start, it's pretty much tip top. Clutch engagement is quick and responsive. I don't have the problems common with pre-2003 SMT ECU, where the clutch slips horribly. My clutch seldom slips. Like all other SMT owners, I never have any shudder of the car during gear engagement like the manual orr the grinding sound from 1st to 2nd gear. So prior to the insert installation, I'm pretty much doubtful as to how these inserts are gonna improve my ride....

POST-INSTALLATION NOTE:[/u]

The installation took about 30 mins. All I can say is I can feel the change immediately....

So this is how it went :- I found out there's tremendous shudder during idle, and it got worse during 1st gear when the rpm was climbing to 1500. Passed that, and the shudder faded. Same thing happened when I reversed. The shudder was (and still is) unbearable. The vibration is so severe, it actually causes a low humming reverberation in the car. It just kinda numbs your ears, and somehow you no longer hear the sound of your engine and exhaust.

I don't really find any improvement in the handling and responsiveness section like many manual owners have claimed in SC. My car behaves exactly like how it used to. Surprisingly, I was hoping that the shudder would be subtle, since I have all the chassis braces. But now I figure, that all the vibration the inserts are absorbing has to translate somewhere, and like I figure, IT DID! The dashboard, your steering wheel, your doors (mind you, mine is sound-dampened! It still shakes), the rear deflectors.

Shifting the gears is just as great as before. However, I do feel a little extra ummph in the car. It picks up rpm quicker. I hope it's not psychological and I figure I will know for sure when the urethane inserts finally settle down in a couple of weeks time. When that happens, I will take the inserts off, and make another comparison.

So if you are looking for good news, I don't have any. I still think the inserts will not improve the SMT ride. But it may have some subtle and mechanical improvements that I'm not aware of. But I'm keeping an open mind, and will comment again in 2 weeks time.

In the meantime, can anyone technical enough to tell me the subtle benefits of having solid engine mounts in a SMT? I just fail to see any right now.

Cheers.

dreambackup

thanks for sharing, I was thinking of installing those on my SMT, soon...

if you change your mind after the "running in" period, please share again  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  because it is a cheap mod, after all  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  )
[size=67]2003 Toyota MR-S 1E3 SMT w/ hardtop, red painted calipers & red J-Spec nose badge, PPE intake w/ Apex\'i air filter, Way-Do TRD + C1 springs, front C1 sway bar, TRD front strut tower brace, Corky\'s breastplate, 1E3 Dev keyhole covers, Che header, Remus dual[/size]

Slacey

Juat to add to this, now mine have been installed for a couple of months they have settled in well. The vibration at cold start and at idle is now negligable and it's not even that noticeable when accelerating from low RPM's.
There were a couple of comments at JAE when I ran the car that the engine now barely moved!
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

dreambackup

does that mean this gets old very badly?
[size=67]2003 Toyota MR-S 1E3 SMT w/ hardtop, red painted calipers & red J-Spec nose badge, PPE intake w/ Apex\'i air filter, Way-Do TRD + C1 springs, front C1 sway bar, TRD front strut tower brace, Corky\'s breastplate, 1E3 Dev keyhole covers, Che header, Remus dual[/size]

Slacey

Quote from: "dreambackup"does that mean this gets old very badly?
No; just that the initial harshness when first installed soon mellows out - you get all of the benefit and none of the drawbacks basically. I expect the polyurethane parts will outlast most of the car!
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Jap GT300

Well I had the TRD ones in for around 12 months and I can say that the vibrations certainly never left.

Obviously these are a different make, but I got so fed up with it I stuck some standard mounts back in.

Anonymous

I don't think the vibration will ever go away - TRD or kirk's inserts. That's they job - providing solid mounts, and translating vibration to somewhere else. If the vibration does go away, it probably mean the inserts got softer over time, and it's really not a good sign as it means your engine is probably shaking like hell again!

DAZ400

Hi guys, I am still alive just not been here for a long time, I am supprised at the comments about the smt having vibration and shuddering and clucth slip. I have never had those problems, well i killed my clutch after the turbo install but that was inevitable, I have now Fidanza ligthened fly wheel and RPS Clutch and gear change is smooth and reliable no problems, all though I have a modified SMT ECU supplied by Toyota when they had issues after the new parts install.
SOLD No more 2. Just a bus for the family..........

heathstimpson

Quote from: "DAZ400"Hi guys, I am still alive just not been here for a long time, I am supprised at the comments about the smt having vibration and shuddering and clucth slip. I have never had those problems, well i killed my clutch after the turbo install but that was inevitable, I have now Fidanza ligthened fly wheel and RPS Clutch and gear change is smooth and reliable no problems, all though I have a modified SMT ECU supplied by Toyota when they had issues after the new parts install.
Slightly off topic: I have just spent a couple of weeks down the road In Menorca to you Darren but could not trace you. Where do you hide  s:?: :?: s:?:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

DAZ400

Hi, I live and spend most of the time in the port of Mahon or Mao, but you would not have seen my 2 as it is in a lockup for a while as the spanish don't give a sh!t about other peoples cars and july and august is so busy it is silly season so i have protected her for the silly season. On the port it is all // parking and bump the car in front then the car behind you get the idear......... and I like my car too much for all the bumping.
SOLD No more 2. Just a bus for the family..........

heathstimpson

Quote from: "DAZ400"Hi, I live and spend most of the time in the port of Mahon or Mao, but you would not have seen my 2 as it is in a lockup for a while as the spanish don't give a sh!t about other peoples cars and july and august is so busy it is silly season so i have protected her for the silly season. On the port it is all // parking and bump the car in front then the car behind you get the idear......... and I like my car too much for all the bumping.
I spent two days in Mahon asking after you; and I was going to buy you a beer as well  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  Some lovely boats in the harbour with some lovely looking Chinchillas on board  s8) 8) s8)

Tem

Quote from: "heathstimpson"
Quote from: "DAZ400"Hi, I live and spend most of the time in the port of Mahon or Mao, but you would not have seen my 2 as it is in a lockup for a while as the spanish don't give a sh!t about other peoples cars and july and august is so busy it is silly season so i have protected her for the silly season. On the port it is all // parking and bump the car in front then the car behind you get the idear......... and I like my car too much for all the bumping.
I spent two days in Mahon asking after you; and I was going to buy you a beer as well  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  Some lovely boats in the harbour with some lovely looking Chinchillas on board  s8) 8) s8)

Quote from: "heathstimpson"Yes please now get back on topic  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

s;) ;) s;)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Quote from: "DAZ400"Hi guys, I am still alive just not been here for a long time, I am supprised at the comments about the smt having vibration and shuddering and clucth slip. I have never had those problems, well i killed my clutch after the turbo install but that was inevitable, I have now Fidanza ligthened fly wheel and RPS Clutch and gear change is smooth and reliable no problems, all though I have a modified SMT ECU supplied by Toyota when they had issues after the new parts install.

DAZ400, may I suggest you take a second look at the title of the thread, as well as my first post. You aint doing justice to the SMT owners. If you still haven't figure out :- we are discussing about the vibration AFTER THE INSTALLATION OF KIRK'S URETHANE MOUNT INSERTS.

s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "heathstimpson"

Quote from: "heathstimpson"Yes please now get back on topic  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

s;) ;) s;)
Sorry will pm future notes  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Tags: