New Air Dam for Hass Turbo

Started by markiii, December 18, 2005, 18:31

markiii

As any of you who've seen the Hass Turbo installed will know teh standard "Air Dam" scoop for teh intercooler is, while functional, aestetcally pants.

Looking like a 2 year old was let loose with a hack saw.

That said it does have teh advantage of being secured such that if hit by road debris it will come off rather than butcher the intercooler.

I've been pondering a replacement that is more stock in appearance for a while, this weekend I finally got around to building it.

I took the stock rear nappy and covered teh holes with some aluminium chequer plate, to direct air onto the intercooler rather than letting it blow straight out again.

I then used some black rubber doorstops and longer bolts to adjust how low teh leading edge of teh plastic sits.

the end result  sits fractionally lower than teh hass scoop and looks class (IMHO)

all comments welcome from both an appearance or functionality perspective.

I've yet tp give it a good run to test it, but plan on covering teh opening with some mesh to prevent it acting as a rock shovel as well.

Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

I see you never did take that steam cleaner back to Halfrauds, then?  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Looks very nice mate, although I think I personally prefer being able to see the IC from the rear of the car. Still, at least your car is a true 'sleeper' now (excluding the loud noises, obviously!). As for function, I reckon that's gotta be better than the crap Hass supplied with the kit.

kanujunkie

interesting idea there Mark, nice to see a stock appearance to the back of the 2 whist haveing a practical application, just need those tips welded on now
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

markiii

LOL, need to take it back this week.

my intention all along was to keep it looking subtle, no turbo badges on teh rear for me  :-) :-) :-)

as for loud, I've definatelty decided thsi weekend, the bullet muffler has to go, it's just too sodding loud, a job to get done when my new tips go on in teh new year methinks.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"as for loud, I've definatelty decided thsi weekend, the bullet muffler has to go, it's just too sodding loud

...or are you too old?  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

I need to get my 2nd leg put on next year, and I think I may go with an ecen smaller hole than you went with. It is quite boomy, and I do feel a bit of prat driving through small villages with it.

BenF

Nice work Mark, looks good.

What's the airflow out of the other side of the I/C like - have you freed anything up there ...?
Chargecooled PE Turbo, Unichip, TRD Front brace, Corky's Breastplate, Tein SS springs.

Joe Schmoe

My diaper tore just because I cut it out for a Team Moon single.  I'd look for yours to tear in short order.  The plastic just isn't thick enough.  

I agree with the fact that it looks lousy, but I think you should go a different route.

Tem

Interesting idea mark, might give it a go myself  s8) 8) s8)

I have already blocked those holes in mine and I don't have the front cover at all though. But seems like a nice idea to drop the front of the 2nd cover a bit  s8) 8) s8)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

kanujunkie

and i suppose this would work on any car, even without an IC, bit more engine bay cooling never goes a miss
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Slacey

Looks good Mark. Let me know if the benefits are worth it and I might give it a go. I did actually take mine out of the garage on Saturday and due to the cooler temps run 10psi - wow! Like sh*t off a shovel and absolutely no issues at all - it was good to be back out in it  s:) :) s:)  

I did have a check around in the engine bay after the (hard) 10psi run and I was pleased to note that the IC pipe and IC itself were actually cool. So, it seems the Hass flap thing does work but only effectively when the outside temps are lower enough to help it. Have you seen the dual fan setup he sells now? I wonder if we could put together our own kit over here as the shipping from the US kills the deal (as I found with my MAF conversion)  s:( :( s:(
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

aaronjb

Quote from: "Slacey"Have you seen the dual fan setup he sells now? I wonder if we could put together our own kit over here as the shipping from the US kills the deal (as I found with my MAF conversion)  s:( :( s:(

Have a search around on IMOC - I think Steve (Goto10) posted details of a supplier of Spal fans not so long ago (I'll see if I can find it later)..

Though they're only going to help (unless you have really poor airflow) when stationary, IMHO, as you move a lot more air simply by driving along..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

heathstimpson

The air dam was the one bit of the Hass install that I also felt looked a bit of a bodged after thought personally. Your mod looks miles better and has a more professional finish to it; nice one Mark  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Tags: