Different MR2 Roadster?

Started by scottee, February 11, 2004, 12:28

scottee

I'm about to buy an imported MRS. I was told that Toyota never changed the spec of it, but this one has Red Leather interior and A/C, plus a 5" Color Screen CD/MiniDisc (Toyota Branded). Does anyone know if this is standard (its a 2000 from japan) or if that stereo has been put in from another model Toyota?

Slacey

It sounds standard for a Jap import, it's that it probably has the Nav-pod screen installed.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

scottee

hmmm nav-pod, do you mind if i ask what that is? the guy didnt mention that it did anything special, except it was CD/MD, I wasnt expecting this cool looking screen when I got there lol

Anonymous

A sat-nav system.

scottee

hmmm sweet, he never mentioned it though lol, i'll just find out when I go up to buy it next sunday. Then on to the quest to find sideskirts for it (i've been looking around, and most are kinda expensive, I only paid £150 for my 306 ones, and the ones i've seen for the MRS are 400-ish) Anyways, thats a discussion for another time hehe.

Thanks for your swift help!  s:) :) s:)

Slacey

Have you seen inside a '2 yet? The UK spec cars have a storage bin in the middle of the top dashboard, the Japanese market had an option for a Sat-Nav media system with screen fitted here instead, it could be that - or, it could be that the previous owner put a deceny H/U in place of the stock radio that incorporates a flip-out screen.

scottee

Yea i've been inside the car. And you are right, where the storage in the UK spec car (my mate had one) in the front, thats missing, and this big color screen is in its place, its not a flipout one, just static, looks sweet... actually one other question (sorry!) will I be able to pick up UK radio stations on that radio, or will it pick up different jap fequencies (maybe the are lower/higher?)

Anonymous

Quote from: "Slacey"Have you seen inside a '2 yet? The UK spec cars have a storage bin in the middle of the top dashboard

Kris' site is dead handy for things like this... this pic of example:
http://www.mr2-roadster.co.uk/photos/first-day/photo.htm?image=S2300007.jpg

The storage bin Slacey mentions is in the centre on top of the dash about those central vents and has Kris' sunnys sitting on them.  That lifts up (hinging at the back) on most and has small bit of storage under it (I use mine for CDs).

scottee

ah.. no not the upper storage, its ALOT lower, below where the head unit is on that car, closer to the gear-stick/floor

dieamond

The jap version is very good, you'll have shorter gear ratios than the euro version, which means a far better acceleration !
TRD - Cusco - C-One - Tom\'s - Amuse - Top secret - Veilside - Spoon - Blitz - Invidia
JUN - Racing Gear - APR Performance - HKS - Apexi - Project Mu - Trial

Anonymous

Quote from: "scottee"ah.. no not the upper storage, its ALOT lower, below where the head unit is on that car, closer to the gear-stick/floor

In which case it's almost certainly an uprated headunit.  Nice one  s:) :) s:)

scottee

cool. This forum seems really friendly, the other one (which im sure most of you are on aswell) spyderchat, seemed a little hostile to new people. Do you guys have meets etc? i'd be well up to travel to one once i get the car

scottee

Ah here we go:

m http://www.mr2-roadster.co.uk/photos/fi ... 300002.jpg m

Where the cig lighter is, thats where the head unit is located... im sure i'll be posting loads of pics, and stupid dumbass newbie questions as soon as I get it lol

SimonC_Here

Check out the events section for things near (and not so near) you.
Where about are you from?

We are generally a friendly bunch but no comments about the fastest colour please, it could go on for ages!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Simon

Anonymous

Scottee
Good to see you came over to us here. It was me that gave you the pointer on spyderchat   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Slacey

In answer to the meets, we have plenty - where are you located?

aaronjb

Quote from: "SimonC_Here"We are generally a friendly bunch but no comments about the fastest colour please, it could go on for ages!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

I can't see why, everyone knows Blue is the fastest  s;) ;) s;)

Welcome to the club scottee - most people are friendly, just watch out for that Craig in case he tries to set up home on your lawn..

Aaron
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

scottee

I'm in Swansea, South Wales, I dont mind traveling, im going to London to pick the MRS up! haha

aaronjb

Small world, my better half lives in Swansea (and I live right next to London, lol).

On the subject of the radio - if it's an uprated Japanese HU, you'll most likely need a band expander to pick up UK radio stations.. Pretty cheap, in fact I think I have one in the shed if you want it..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

scottee

I'm not sure if the radio has one fitted already, I didnt think of that when I went up to see it (duh), I know hes had the speedo etc converted from kph to mph, so you never know he might of done the radio hehe.

Yah, small world, Swansea isnt the greatest place to have a softtop, rain rain rain, but hey... i guess that leaves me to hunt down a hardtop (although i've seen the prices, my bank manager would have a fit!)

Plus good ol' insurance aint to happy about me driving the car at 24, but never mind! haha

SimonC_Here

For events, it might be a bit early but there is always this one:
http://www.mr2roc.org/viewtopic.php?t=1481

You could always go and watch/meet some members if you don't fancy the track.

Simon

Anonymous

Welcome to the club scottie, bet you cant wait for the 2 now eh!

Oh, to clear a couple of things up, BLUE is obviosuly the fastest colour, and...what was the other thing.....oh yeah, do you have a lawn I can camp on?  (dont worry, long story, Mark's psyco-squirrels are annoying me now)

Anonymous

Quote from: "cstevens"Oh, to clear a couple of things up, BLUE is obviosuly the fastest colour, and...what was the other thing.....oh yeah, do you have a lawn I can camp on?  (dont worry, long story, Mark's psyco-squirrels are annoying me now)

Craig... what have we told you about scaring the new members away!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

scottee

Quote from: "cstevens"Oh, to clear a couple of things up, BLUE is obviosuly the fastest colour

nah man, we all know SILVER is the FASTER colour, haha ok, lets stop at that   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

Quote from: "cstevens"oh yeah, do you have a lawn I can camp on?  (dont worry, long story, Mark's psyco-squirrels are annoying me now)

yea dude, im in wales, we have 100miles of lawn you can camp on, aslong as you dont mind the sheep hahaha

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "scottee"actually one other question (sorry!) will I be able to pick up UK radio stations on that radio, or will it pick up different jap fequencies (maybe the are lower/higher?)

Erm, folks this isn't chit-chat or events......so back on topic.

Nope. Radio and TV frequencies are different. I remember the bloke with the lovely silver imported 2 at JAE last year, he was very p***ed off as he had sat nav, TV, the fulll works when he imported his Roadster. Then found out it was worthless.

Tags: