My engine sounds a bit like a diesel, is this bad?

Started by Anonymous, January 22, 2006, 09:50

Anonymous

I may be wrong here but does oil not come out the exhaust if the cylinder head goes and the oil and water get mixed in together? someone might be able to confirm this, i may be completely way off the mark.

markiii

Quote from: "daz8365"I've just phoned my local Mr T to ask about getting the precats taken out and how much, the Technician is away to check because he has never heard of this being taken out.........what chance have you got!!!  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

thats because mechanically you can't remove them, i.e not bolt on and off

what your effectively doing is knocking 7 bells out of teh ceramic cat material until it drops out of the manifold.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

leon_in_uk

cheers daz, i think ts something like that.

anyway. i think i might go straight down to toyota now.. so the end result...

The diesel sound only sounds when reving in gear and after the bite...

and quite alot of smoke

and a bit of oil just dropped out of my exhaust even tho i only put 1 litre in yesterday.
For sale: 3.5 v6 Nissan murano
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
Porsche Boxster 987, lapis blue, leather heated seats, xenons,, twin pipe...
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport
Silver MR-2, newish engine, clutch new alternator. Gutted Pre Cats..... MODS.....
HKS exhaust. markiii pipe, Anthracite Alloys. Red Calipers with Spyder decals. . Lowered 40mm. 03 vents, chrome jet washers lol... and my helpful Road Angel \":)\"

aaronjb

Quote from: "leon_in_uk"The diesel sound only sounds when reving in gear and after the bite...

That sounds like it's probably the main bearings, then  s:( :( s:(  Not good. Rebuild time, as long as the crank is salvageable.

Quoteand quite alot of smoke

and a bit of oil just dropped out of my exhaust even though i only put 1 litre in yesterday.

And your piston rings and/or cylinder bores are shot, so it's eating oil - which is what left you with no oil in the first place.

If you're under warranty, fight for a new engine. If not.. get a secondhand engine and get that put in unless you have extremely deep pockets..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

rmowbray

I have to say I'm a bit confused as to why you don't get any noticable noise when reving in neutral.   s:? :? s:?  But other than that it does sound like crank bearing failure brought on by low oil level which was (probably) brought on by high oil consumption which was (probably) brought on by excessive engine wear which was (probably) brought on by pre-cat break up. [Takes breath]

There's a lot of probably's and supposition there so obviously it would be a good idea to get a qualified mechanics opinion. If it is the crank bearings they'll recognise the sound straight away.

The oil coming from the exhaust does suggest that the cylinders as so badly scored/worn that oil is blowing past the piston rings and being pushed out the engine on the exhaust stroke. From the amount of oil you describe this could mean (here I go again with the bad news   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  ) that your main cat will be oil fouled and need replacing.

Best of luck mate. I hope it works out ok and not too expensive. If you find you need a replacement engine PM me as I have a list of companies in the north west, or ask Adam (Jap GT300).

leon_in_uk

hi lads..

right took it to my step dads last night and he knows a bit..

he said its not the big ends.. said either the timing belt or the crank shaft..

it was smoking and stuff when the engine was cold and wastn run for over a day...

so fingers crossed its only 1 part of my engine!

anyway i am taking to toyota today to hopefully get a free opinion on what the sound is, then start looking for that part...

so fingers crossed, and hopefully toyota will help!
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport
Silver MR-2, newish engine, clutch new alternator. Gutted Pre Cats..... MODS.....
HKS exhaust. markiii pipe, Anthracite Alloys. Red Calipers with Spyder decals. . Lowered 40mm. 03 vents, chrome jet washers lol... and my helpful Road Angel \":)\"

rmowbray

Good luck mate. I hope it's not as serious as I feared.

I've got my fingers crossed for you.

aaronjb

Quote from: "leon_in_uk"he said its not the big ends.. said either the timing belt or the crank shaft..

Well I can tell you now it's not the timing belt... we don't have one  s;) ;) s;)  It's a chain on these engines - and it's unlikely (though not impossible) that it's that.

One thought did just occur to me - maybe it's the serpentine belt tensioner problem, as that sounds very diesel like..

Does the noise appear to be coming from the right hand end of the bay at all?

If it's the crank, btw, then that would make what I said earlier right - main bearings (thats the ones between the crank & the bottom of the engine block). Replacing the crank would be a full tear-down, too, with new bearings and possibly a new crank (expensive, very).

Fingers crossed the main problem is the serpentine belt tensioner, then!
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

leon_in_uk

well he said it sounded to be coming from the top. somewhere and the diesel sound isnt as loud as if it was a massive job. it is a slight diesel sound...

i guess the only way to find out would be to take it to toyota today and get them to listen to it!!

oh and i filled my car up last night with nearly 2 litres of oil, and there werent that much improvemnet on the dip stick either..
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

SteveJ

Quote from: "leon_in_uk"well he said it sounded to be coming from the top. somewhere and the diesel sound isnt as loud as if it was a massive job. it is a slight diesel sound...

i guess the only way to find out would be to take it to toyota today and get them to listen to it!!

oh and i filled my car up last night with nearly 2 litres of oil, and there werent that much improvemnet on the dip stick either..

That could be the tappets running without any oil (The 1ZZ has hydraulic tappets). I seem to recall a panicy phone call from Mark Jones (markiii) just prior to a meet a couple of years ago as his engine was sounding particularly bad. Topped up the oil and it has been fine since (and he is now turbo)

Still not convinced you are going to be so lucky though as I suspect you have been driving around with low oil for far too long.

leon_in_uk

thanks for your help guys, i will lte you know what toyota say!!

im thinking between £500 and 1k estimate tho..
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

leon_in_uk

from MrT... and my mate that works there, said its a common problem with the mr2's.. he listened and said its defo the bottom end?????

whats that then? he said it didnt sound good, and the first thing for me to do is to open up the sunk cover thingy and check the big ends and bearings?? my step dad should be able to do that!!

if it isnt that then maybe 15 hours + looking into!!

so could be like 2 grand..

HELP!!!  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

rmowbray

S**t man, sorry to hear that.   s:( :( s:(  

Bottom end = Crankshaft bearings (where the crank is held in the engine casing) and big end bearings (where the con rods attach to the crankshaft)

It could be either or both of these that is making the noise.

I would expect that the cost of doing a repair to the engine will be greater than the cost of dropping a replacement in. That's what I found when it happened to me. Personally I'd try to source a relatively low milage engine. They're more common than you might think 'cos they're used in the Avensis too.

leon_in_uk

cheers matey..

he said it may last about 1000 miles too, but not pushing it!!

first of all i am looking at the bearings and big ends, cus might only be them...

how much do you think i will be looking for a new engine then?
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

rmowbray

When I got the prelim diagnosis from the mechanic "your engine's f**kd, you need a new one", my view was: what did I have to lose by driving it (a bit). The worst that could happen was that I'd need a new engine! That said I wouldn't drive much/far/fast for safety reasons.

I got quoted prices ranging from £1000 inc VAT for a 2001 with 35k miles upto £1350+VAT for a 54 plate with 6000 miles. Fitting will cost around £350 to £400 but if you have it fitted by the supplier they will usually do it cheaper (around £250 to £300).

Andy (Jap GT300) regularly has engines in, send him a message. He offered me a replacement, the only reason I didn't go to him was how far away he is from me.

Best of luck mate.

leon_in_uk

thanks mate, i will ask the question.
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

leon_in_uk

hi. my car is really loud now and sounds like a tank..

i have been quoted £995 for an engine he didnt no the mileage for...

and £1000 for an engine 12k and £300 fitted.

£1300 for a good engine fitted!!!

that int bad is it?

although i am still driving my car until it completely dies. hopefully will last a couple of months when i can afford it...
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

markiii

£1300 isn't bad inc fitting

whats teh warranty? make sure yoru rpecats are gutted
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

leon_in_uk

umm, i didnt ask what warranty. the website is  w www.japaneseengines.co.uk w  and they are cocknys..

but he said the mileage etc will be on the invoice and they are a reputable company been going for 12 years...

if only i would of checked my oil 2 weeks ago!!! how long do you think it will last? more then a couple of months
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

Anonymous

Quote from: "leon_in_uk"if only i would of checked my oil 2 weeks ago!!! how long do you think it will last? more then a couple of months

Is there not the possibility of seizure (engine....not heart) if you are unlucky? Perhaps someone with a better knowledge could comment....

I'd be a little unsure of driving around, particularly on the motorway. Engine dying in the fast lane...hmmmmm, no thanks   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

aaronjb

Quote from: "weaselchops"Is there not the possibility of seizure (engine....not heart) if you are unlucky? Perhaps someone with a better knowledge could comment....

Potentially, yes.. if the bearings are damaged to the point where they weld themselves to the crank, and spit a conrod through the side of the block..

leon_in_uk

i drive 2 miles a day.. and below 30mph. is it still dodgy? would it wreck my body work or anything?
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

kanujunkie

just do yourself a favour mate and go to a garage!  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

leon_in_uk

im gonna risk it.. it will be funny to see what happens if i keep driving it...

nah i am getting the funds sorted and should get it done within the next couple of weeks anyway.
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

SteveJ

Quote from: "leon_in_uk"I'm gonna risk it.. it will be funny to see what happens if i keep driving it...

It will be even funnier when the engine seizes mid corner shredding the gearbox, final drive and the drive shafts whilst pitching the car into a spin and under the wheels of the oncoming articulated lorry.

And thats not to mention the accidents caused by people sliding on the oil pouring out of your exhaust.

Get the car fixed before you drive it  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

Tags: